BoyScout Merit Badge for geocaching

sbcamper

Recently discovered that there has been a merit badge for geocaching since roughly 2010.

I believe Waymarking has a lot to offer and requires a different skill set regarding use of the G{S, a digital camera, the research and the write up. Waymarking does feature Eagle Scout projects. Most kids now have access to computers. I stumbled over learning to upload images in a timely way. Sometimes it does take a team.

One to hold the GPS, one to make notes, and another to do the images.

Says someone with no finds. for one thing Waymarking is owned by Groundspeak. Geocaching isn't. And another-why bring it up here? If you want change bring it up with the people who decide on the badges.

Geocaching is most definitely owned by Groundspeak.

And your really unkind reply to a newbie was totally unnecessary and rude.

Says someone with no finds. for one thing Waymarking is owned by Groundspeak. Geocaching isn't. And another-why bring it up here? If you want change bring it up with the people who decide on the badges.

Geocaching is most definitely owned by Groundspeak.

And your really unkind reply to a newbie was totally unnecessary and rude.

No-geocaching.com is owned by Groundspeak. They also happen to be the biggest geocaching site. But there are other sites. The NHL does not own hockey. NASCAR does not own racing. Same idea here.

I don't see how it was rude-a user with no finds complaining that there is a geocaching badge but not a Waymarking badge. Has this person done either? If not (which is how it appears), can the OP really say one is better or more deserving of a badge? If so is this the best place, or would the better place be the Scouts who are the ones who decide on the badges? I have personally not seen another Waymarking site-so wouldn't it be too commercial? Something like a badge based on going to Wal-Mart? Maybe if it was more widespread. Yes, maybe I could have worded it better- but when it comes down to it I'm right. This isn't the best place for it...

Recently discovered that there has been a merit badge for geocaching since roughly 2010.

I believe Waymarking has a lot to offer and requires a different skill set regarding use of the G{S, a digital camera, the research and the write up. Waymarking does feature Eagle Scout projects. Most kids now have access to computers. I stumbled over learning to upload images in a timely way. Sometimes it does take a team.

One to hold the GPS, one to make notes, and another to do the images.

I remember when the Geocaching merit badge was in the works. I had a blast helping scouts learn the hobby! I doubt there will ever be a Waymarking merit badge, but it would be great if the scouts could use Waymarking in some capacity towards another merit badge. Years ago a Girl Scout council developed geocaching badges for all levels, and we never thought that would happen, either, so.... never say never!

Says someone with no finds. [...]

sbcamper: 475/795

T.D.M.22: 0/0

I just cannot stop laughing...

Somebody got completely lost here. :ph34r:

I think he was referring to the number of geocaches found/hidden, which is 0/0. But I don't know why that matters when someone is asking a Waymarking question on the Waymarking forums. Not all waymarkers are geocachers, and anyone can ask questions.

I think he was referring to the number of geocaches found/hidden, which is 0/0. But I don't know why that matters when someone is asking a Waymarking question on the Waymarking forums. Not all waymarkers are geocachers, and anyone can ask questions.

Yes, of course, I do know that. But I also know that geocaching stats are completely irrelevant here. (And I am a 0/0 newbie, too. ;) )

Yes I was referring to caches. Like I said, if the CO has not found any caches, can he really say that geocaching is less deserving of a badge, or that Waymarking is more deserving of a badge? That would be like me-with no Waymark find or hides-saying something bad about Waymarking.

I cannot find any negative statement about geocaching, not explicitely and not between the lines, I really tried to. So this is just a fundamental misunderstanding of the OP, I cannot explain.

I think, now it's time to go back to the original topic. It's nothing wrong with it.

...can he really say that geocaching is less deserving of a badge, or that Waymarking is more deserving of a badge?

I'm with fi67. You might want to scroll back up and read the OP again. They aren't advocating for one over the other. They're wondering whether a Waymarking badge could exist alongside the existing geocaching one. I don't see why a Waymarker who hasn't found any geocaches can't wonder about this. Must an athlete participate in all sports before they make a suggestion pertaining to just one of them?

As for the original question, I don't see why not. If a scout was willing to put in the effort (and was given some guidance), a Waymarking badge could be a good thing. It could teach them about researching an item and documenting it, skills that apply outside of scouting or Waymarking. Depending on what's being Waymarked, they might also learn about some local history or something else. An officer could always deny a Waymark that isn't quite up to snuff and get them to improve it before it gets approved, so it's not like we'd end up with a bunch of crud like I've seen happen with some scouting-related geocaches (that is, poor-quality, abandoned, etc.).

I agree with what others have said. Reading the original post, I do not see any complaint or attack on anything. Looks like the OP was simply making an observation concerning the suitability of Waymarking for a merit badge, just like Geocaching. Makes sense to me. Definitely nothing to go attacking the OP about.

And like The A-Team says, the community is much less likely to end up with a "throw away" (my terms) Waymark due to a badge project than the community is apt to end up with a "throw away" Geocache. Unlike Geocaches, there is nothing to maintain after the Waymark is approved. And it has to meet the usual "Wow criteria" in the first place to be approved. (Something that Geocaching doesn't even have!) Makes sense to me. The community and the scout end up with something: a win-win proposition.

Being from a different youth group, that also has a 'merit badge' for geocaching (Pathfinders), I know that we have a Letterboxing badge (not totally related to Geocaching tho), and a Geological Geocaching (Earthcaching) badge.

I have suggested the possibility of a Waymarking badge, especially for those countries that are very geocache poor. I am heading to Thailand in December to teach geocaching for our youth at the equivalent of a Jamboree, and initially there was x 3 geocaches within 5km of the Boy Scout Camp (Chaipiti) that we are using, they are now Archived, and the closest one is 35 km away. Many of those 2,000 attending will be from countries that only have a couple of hundred caches in the WHOLE country, but I see a lot more opportunities for them to Post or Visit Waymarks in their home country as a result.

I look forward to hearing how the Scouting movement goes with a possible Waymarking badge.

(How can a Waymarking Category Leader, and Officers, have Posted and/or Visited absolutely no Waymarks ?!?)- Not aimed at anyone on this thread! Just a question.

I am a counselor for the BSA Geocahing merit badge. I DO give a small plug for Waymarking, as there are places that do not allow caches. I am going to write to the BSA merit badge working group and suggest that they include Waymarking on the revision to the geocaching MB. But there is no telling when a re-write might come about.

Now, if Waymarking would like to get into the fray, I believe the best way would be to write an article for BSA's publications for Scouts and leaders, and let them know there is another GPS game the Scouts could learn about. Or get with them and invite them to a Waymarking conference and let them take the pictures and do the article.