I don't get it yet

Yes, I fully understand peer review. And I understand when and where a category goes to vote, and how to vote and all that.

What I don't get is, why I cannot see anything related to the voting process even when I am an officer in the group trying to get the category through. Is that information only available to the Leader level?

Case in point. I am an Officer 2 in a group that is trying to get a category through which I personally think is a great idea (even if we need more help polishing it from the community). So ...

• when the category is in peer review, I can vote, but I do not see a link or anything that tells me how the voting is going on. The Group page has an Activity tab, but that is only activity for the group, such as promoting/demoting folks, and the vote by the group to go ahead and submit the category to peer review.
  • the category's deadline was 24 September, and it apparently did not make it. But when I click on the Category it says:
    Category Status: Your group's category, Such And So, has been sent to peer review. It will be reviewed by the Waymarking community until 9/24/2014.
    Duh! We are several days past 24 September! There is no tab or anything to show how the voting turned out.

If I remember right from the first time, the category will simply be deleted, since it was denied; without my ever knowing why the peer reviewers didn't like it! (As I understand it, someone better have kept the text of the category somewhere off to the side if they are going to try again, otherwise it is lost.)

Please do not tell me how peer review works. I already know that. The issue is not with the process, but with the lack of communication from the process back to the group officers, so they can make adjustments. How in blazes are we supposed to find out what all those required comments were on Nay votes?!?

Thank you!

Edited by MountainWoods

Yes, I fully understand peer review. And I understand when and where a category goes to vote, and how to vote and all that.

[*]when the category is in peer review, I can vote, but I do not see a link or anything that tells me how the voting is going on. The Group page has an Activity tab, but that is only activity for the group, such as promoting/demoting folks, and the vote by the group to go ahead and submit the category to peer review.

I don't know if this helps, but.... right above where YOU vote on the category (yeah, no, abstain) is a link available to everyone to see how the PUBLIC voting is going, and what the comments are. You can only see the public votes, not the anonymous ones. I THINK that when the entire process is over, the leader of the group sees all votes? Maybe he/she is sent that information when the process is complete? As an officer, I've never been privy to that information, but I bet the leader gets it.

OK. I've never seen that link above the Yea, Nay, Abstain; but I'll look for it next time.

I was wondering (and still am) whether the information is only available to the Leader. Seems odd to me, since the other officers may want to see the comments for input to the process. Don't know why it would just be limited to the Leader. But since I've never been in that position on a category vote, that would explain why I never see the results.

Thanks Agents 86 and 99. :rolleyes:

Any other inputs?

OK. I've never seen that link above the Yea, Nay, Abstain; but I'll look for it next time.

I was wondering (and still am) whether the information is only available to the Leader. Seems odd to me, since the other officers may want to see the comments for input to the process. Don't know why it would just be limited to the Leader. But since I've never been in that position on a category vote, that would explain why I never see the results.

Thanks Agents 86 and 99. :rolleyes:

Any other inputs?

If you want to take a quick look, the option is always there while the category is in peer review, so you can check out the comments in the current category we are voting on.

I agree that ALL officers should get sent the information on the final peer review votes. It could be so helpful in a re-write of the category description.

Ahhhh. I see that in the category that is up for review now. Don't know how I missed it.

Odd thing, then, is that you cannot see those comments after the time expires, even as a (non-leader) officer. That's strange.

I guess I'll have to set a reminder to look, using that link, just before the time is up on the category; so as to see everyone's comments.

Thanks!

Hi,

all officers got these mails, the last one I got was 09.03.2013. 18.03.2013 I sent a category to peer review, but I got no mail when it was declined (I was the leader). So it stoped between 09.03.2013 and 18.03.2013.

Two examples:

1) "[WMK] Category Denied in Peer Review

Sorry!

Your category (Fire Lookouts) has been denied in Peer Review for the following reason:

If you are interested in viewing the comments posted about your category by the Waymarking community, click the following link:

http://www.Waymarking.com/cat/peer_reviews.aspx?f=1&guid=69a74836-85ce-46fc-a98c-01d96e477f5d

To view the category and group details please visit the link below.

Group Details:

http://www.Waymarking.com/groups/details.aspx?f=1&guid=69a74836-85ce-46fc-a98c-01d96e477f5d

Category Details:

http://www.Waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=ea0f454e-a9b5-4e8e-a493-0bf4def15363

Happy Waymarking!

The Groundspeak Team"

2.) "[WMK] Category Accepted in Peer Review

Congratulations!

Your category Time Signals has passed peer review and is currently listed in the directory on Waymarking.com. All officers will receive an email notification when new waymarks are submitted, or access the queue at the link below.

If you are interested in viewing the comments posted about your category by the Waymarking community, click the following link:

http://www.Waymarking.com/cat/peer_reviews.aspx?f=1&guid=23a7b700-f77d-4ab5-a28f-31ca46ceb9c5

To view the category and group details please visit the link below.

Group Details:

http://www.Waymarking.com/groups/details.aspx?f=1&guid=23a7b700-f77d-4ab5-a28f-31ca46ceb9c5

Category Details:

http://www.Waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=4469a1f6-5162-42fc-b9a8-eaaca561d578

Category Settings:

http://www.Waymarking.com/cat/settings.aspx?f=1&guid=4469a1f6-5162-42fc-b9a8-eaaca561d578

Happy Waymarking!

