Any way to get spomeone to move trackable

Mini-krab

Hi,

I expect this has been asked many times but I am rather upset. I was given a trackable for Christmas by my husband and made a point of keeping it till I could place it a good way from home. I dropped it off and was overjoyed when it was taken within a couple of days. However, the person who took it has never dropped it off and, in fact, hasn't done any geocaching activity for 3 months. I have sent emails to them twice but have never heard anything back. Is there any method within the geocaching community to get this trackable back. This particular one has special meaning to me.

Cheers,

Joan

This particular one has special meaning to me.

Well, there's your problem right there.

Considering the track record of travelers in this game, you just can't afford to get emotionally attached to them. In sociobiological terms, you're better off being an r strategist, putting out many, many travelers and enjoying the journeys of those that happen to survive, than a K strategist, putting all your love and attention into one precious traveler, which, more than likely, will die a quick and unceremonious death.

I've had many travelers disappear from their very first cache, never to be seen again, some taken by seasoned cachers, others taken by newbies. A couple were excited enough to find a traveler that they commented about it, or even took photos...but still, the travelers were never placed again. Then I have other travelers that have gone thousands of miles!

You've gotten good advice about possibly getting it on the move again, but really, there's nothing you can do except hope. It might get placed, it might be gone forever.

Put out more travelers! Despite the travails of this portion of the game, I'm not the least bit discouraged and still enjoy putting out travelers. I love starting races with groups of travels and putting out proxy travelers for my geocoins so that I can enjoy the travels AND the beauty of the coins.

Good luck! Don't become disillusioned--travelers can be a lot of fun if you just keep the right mindset!

--Q

I've had many travelers disappear from their very first cache, never to be seen again...

A sad fact.

More than half the caches we hit the last two years didn't have the trackables listed in them.

- But what's your advice?

Put out more travelers!

This makes absolutely no sense to me...

Haha! I guess to some it wouldn't. If you don't feel comfortable losing them, for heaven's sake DON'T put more out--it will only lead to frustration.

BUT, if you're the type who can let go of emotional attachment to an individual traveler, then putting out a lot of them is a great strategy. You see, *some* of those bugs WILL go forth and travel. Some will luck out and travel extensively! It can be a lot of fun to get a "live one" that ends up in another country, with photos taken in exotic locales, with interesting logs...that's so worth it!

The more travelers you put out, the more likely you are to get a few that travel the way they're supposed to.

If you put out no more travelers because of the bad fortune that befalls many / most of them....you never will get to experience the fun, vicarious journey of a successful traveler.

It's up to you!

--Q

If you put out no more travelers because of the bad fortune that befalls many / most of them....you never will get to experience the fun, vicarious journey of a successful traveler.

I watch the one or two of my remaining live TBs get occasionally logged. But sometimes a TB pops up that I thought was gone forever. The longest record for my TBs is 18 months, but lately if any of my "lost" TBs turn up, they'll break that record. It would be even better if the finder of a reappearing TB could help it stay alive even a little while before it vanishes again. B)

Edited by kunarion