puzzle caches

crazypig88

I'm not going to try to answer your question because it's not possible. Instead, I'll just offer advice:

1. Start with puzzles with low difficulty ratings. D2 would be a good choice. (D1's are sometimes so trivial they really can't be considered puzzles.)

2. Look for puzzles that strike you as fun right from the first impression. That way you're more likely to enjoy solving them regardless of whether they get you to actual caches.

3. Remember you're doing it for fun, so don't get frustrated if you can't solve one.

4. Puzzle caches are a learning experience, both for the puzzle solving and for the relation of the puzzles to the hides, so the more you do them, the easier they'll get.

I'm not going to try to answer your question because it's not possible. Instead, I'll just offer advice:

1. Start with puzzles with low difficulty ratings. D2 would be a good choice. (D1's are sometimes so trivial they really can't be considered puzzles.)

2. Look for puzzles that strike you as fun right from the first impression. That way you're more likely to enjoy solving them regardless of whether they get you to actual caches.

I hope dprovan doesn't mind me slipping a 2.5 in here, but I'd add:

2.5. Start off by looking for puzzles where it's quite clear what the solving method is - eg. clearly explained sudoku, crossword, etc - and then later move on to puzzles where the method is less clear as you develop your puzzle solving strategies.

3. Remember you're doing it for fun, so don't get frustrated if you can't solve one.

4. Puzzle caches are a learning experience, both for the puzzle solving and for the relation of the puzzles to the hides, so the more you do them, the easier they'll get.

I've seen a few puzzle caches that would be easier for a 13-year-old who is still in school than for someone like me. Sure, I can review something that I learned (and forgot) decades ago, but it would be easier for someone who had learned it recently, for whom it was still fresh.

And since you're interested in puzzles, here are some general puzzle tips that I've posted before (based in part on a puzzle-solving class event presented by The Rat a while ago):

Identify the theme. Check the cache title, the hint, the HTML source, the graphics (including names/URLs), any links (including URLs), whatever is at the posted coordinates, etc. If you can figure out the theme, then you should look for numbering systems that are associated with that theme (zip codes, athletes’ jersey numbers, episode numbers, product codes, etc.).

Around here, coordinates will have 15 digits, and will look like "N 37° xx.xxx W 122° xx.xxx". So when I'm solving a nearby puzzle, I look for a group of 15 things, and then I look for ways to get the digits 37xxxxx122xxxxx from them. In general, I look for ways to get the number 37 (or the digits 3 and 7) from something near the beginning of the puzzle, and the number 122 (or the digits 1, 2, and 2) from something near the middle of the puzzle. (Of course, you'll need to adjust this for the coordinates near you.)

Other useful resources include:

Puzzle Solving 101 Series (bookmark list)

Puzzle Shortcuts Series (bookmark list)

Solving Puzzle Caches (online article)

How Do I Solve All These $@! Puzzle Caches? (tutorial-style puzzle cache)

Puzzle FUNdamentals (archived event cache) and the Puzzle FUNdamentals resources on the GeocacheAlaska! education page

The GBA's Puzzle Cache FAQ (for puzzle designers, but useful for understanding how puzzle caches work)

If you’re interested in extremely challenging puzzles, then consider the online discussions of Venona’s ACTIVITIES in the GBA forums. The puzzles for this annual event are very challenging, intended to be solved by multiple people working together online. (You'll need to register on the GBA site to view these forum threads.)

Overview: Venona's 2011 ACTIVITIES

Overview: Venona's 2012 ACTIVITIES

Forget puzzle caches, just get off your butt, away from the computer and go caching, you will be a better person for it.

Says Roman...from his computer.

Forget puzzle caches, just get off your butt, away from the computer and go caching, you will be a better person for it.

Better than who?

Human being = mind + body.

I'd say greater potential will be achieved by exercising both B)

Indeed. That whole argument about puzzles meaning all you are doing is sitting in front of a computer all day instead of geocaching is utter nonsense.

I've noticed that there are many posters on the forum who have MANY more Forum Posts than Geocache Finds.

I've noticed that there are many posters on the forum who pay a curious amount of attention to other people's profiles.

I've noticed that there are many posters on the forum who have MANY more Forum Posts than Geocache Finds.

I've noticed that there are many posters on the forum who pay a curious amount of attention to other people's profiles.

They are just one click away.

Puzzles can be ridiculously easy or ridiculously hard. I loved the early ones (pre-2005 or so) because they were original at the time and the solving method was clear. So many puzzles today require complex computer programming skills or other specialized knowledge or talents that they exclude most geocachers. A lot of "puzzle caches" really aren't puzzles at all, but research caches. They are themed on something, like a movie or TV show, or baseball teams or players, etc. If you enjoy looking trivia up or maybe you're a baseball or movie fan yourself, these can be fun and not too hard. Sometimes it's not easy to figure out what you are supposed to do with those once you have done the research. Do the coordinates come from the year of release, the episode number, the first letter of the name, etc.? There is a good facebook group to give help to people like you who are just starting to do puzzles. It's called Geocaching Puzzle Help. Don't be shy about asking for help there or from the CO. After you've solved a few, even with a lot of help, it gets a lot easier and they can be so much more fun than the same old lamp post hides and bison tubes hanging on a fence. Often the final location is in theme with the puzzle.

