Geocacher?

Andronicus

"What was concerning or alarming to this citizen was it didn't appear this young girl was moving," Const. Ian MacDonald ...

I'm assuming your kids are alert and oriented and don't appear unconscious when you're carrying them;). Good to see the LEO's taking it seriously, although in the absence of a missing child report, it seems like it would resolve pretty quickly.

"What was concerning or alarming to this citizen was it didn't appear this young girl was moving," Const. Ian MacDonald ...

I'm assuming your kids are alert and oriented and don't appear unconscious when you're carrying them;). Good to see the LEO's taking it seriously, although in the absence of a missing child report, it seems like it would resolve pretty quickly.

+1

The story does not say the girl was still when being carried, it says she was still when lying on the ground. I've often seen kids lie still.

But yes, an investigation was required.

People report this kind of activity all the time, convinced by the "news media" that extreme danger lurks around every corner and by the "entertainment media" that psychopaths inhabit every neighbourhood and playground.

Somehow people consider "reporting it" as doing enough, and they are further convinced they are doing a greater good (not wasting resources).

They do this with "good intentions" however they very very rarely are concerned enough to:

1) investigate and intervene,

2) gather good intelligence (licence plate, physical descriptions, etc), or

3) stop and wait for emergency services to arrive.

Doesn't sound like this was a geocacher since i can't fathom why the girl was laying by the side of the road, not moving, in the first place. I suppose the girl could have just tripped and fallen but that doesn't explain why the man had to carry her into the woods.

For my own experience,,, i cache with my 6 year old daughter sometimes. On one cache, she was 4 at the time, i parked the car on a dirt road and we walked the 300 or so feet back around to where the gpsr pointed. This was within sight of a busy road with lots of traffic. Sure enough, there were two sheriff patrol cars waiting for us when we got back to the car. They told me they had received a call from a passing motorist and wanted to check things out. Gave my name and that she was my daughter which satisfied them completely.

Honestly, i'm glad there are people who notice these types of things and then make the call to the proper authorities but i agree with MKFamily in that people shouldn't just make the call. If they are that concerned, then they need to do more. Intervening may not be an option but they should at least try to get a description of person{s}, description of vehicle, if any, and remain near the scene to aid arriving police and/or emergency services.

Doesn't sound like this was a geocacher since i can't fathom why the girl was laying by the side of the road, not moving, in the first place. I suppose the girl could have just tripped and fallen but that doesn't explain why the man had to carry her into the woods.

My guess is a dad taking the kid to the trees to pee. "by the side of the road, not moving," may or may not have been reality, especialy the "not moving" part. The "hero" was driving by, and judging movment can be difficult. Maybe the kid tripped or was throughing a tantrum.

Anyway, while I agree it was probably not a geocacher, I just think that it easyly could have been me with one of my kids. I have had enough LEO encounters (police helicopter, beat cops, MPs), I don't want one like this.

Dad told her that they were going on a treasure hunt, but then she found out it was a micro in the woods.

Yeah, I could see it happening..

Or maybe they just finished doing a power trail and found 150 nearly identical containers in a row. That would put most kids asleep, which would explain why she wasn't moving.

Dad told her that they were going on a treasure hunt, but then she found out it was a micro in the woods.

Yeah, I could see it happening..

Or maybe they just finished doing a power trail and found 150 nearly identical containers in a row. That would put most kids asleep, which would explain why she wasn't moving.

laugh.gif

After about 20 or so Ive had enough.

1) investigate and intervene,

2) gather good intelligence (licence plate, physical descriptions, etc), or

3) stop and wait for emergency services to arrive.

From emergency services point of view: YES! It gets common more and more to have a bunch of ambulances and police cars out in the dark for nothing. Every time it's a somewhat tough decision to "give up", just because even the caller isn't there anymore to give more details. :(