Garmin - eTrex 10 GPS

Zaise

I'm considering upgrading from my Explorist GC to the Garmin eTrex 10 for an upcoming camping/geocaching trip in a few days. I was wondering if anyone who's had experience with it would recommend it (or give any cons to it) and give advice with using it.

Also I have a few questions about it, like can I connect it to an apple computer to upload cache information. Also, can I load maps on it? I read that it can't have detailed maps, and I'm hoping I read that wrong.

Thanks everyone!

-Zaise

Also, can I load maps on it? I read that it can't have detailed maps, and I'm hoping I read that wrong.

You read right, you can't put detailed maps on the Etrex10, which is why I would recommend going for the Etrex20 or 30 (both will take maps) if you can afford the extra. The Etrex20 & 30 will also appear as a removable drive when you plug into your Apple, and you can drag and drop caches onto them as you would a memory stick - I don't know whether the Etrex10 does that or not.

We had an Etrex 10 for the first 6 months of caching. We soon upgraded to an Etrex 20 as we had a few frustrating moments where the cache was very close but we couldn't get to it because of a railway line or a river none of which show up on the Etrex 10.

Sorry I don't use and apple so can't comment on that.

Also, can I load maps on it? I read that it can't have detailed maps, and I'm hoping I read that wrong.

You read right, you can't put detailed maps on the Etrex10, which is why I would recommend going for the Etrex20 or 30 (both will take maps) if you can afford the extra. The Etrex20 & 30 will also appear as a removable drive when you plug into your Apple, and you can drag and drop caches onto them as you would a memory stick - I don't know whether the Etrex10 does that or not.

+1.

I ignore Odourless ... not even sure why he comes here. According to his profile he's not a geocacher ...

Oh Susy & Pops, I wish you would ignore me but you DON'T... :rolleyes:

--------------------------------------

I'm a pilot that uses my Garmin to fly a plane, like up in the sky! So sorry Susy, I haven't found a geocache there yet... LOL!

I own Etrex, Oregon and Nuvi for recreational use as well as other professional avionics Garmins.

My experience has shown that the clunky Etrex is everything the Oregon is not!

Etrex is slow, clunky and limited. Oregon is fast, smooth and rather expandable although pricey.

So when I bought an Etrex previously I found it very frustrating and it now lives exclusively in the boat. Bought an Oregon... WOW: Chalk & Cheese!

Couldn't be happier as the Oregon's ease of use rivals my iPhone.

r9lmc4.jpg

B)

~

Edited by Odourless
I'm a pilot that uses my Garmin to fly a plane, like up in the sky! So sorry Susy, I haven't found a geocache there yet... LOL

Y'see, right there's a problem of credibility and relevance. In a forum mostly about geocaching, opinions of people who actually engage in the sport tend to carry more weight.

The various eTrex models past and present might not be a pilot's choice - but they work dandy for a lot of geocachers. When I want something for the cockpit I'll ask a pilot's opinion.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll stick with my eXplorist GC until I can afford the Etrex20 or 30, or comparable GPS device. Probably not the Garmin Oregon 650t, as that is a little above my price range.

Good call. Also be on the lookout for GPSMAP 62s (the 's' stands for sensors) or Oregon 450 devices that are on sale. Several months ago you could find them for around $200.