Recruiting/K-Mart Category Proposal

Hey ya'll,

I'm looking to recruit some new folks for my group, Cartographer's Association of Guam, looking to bring about more waymarks being established on the island of Guam. So far, I have been the only contributor to this part of the world and I have found a few interesting deficiencies in categories that I'd like to correct if it passes peer review. I've seen no category for K-Marts which is astounding considering its global presence and I feel there could be a new subcategory to Tragic Sites that covers massacres as there is not really a subcategory that would fit this criteria. Is anybody else interested in these ideas? I am always open to hearing your's as well.

Hey ya'll,

I'm looking to recruit some new folks for my group, Cartographer's Association of Guam, looking to bring about more waymarks being established on the island of Guam. So far, I have been the only contributor to this part of the world and I have found a few interesting deficiencies in categories that I'd like to correct if it passes peer review. I've seen no category for K-Marts which is astounding considering its global presence and I feel there could be a new subcategory to Tragic Sites that covers massacres as there is not really a subcategory that would fit this criteria. Is anybody else interested in these ideas? I am always open to hearing your's as well.

Hi there SaltyDog20.

I understand your point about the Tragic Sites subcategory for massacres, but they can fit in the Infamous Crimes category.

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM6XX2_Edmond_Post_Office_Massacre_Oklahoma

In general, commercial categories don't have much chance of passing peer review these days (most of the current ones were approved in the early days of Waymarking). Just the way it is. However, you are doing the exact right thing by posting the idea here in the forums, and getting feedback from the community. You never know, maybe enough people will say "Yeah, we need a K-Mart category. Let's do it!"

Give some time for feedback, and see what others say about your ideas. Thanks for posting here in the forums.

I am not sure about massacres. They seem to fit into Infamous Crime or maybe one of the many war related categories, but this topic deserves some deeper research and discussion. There might be an opportunity for a new category.

As for K-Marts, I do not see any chance for it. Better forget that idea! This kind of commercial category is not popular at all.

Thanks for your feedback fellas. I am disappointed by the K-Mart category info but I do understand. As for the Massacre Site proposal I did some research into the Infamous Crimes subcategory and while I do feel it could potentially fit into it, it would at best be a loose fit. There is a massacre site near where I work that neither received media attention(outside of Guam) and neither was there a criminal investigation conducted. The site is well known but this category I propose would cover known but uninvestigated sites without a singular perpetrator. I have looked at the Edmond Post Office Massacre and while that does fit exactly where it should please consider my waymark that I set for your opinions on the dilemma I am facing. My apologies for no pictures, I do work in the area but photography is restricted.

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMM8K2_Fena_Cave_Massacre_Site

Massacres - It appears that they would fit in the Disaster Memorials category.

K-Mart - While it is true the commercial categories have fallen into disfavor of late, I see no valid reason NOT to have a category for K-Mart. Some people enjoy these categories, and it doesn't seem reasonable to deny them as long as the category is sound and well written. If I don't like K-Mart, or covered bridges or mountain summits, why should another segment of waymarkers be denied a category for something that interests them? Someone would have to explain that to me.

K-Mart - While it is true the commercial categories have fallen into disfavor of late, I see no valid reason NOT to have a category for K-Mart. Some people enjoy these categories, and it doesn't seem reasonable to deny them as long as the category is sound and well written. If I don't like K-Mart, or covered bridges or mountain summits, why should another segment of waymarkers be denied a category for something that interests them? Someone would have to explain that to me.

The pros and cons of commercial categories and if there are any valid reasons to vote against them, this is an interesting topic, but it should to be covered in another thread, better in the general forum. I think, the point here is a different one.

The Waymarking community is really very nice and friendly, compared to others. But there's an exception: Peer Review is brutal. The chances to pass are not very high today, especially not for newbies, and even less for commercial categories. You know exactly, that every commercial category that went to vote recently was a massacre (sorry for the pun). So for me it is not about right or wrong, it's just about to warn them and not to raise their illusory hopes.

It's nothing wrong with trying to create a chain store category, just as it is nothing wrong with taking a walk in a third world slum with your high-end camera equipment; it is not forbidden, it is not immoral, nor anything else you could call "wrong", just - don't do it! You won't come back.

(Edit for typos)

Edited by fi67

If I don't like K-Mart, or covered bridges or mountain summits, why should another segment of waymarkers be denied a category for something that interests them? Someone would have to explain that to me.

True words. Even if I think those McD's, K-Marts, one-lane bridges, .. are mundane and boring.. I don't know why I should deny someone's else's interest to waymark them. People are different and small subcommunity can be very interested in some specific commercial category.

On the other hand, Peer Review rules often forces me (and others) to vote against my personal attitude - in this case "Nay", purely considering 4 objective criteria, including (is the proposed category in general ..) informative/interesting (.. ?). Yes, K-Mart is interesting object, but certainly for individuals only, not for majority. Results of peer reviews use to confirm it.

I've decided to revisit this old thread because I want to bring about the Massacres issue once more. I'm not very well traveled but the reason I am bringing up Massacres is that while it would fit into the categories previously suggested I do believe there are sites out there in the world that are not very well documented. What if, say, a local people's lore says there was a massacre and there are survivor's still present who can attest to the treatment they had received? Most events that had occurred on Guam did indeed happen during WWII but there are massacres that don't quite fit into a war category simply because there isn't nationally recognized or attributed documentation.

Edited by SaltyDog20

I do believe there are sites out there in the world that are not very well documented. What if, say, a local people's lore says there was a massacre and there are survivor's still present who can attest to the treatment they had received?

But what would I waymark if there isn't any documentation, and how would I find out about a possible waymark I could create if only the locals know about it?

These massacre sites could also conceivably go into the There's a Book About It or the News Article Locations categories, if a book or news story was written about them.

Why are you proposing this category? Is it to memorialize and publicize these massacres, or call attention to injustices or failure of justice? Is it to preserve local memory of these events?

I do believe there are sites out there in the world that are not very well documented. What if, say, a local people's lore says there was a massacre and there are survivor's still present who can attest to the treatment they had received?

But what would I waymark if there isn't any documentation, and how would I find out about a possible waymark I could create if only the locals know about it?

These massacre sites could also conceivably go into the There's a Book About It or the News Article Locations categories, if a book or news story was written about them.

Why are you proposing this category? Is it to memorialize and publicize these massacres, or call attention to injustices or failure of justice? Is it to preserve local memory of these events?

I think most would also fit into Battlefields or Disasters categories.

Edited by BruceS

I am temporarily in Guam and think there should be an war atrocities category. As there are so many around the world, for identification and to keep the truth about the site alive. Even if the information is based on local knowledge it should be recorded. Recording the Guam massacre sites under World War II loses it in a category that is already covering a vast list of sites.

About commercial sites, it would be nice to have a category for special commercial sites such as First KMart or first McDonalds, but not all KMarts or McDonalds.

Edited by CGTeri

Massacres - It appears that they would fit in the Disaster Memorials category.

K-Mart - While it is true the commercial categories have fallen into disfavor of late, I see no valid reason NOT to have a category for K-Mart.

I agree and Waymarking has made it really easy to ignore those categories after they are approved. I say let them have their fun if that is what interest them.