I call it hijacking

Vermontish

I have to admit that I consider it pretty slimy that someone can use my photos and my research from an uncategorized waymark and post it as their own in a ctegory, listing me as having "assisted". Slimy that it is permitted and slimy that someone would do it.

I didn't "assist". I did all of the work. The person who posted it just copied and pasted.

See mine and theirs.

Edited by Vermontish

I have to admit that I consider it pretty slimy that someone can use my photos and my research from an uncategorized waymark and post it as their own in a ctegory, listing me as having "assisted". Slimy that it is permitted and slimy that someone would do it.

I didn't "assist". I did all of the work. The person who posted it just copied and pasted.

See mine and theirs.

Yep, that is your work and you don't get the credit. Careful what you dump as uncategorized. I agree that it could have been better written and not just the copy/paste that was done. :laughing:

Edit to add:

Here is a UCWM that ended up with my user name on it. It could fit in the same category, but I don't plan on submitting any waymarks to that category now. It sounded like a good idea in the beginning, but now is causing hard feelings. :blink:

Edited by Manville Possum Hunters

I have to admit that the uncategorized waymark idea has puzzled me since I started Waymarking. :blink:

It does seem that the activity of putting in the information and photos is more difficult than the activity of "find what category this goes into"; so that the former should be rewarded as much or more for the post. But then that's me (and perhaps others). :huh:

Sorry to see that happen. Could you have prevented it by categorizing it from the outset? I don't know of any other way to prevent that. Better luck next time. B)

Edit: I have to admit that I hadn't bothered to click on either of the links. But now that I have, it doesn't surprise me. I also don't plan on submitting anything to that category.

Edited by MountainWoods

See mine and theirs.

Unfortunate, but that is what the Uncategorized Category is for.

See mine and theirs.

Unfortunate, but that is what the Uncategorized Category is for.

And I've seen some in Uncategorized that have no information, so whoever does submit it has done the work...

The purpose of the uncategorized waymarks category was so that we could collaborate on waymarks. Often, a person doesn't have enough information to complete a waymark, or they just don't enjoy doing the research to flesh out their photos. They submit it to the uncategorized waymarks category to indicate that they wish to work together on a waymark. If you don't wish to collaborate, don't put your waymark there. I definitely remember getting a message when I hit submit to uncategorized that my waymark was available for anyone to complete.

I have worked with other waymarkers, and we have put out waymarks for each other to finish, and in those instances we put a little message at the top to please not finish it. I think if you were putting up a waymark for yourself so you could make two or more waymarks from one set of photos, and you put a note at the top saying you would prefer others not use it, people would honor your wishes.

I don't think we have any mind readers in this group. Though I do try my hardest.

I looked at one person on WM with more then 5K postings. And making a list of him.

291 postings of him i have seen now. (AND I'AM STILL COUNTING)

For these 291 postings:

19 posting points by copy/past

15 category icons.

(For 1 WM he copied from Uncategorized Waymarks he's got 3 category icons.)

(To get 1 Category icon he copied 3 other WM's, nothing found by himself)

He's not only copy them from Uncategorized Waymarks but also copy your other WM's.

For example if you post a WM in category Aviaries he copy it and post it in Zoos with your photo's and text.

Grtz

John

Edited by dreamhummie

I looked at one person on WM with more then 5K postings. And making a list of him.

291 postings of him i have seen now. (AND I'AM STILL COUNTING)

For these 291 postings:

19 posting points by copy/past

15 category icons.

(For 1 WM he copied from Uncategorized Waymarks he's got 3 category icons.)

(To get 1 Category icon he copied 3 other WM's, nothing found by himself)

He's not only copy them from Uncategorized Waymarks but also copy your other WM's.

For example if you post a WM in category Aviaries he copy it and post it in Zoos with your photo's and text.

Grtz

John

That is how categorizing Uncategorized Waymarks works. Once a person categorizes an Uncategorized Waymark they get a waymark in the category they put it in (not the person that originally submitted the uncategorized waymark). There is no limit to the number of categories an uncategorized waymark is later put in by whomever. That is by design. Using another's actual waymark and photos is not appropriate (unless permission is granted).