The Groundspeak Team

* NOTE - your category will only be visible in the directory if you have checked the 'make this category visible' checkbox on the category settings page"

@MountainWoods:

Someone at Groundspeak checks the vote and makes the final click, if it got to much Nays, the category is deleted, everytime no matter what the reviewer thinks about it. The final click can take some days until it's done.

The result list we normally got per mail showed all votes anonym (incl. the hidden ones).

Ah. So there are two things here (so far):

1. The link that I somehow didn't notice, but is only available while the category is still in peer review
  2. Missing emails that have been broken for some time.

Even then it sounds like the emails only went to the Leader and not the other officers -- though I can't confirm or deny the last part of that statement, since I've never been a Leader of a group with a category that went to peer review.

Good answers here.

-Anyone can view the votes and comments during peer review that users have chosen to make public.

-After peer review is over, a Groundspeak lackey makes a final review, with veto power, and must activate it. If this happens on a weekend, it may take a few days, or even if it's not.

-All officers can view the entire vote count with comment after this, but there are no user IDs, so it is anonymous unless someone signs their comments.

The category can now be revised, abandoned or submitted again for peer review.

Too bad there isn't documentation of this process somewhere on the Waymarking.com web site.

Well I beg to differ on some of those last statements, 'cause I have been an officer in two groups that had categories go to peer review and not pass, and I never got either an email with the results nor was able to see what the comments were after the fact. From what lumbricus is saying, the email is just broken. That's unfortunate but understandable. But being able to see the comments (as an officer) should still be there, and it just ain't. As soon as the category time passes, we officers see naught.

At this point, all I have recourse to (as a non-leader) is clicking on the link before the time is up.

Well I beg to differ on some of those last statements, 'cause I have been an officer in two groups that had categories go to peer review and not pass, and I never got either an email with the results nor was able to see what the comments were after the fact. From what lumbricus is saying, the email is just broken. That's unfortunate but understandable. But being able to see the comments (as an officer) should still be there, and it just ain't. As soon as the category time passes, we officers see naught.

At this point, all I have recourse to (as a non-leader) is clicking on the link before the time is up.

Woods - In both of my failed attempts to create a category I did not receive any notice about them failing. Once it fails (or passes, I am guessing), the comments go away. The way that I knew they failed - I sent a message to one of the lackeys on the first one, and by counting the number of NAY votes vs the YEA votes during the comment period.

There are things that aren't quite right here, we all know that. Go make a lab cache - that works. unsure.gif

"We all know that" now. Some of us are new to being in groups with categories in peer review. dry.gif

What's a lab cache? Haven't heard of that type of Waymark.

A "lab cache" is the latest and greatest thing for Geocachers. It seems that they get something new just about every other month.

What does Waymarking get? Another 500 Server error.... rolleyes.gif

"We all know that" now. Some of us are new to being in groups with categories in peer review. dry.gif

A "lab cache" is the latest and greatest thing for Geocachers. It seems that they get something new just about every other month.

What does Waymarking get? Another 500 Server error.... rolleyes.gif

Don't forget about the Challenge caches that they retracted with the promise of making bigger and better mistakes. :P That was long before Lab caches, and they are old news in the geocaching community. :( Don't get me wrong, I enjoy them. The last 10 I logged were field games at a Mega event, they were fun, and I did enjoy the I < 3 that we were allowed to create. B)

As a Waymarker, I see this site has improved. I do see peer review being MUCH tougher to allow new categorys, but I see that as a good thing. :ph34r:

Don't forget about the Challenge caches that they retracted with the promise of making bigger and better mistakes. :P That was long before Lab caches, and they are old news in the geocaching community. :( Don't get me wrong, I enjoy them. The last 10 I logged were field games at a Mega event, they were fun, and I did enjoy the I < 3 that we were allowed to create. B)

As a Waymarker, I see this site has improved. I do see peer review being MUCH tougher to allow new categorys, but I see that as a good thing. :ph34r:

I hate to respond to this since I'm veering off-topic, but just to make things clear: Challenge Caches have not been retracted by Groundspeak. Challenges were. Challenge Caches are still a very popular and active aspect of Geocaching. In fact, almost all of my Challenge Caches are about Waymarking!

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=206

I hate to respond to this since I'm veering off-topic, but just to make things clear: Challenge Caches have not been retracted by Groundspeak. Challenges were. Challenge Caches are still a very popular and active aspect of Geocaching. In fact, almost all of my Challenge Caches are about Waymarking!

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=206

Sorry, I meant geocaching challenges, not challenge geocaches.

BTW, no problem with veering off topic. My original questions did get answered.

1. There is a bug.
  2. There is a bug.

(Does that sound familiar?)

The first is a bug concerning emails that no longer come to officers with the voting results.

The second is a bug concerning there being no way other than the (missing) emails for officers to be able to see what happened after the fact.

There was also a bug with my eyes. I didn't notice the link to see what was going on during the voting.

My question

was one of those "act dumb" things. I know just enough about geocaching to know that they added lab caches not long ago. There's a bit of irony in my snide, but subtle, comment about "that type of Waymark."

I don't dislike geocaching. I have, what?, about 207 finds in about 2.5 years - about 0.2119 caches per day and decreasing. I just like Waymarking a lot more. My GC interest isn't enough to warrant a PM, but my Waymarking interest would.

Thanks for the info. everyone. Veer on!