drive to final on multi/puzzle

copperisblue

I have a cache I've been working on setting up. It's an easy puzzle/ 3 step multi. The first two stages will be in a park. I have a really awesome location for the final. But it's 8 miles away. I can't put the whole thing at the final location, there is only room for 1 anything there. The final is both a neat location, and the name of it is perfect to match the name/theme/story of the cache.

If I indicate the approximate location of the final and promise that the final is worth the trip, how likely would you be to attempt the cache? The stages will have talking robots, easy puzzles based on short text, and the chance to explore a very rarely visited and mostly unknown park. The final will be a stocked ammo can.

Thanks in advance for your reply of, "I don't do puzzles/multi's cause it's too much work for this numbers game" :rolleyes::laughing:

Parts of a three stage multi/mystery can be closer that 528' as long as they are all part of the same cache.

Parts of a mystery must be within 2 miles. Parts of a multi have no such restriction.

I did a multi/mystery with the parts more than two miles apart once. Took me three months to get to the final.

I did an eight-part multi once. All in one day. But I knew there was driving necessary.

If it is noted on the cache page, I would be prepared.

Then again, I did a 32 stage multi that took me three months to complete. And a 22 stage mystery that took me six months. (That one is grandfathered, though all except the final were waypoints.)

Yeah. It would be nice to know that I would have to travel any distance.

Parts of a three stage multi/mystery can be closer that 528' as long as they are all part of the same cache.

Parts of a mystery must be within 2 miles. Parts of a multi have no such restriction.

I did a multi/mystery with the parts more than two miles apart once. Took me three months to get to the final.

I did an eight-part multi once. All in one day. But I knew there was driving necessary.

If it is noted on the cache page, I would be prepared.

Then again, I did a 32 stage multi that took me three months to complete. And a 22 stage mystery that took me six months. (That one is grandfathered, though all except the final were waypoints.)

Yeah. It would be nice to know that I would have to travel any distance.

I don't believe multis have the same 2 mile restriction so i'm pretty sure i could make it stretch just about any distance i wanted. This of course, as long as i can provide assurance that my cache can be properly maintained.

Copperisblue,,, sounds like you have put some thought into the cache so it'd be one that i'm sure i would enjoy going after. I'd say to go for it! :)

If you have a really good reason, some reviewers will let you have a final that is further away.

Four times the maximum distance doesn't have to much of a chance. The limit is there because in the past the distance was to avoid a create a great distance to drive and if you go to put a cache out and the reviewer flags it for saturation rule you could look around for those close by and try to solve them. You would never look 8 miles away for the problem. Personally I don't think he has much chance and before putting in a bunch of work a note to his reviewer might be wise.

Edited by Walts Hunting

Four times the maximum distance doesn't have to much of a chance. The limit is there because in the past the distance was to avoid a create a great distance to drive and if you go to put a cache out and the reviewer flags it for saturation rule you could look around for those close by and try to solve them.

No, the rule has not been introduced with that reason. Driving/walking great distances and the saturation issue would apply to multi caches too (there are some that cover more than 500km).

Moreover, the guideline is just saying that for mysteries the final should be within 2 miles of the provided coordinates. That does not say anything about the other waypoints. So the OP could set up his cache as a puzzle cache and choose the header coordinates within 2 miles of the final and then the requirement of the guideline is met.

The unfortunate thing is that if one uses header coordinates within 2 miles of the final, the cache shows up in nearest searches not close to the point where the cache starts, but where it ends.

I never understood why Groundspeak never changed the formulation to take into account that not every mystery cache is a singe stage cache.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

If you have a really good reason, some reviewers will let you have a final that is further away.

Four times the maximum distance doesn't have to much of a chance. The limit is there because in the past the distance was to avoid a create a great distance to drive and if you go to put a cache out and the reviewer flags it for saturation rule you could look around for those close by and try to solve them. You would never look 8 miles away for the problem. Personally I don't think he has much chance and before putting in a bunch of work a note to his reviewer might be wise.

Yep, i didn't notice that there was some puzzle solving to be done. The 2 mile limit would come into play here and i don't know if the reviewer would go along with the final being so far away. Best bet would be to email the reviewer with the idea and see what he or she says.

Just because it has puzzles to solve in the field doesn't mean it can't be a multi. I've found quite a few "in the field" puzzles listed as either unknowns OR multis (more unknowns than multis), but the reviewer has the final say as to the type it will be published as. THAT will determine whether or not you can put the final 8 miles away. I've driven over 20 miles (think that's right) for a two stage multi.

Just because it has puzzles to solve in the field doesn't mean it can't be a multi. I've found quite a few "in the field" puzzles listed as either unknowns OR multis (more unknowns than multis), but the reviewer has the final say as to the type it will be published as. THAT will determine whether or not you can put the final 8 miles away. I've driven over 20 miles (think that's right) for a two stage multi.

I have done many multi caches with fields puzzles (and I also own one).

However, even if there are puzzles to be solved at home too, I do not think that the guidelines say anything that disallows a mystery cache where the final is 8 miles from the first stage. One just needs to choose the header coordinates within 2 miles of the final according to the rules.

Puzzle can have multiple waypoints, and multis can have puzzle elements.

My personal rule is that if the cache is meant to be done entirely with nothing more than a GPS, paper, and pencil (and maybe a calculator), it's probably a multi.

If there's more involved than that, it's probably a puzzle.

I would make sure to indicate the travel required, and direction. I believe the travel would actually be toward home for the majority of cachers. And it would be toward a far larger supply of caches if it were not driving toward home.

This...direction might encourage more participation since then folks can plan for caching in the area of the final once they've found it.

I have a cache I've been working on setting up. It's an easy puzzle/ 3 step multi. The first two stages will be in a park. I have a really awesome location for the final. But it's 8 miles away. I can't put the whole thing at the final location, there is only room for 1 anything there. The final is both a neat location, and the name of it is perfect to match the name/theme/story of the cache.

If I indicate the approximate location of the final and promise that the final is worth the trip, how likely would you be to attempt the cache? The stages will have talking robots, easy puzzles based on short text, and the chance to explore a very rarely visited and mostly unknown park. The final will be a stocked ammo can.

Thanks in advance for your reply of, "I don't do puzzles/multi's cause it's too much work for this numbers game" :rolleyes::laughing:

If I knew in advance that the final was many miles away I could make an informed decision. If I got to the first stages and found a few near to each other and only then realised the final was 8 miles away I'd be annoyed.

If I'd enjoyed the cache up to the point of making a 16 mile round trip I may still do it. One day I cycled a 20 mile round trip to find a nano, even though I dislike nanos, because I'd enjoyed the puzzle and wanted to finish the job (it also qualified me for a resuscitator cache, which helped). Promising that the final is worth the trip won't carry a whole lot of weight because few cachers would say something like "it's 8 miles away, frankly I wouldn't bother with it".

Yes in a multi the stages can be any distance away.

I recall starting on Garden To Garden (State) in Sydney, Australia... only to find the next waypoint hundreds of miles away. (I abandoned it at that point).

The description had the line "The ideal cache to break the monotony of an interstate road trip.". But I thought that just meant it was close to the highway. The title was another hint, but I didn't know Victoria was the "Garden State" and didn't think anything of it.