Infamous forgotten places category.

So i created this group 2 years ago on way marking, hoping that one day it would become a category. I have had some success recently. I was finally able to get it to the peer review after I got a tip on how to get rid off all the inactive members in the group. However after 2 times of being denied int the peer review, I am coming to the forms to ask for more help. Yes on my way marking profile, it looks to be that I am new, but that is not the case. I have only logged 8 visits, but there are many more that I have found, but just haven't logged. Also I have several years of experience in geocaching, which is similar to way-marking benchmarking etc.

The category description of forgotten places is as follows right now:

Forgotten Places

Managed By: Forgotten Places

Description:

This category would include all waymarks for forgotten places like abandoned structures, ghost towns, and the like, as long as they are viewable from a public viewpoint. This allows Waymarkers another category option, and in return more people would visit lonely or unknown places.

Expanded Description:

In this category the word forgotten means any place or structure that has fallen into a state of disrepair, and that is no longer in use.

This category allows you to Waymark places or buildings that would often not be allowed in other categories; perhaps because they are on private land, or they, at one time, had electricity and indoor plumbing. In this category, it is only important that the place or building no longer be in use, regardless of its past usage.

Instructions for Posting a Forgotten Places Waymark:

The Waymark must be a forgotten place or, in other words, an abandoned place. This can include ghost mines or ghost towns.

If you are Waymarking a locale, such as a deserted town, please only submit one Waymark for that locale, not individual Waymarks for each deserted structure.

You must post at least one picture of the forgotten place.

If possible please provide some history of the place and details of what's there.

Coordinates should be taken from a suitable place to view the Forgotten Place.

If the Forgotten Place is on private land, please find a suitable place on public land where the Waymark may be viewed. Although permission may be granted by the land owner to obtain coordinates on their land, that should be a last resort. Remember that future Waymark visitors would have to obtain the same permission, which might become a hassle to the land owner. It is better to avoid that hassle if at all possible.

Please tell us all you can about the Forgotten Place. How well known was it before it was forgotten? How did it become forgotten (mine closed down, town got hit by a tornado, ...)?

Instructions for Visiting a Waymark in this Category:

You must upload at least one of your own photographs of the forgotten place. It does not need to contain you or your GPSr.

Please state in your visit log the narrative of your experiences at the Forgotten Place, and the different things you saw there.

Category Settings:

Waymarks can be added to this category

New waymarks of this category are reviewed by the category group prior to being published

Category is not visible in the directory

Variables:

No Variables

I have seen the comments and know the main issue with waymarkers, with this category is redundancy. Just trying to figure out if there is anyway this category could still work somehow. Trying to figure out if I can write it better so that way marks, that would go in this category, would not already be accepted into a different category. Wonder if this hasn't already hit a dead end a long time ago. Perhaps I say that only forgotten fences will be accepted into this category.

For me, the main problem I have with this category is NOT REDUNDANCY (though by including places fully covered by other categories like ghost towns you are asking for opposition) it's EXTREME OVERPREVALENCE.

As written, ANY abandoned home or vacant shopping center can qualify as a waymark in this category. There are TENS OF THOUSANDS of those places, just in Dallas County TX alone.

The other issue I recall from an older thread is how to determine when something is truly FORGOTTEN, which is different from VACANT or ABANDONED. We see many abandoned towns in Texas that boomed and busted according to where the railroad went. We have three towns in a 5-mile straight line in Bowie county TX: Boston, New Boston, and Old Boston (REALLY) all settled and two abandoned based on railroad whims. Only New Boston survives as a functioning city. Same with Zulch and North Zulch in Madison County.

I get the feeling from your dedication to this idea, that such lonely and abandoned places are very meaningful to you, emotionally. I can sense your attachment to them and love for them in what you have written about them. But as a CATEGORY, unless you can get super-specific about what you a looking for (as has been done with ghost towns or abandoned shacks for example), this category will not pass peer review AGAIN. :(

Others may disagree, but that is my 2 cents :)

Happy caching and Waymarking to you always, Chris :)

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

For me, the main problem I have with this category is NOT REDUNDANCY (though by including places fully covered by other categories like ghost towns you are asking for opposition) it's EXTREME OVERPREVALENCE.

So how the extreme overprevalence didn't stopped the guys from Prague to make a category for public phones?

So how the extreme overprevalence didn't stopped the guys from Prague to make a category for public phones?

Why stop there, what about public rest rooms? So is this really what Waymarking is about? One great feature about this site, we have the option to ignore categorys. :anibad: Another great thing is peer review and what will pass now days.

Why stop there, what about public rest rooms? So is this really what Waymarking is about? One great feature about this site, we have the option to ignore categorys. :anibad: Another great thing is peer review and what will pass now days.

For God's sake, MPH!! Don't give anybody a category idea that would require taking photos of public restrooms!! You'll get us all arrested. ha ha ha

Pay phones was an early category established by Groundspeak near the start of Waymarking, before peer review was done for categories. Don't use old categories as a guideline as to what would make it as a category now, things have evolved overtime and many of the older categories probably would not be approved today. Actually payphones that can be called are getting rare in most of the US and I think that is what they were thinking of when thinking when they created the category.

Actually payphones that can be called are getting rare in most of the US and I think that is what they were thinking of when thinking when they created the category.

Due to the mass use of cell phones nowadays, the payphone can be a rare find.

Funny thing, they don't seem rare at all in many countries, including Germany (they seem to host the large amount of city caches). And in Prague, they seem to be the primary target for waymarks ;)

On the other way, lost places in, for example, Germany or Poland are quite rare, maybe because all free place tend to be used by farms or developer buildings.

Guess what? I have actually used a bunch of the outhouses that I've Waymarked. When ya gotta go, ya gotta go. And in rural areas, where I find most of 'em, it'd be a ridiculously long drive to go to the nearest town and back, just to continue Waymarking. (Though I've had to do that, too.)

In fact, I sometimes think I Waymark outhouses for utilitarian reasons, more than any other categories I've Waymarked.