There is this puzzle cache that has been annoying me because I can't solve it for a while. It's gc code is GC3J9CB . I know who's birthday it is but I'm not getting how you can extract coordinates out of it

I believe that asking for / giving puzzle hints here on these forums is against the Terms Of Use?

Having said that, I don't think there's anything wrong with me pointing out to you - in case you haven't noticed, that you can check your solution for that puzzle with Certitude - by clicking the little green and white circle icon at the bottom of the cache page - and that you are required to provide not coordinates - but a keyword.

Other than that - everything you need to solve that puzzle is on the cache page - and I was lucky enough to be able to solve it in under a minute.

Go back and read everything on the cache page again - carefully - and good luck B)

There is this puzzle cache that has been annoying me because I can't solve it for a while. It's gc code is GC3J9CB . I know who's birthday it is but I'm not getting how you can extract coordinates out of it

I believe that asking for / giving puzzle hints here on these forums is against the Terms Of Use?

Having said that, I don't think there's anything wrong with me pointing out to you - in case you haven't noticed, that you can check your solution for that puzzle with Certitude - by clicking the little green and white circle icon at the bottom of the cache page - and that you are required to provide not coordinates - but a keyword.

Other than that - everything you need to solve that puzzle is on the cache page - and I was lucky enough to be able to solve it in under a minute.

Go back and read everything on the cache page again - carefully - and good luck B)

You do not realize how stupid I feel right now! I would not have thought to check certitude before even solving it as I have only solved two puzzle caches and they were both coordinate entries. I salute you for that helpful tip!

OT. I've been waiting for you to post just so I could reply... We need someone with a Larry avatar... :laughing:

Am I allowed to ask if the puzzle I'm working on is a good idea? Or will that be off-topic and in poor taste?

Well, not poor taste, but perhaps it is off topic to the CO's post but its at least on the same subject. You can email me if you like and can give my opinion. Have done my share of puzzles.

Am I allowed to ask if the puzzle I'm working on is a good idea? Or will that be off-topic and in poor taste?

Well, not poor taste, but perhaps it is off topic to the CO's post but its at least on the same subject. You can email me if you like and can give my opinion. Have done my share of puzzles.

I will. Thanks!

I'm well aware that my idea has probably been used before, but I thought it would be a simple puzzle anyone could do with a bit of leg work.

The puzzle itself is a large redwood box at the front desk of a library, but the coordinates themselves are wrong.

In order to find the final cache, cachers will have to find five caches in a series whose theme is also linked to the final of the puzzle. In two of these five the coordinates are hidden, but in order to virtually log the find on the cache, cachers must find all five caches in the series.

In return for the legwork I mentioned above, I put as expensive SWAG as I was willing to spend on inside, as well as the full television series the puzzle is themed on on a flash drive, and I'm buying five trackables to start in the final cache.

It's not complicated, but one of the caches is about forty miles from the final. The others are within ten to twenty of it.

Thanks for being okay with me asking. :lol:

Edited by KaRue

I'm well aware that my idea has probably been used before, but I thought it would be a simple puzzle anyone could do with a bit of leg work.

The puzzle itself is a large redwood box at the front desk of a library, but the coordinates themselves are wrong.

In order to find the final cache, cachers will have to find five caches in a series whose theme is also linked to the final of the puzzle. In two of these five the coordinates are hidden, but in order to virtually log the find on the cache, cachers must find all five caches in the series.

"in order to virtually log the find on the cache"

What you're planning would be a Bonus Cache.

However, virtual logging is ... Dubious. :unsure:

If there's a series of five caches, two of which hold the needed information for the bonus cache, what happens if I get lucky and visit just those two caches, skipping the other three?

If the answer is "enjoy the bonus cache and congratulations on being so lucky" then that's a fine design.

If the answer is "no, you must find all five caches or I will delete your log on the bonus cache" then that's an impermissible additional logging requirement, or "ALR."

If you want someone to find all five caches, then put necessary elements for the final bonus cache solution in EACH of the five caches. Even then, if someone correctly guesses one or more of the elements and proceeds to the correct coordinates for the bonus cache, their online "found it" log would stand so long as they signed the physical log. (It is better to say "online log" rather than "virtual log.")

If there's a series of five caches, two of which hold the needed information for the bonus cache, what happens if I get lucky and visit just those two caches, skipping the other three?

If the answer is "enjoy the bonus cache and congratulations on being so lucky" then that's a fine design.

If the answer is "no, you must find all five caches or I will delete your log on the bonus cache" then that's an impermissible additional logging requirement, or "ALR."

If you want someone to find all five caches, then put necessary elements for the final bonus cache solution in EACH of the five caches. Even then, if someone correctly guesses one or more of the elements and proceeds to the correct coordinates for the bonus cache, their online "found it" log would stand so long as they signed the physical log. (It is better to say "online log" rather than "virtual log.")

Oh I know. :)

If they find the two with the coordinates, then by all means they can go for it.