One-lane Vehicular Bridges

Our area of the Missouri Ozarks still has some regular road bridges that are only one lane, and which have a yield sign on each side. Are there any such bridges (not people bridges, but vehicular) elsewhere in the world?

I was thinking of Waymarking them using either end of the bridge as the coordinates -- that is, just one WM per such bridge, with coordinates at whichever end is easiest to park by. Usually such bridges aren't very long, so it wouldn't be difficult for officers to determine whether the bridge was already Waymarked using coordinates from the other end.

Just a feeler, of course; but I'm wondering if there are other lowly places that still have one-lane vehicular bridges.

Thanks!

There are heaps in Australia but nothing lowly about them. Close to home Hampden Bridge in Kangaroo Valley is one lane, the bridge over Abercrombie River west of Tuena is very long & one lane. Numerous local council bridges are one lane. Bridges in national parks or state forests are usually one lane. We tend to only have one Give Way sign or just a sign to indicate a one lane bridge or no sign at all.

If you gave me a few hours, I could go out for a drive and come back with photos of dozens of single-lane bridges. :lol:

Possible over-prevalence notwithstanding, I wonder if these would really be that interesting. The single-lane bridges I've seen are pretty boring. Here's a typical example from an area west of me where there are loads of single-lane bridges. "Driving" back along the road a bit you can see a "Yield to oncoming traffic" sign like you describe.

Well, I just have to say that I would definitely be in favour of such a category, if only for purely selfish reasons. We have many one laners here in BC, many of which have existing categories, many of which do not. I have pix of a long and photogenic one lane trestle bridge that I would love to post somewhere.

Boring? I find them, or at least their environs, to be just the opposite - usually off the beaten path and leading to an old church, cemetery or rural fire hall that no waymarker has seen before. And besides, if the bridge is already covered by another category, the one laner would give us another waymark, essentially for free. Just love cross posting into as many categories as possible. AAMOF, we once got 36 waymarks off a single church. Saves on gas. :)

Well it sounds like this runs the gamut from

- there are tons of such bridges around here TO

- there are a few of such bridges around here

and from

- most of them that I know about are boring TO

- most of them that I know about are interesting

and from

- another bridge category?!? TO

- another bridge category!

All of which depends upon where you live and the bridges thereabouts.

In my particular case:

there are a few of such bridges around here,

most of them that I know about are interesting (and in interesting settings),

a bridge category!

None of the 12 (not 13) existing categories for bridges covers the one-lane bridges that are near where I live. There might be some cross-posting in, for example, truss bridges (I can think of one). But the others do not match any existing category.

The next question in my mind is whether the folks who have the opposite experiences where they live would still allow a category for those of us in circumstances similar to mine.

Is there anyone outright opposed to the idea?

And why?

Really, all you need is one.

One opposed to it?

Main reason that I'm putting out feelers is that I have seen that kind of behavior here: "I can't think of any good examples of things I'd Waymark in that new category; so I'm against it." The vote should be based on the kinds of considerations that are listed in the Help pages and FAQ, not on emotional issues like "I didn't think of it, so I'm 'agin' it" and so on.

Really, all you need is one.

One opposed to it?

Main reason that I'm putting out feelers is that I have seen that kind of behavior here: "I can't think of any good examples of things I'd Waymark in that new category; so I'm against it." The vote should be based on the kinds of considerations that are listed in the Help pages and FAQ, not on emotional issues like "I didn't think of it, so I'm 'agin' it" and so on.

I'd be abstained probably, depends on category write-up. Main issue is lack of informative / interesting value. Vast majority of one-lane vehicular bridges are mundane 'catalogue' technical structures without any unique feature. And the rest, those interesting ones are special usually for different reason (they are covered, or historic, or arch, or lifting, or ...), one-lane atribute is side-effect only.

But yes - this is my subjective feeling, so I'd probably stay abstained. I just can't imagine, that someone would enjoy reviewing these objects voluntarily .. and visiting them.

WOW, are those ever over generalizations. Let's try to fix things up a bit:

Main A possible issue is lack of informative / interesting value. Vast majority of one-lane vehicular bridges in my area are mundane 'catalogue' technical structures without any unique feature. And the rest in my area, those interesting ones are special usually for different reason (they are covered, or historic, or arch, or lifting, or ...), one-lane attribute is side-effect only.

But yes - this is my subjective feeling (thank you), so I'd probably stay abstained. (Thank you.) I just can't imagine, that someone would enjoy reviewing these objects in my area voluntarily .. and visiting them.

Got the idea?

In my area, the few one-lane bridges are in beautiful Ozark settings. Only one of them is remarkable for being a through truss bridge. The others are worth visiting for the same reason that many (most?) Waymarks are worth visiting: They are of interest, and are in an area of interest. In the 11 years that I've lived in this area, two of the one-lane bridges have been converted to two lanes, making the remaining few even more interesting.

But I appreciate the fact that someone would abstain because they're own experience does not justify a new category. That seems like a better approach than an automatic Nay. Thank you!

Edited by MountainWoods

My personal opinion: Whenever I see a category in peer review I try to be as objective as possible. It doesn't matter, if there are tons of one-lane-bridges in my area or none. It doesn't matter, if I find them interesting or not. Instead I ask myself: Are people out there who would be grateful to have a collection of these bridges in a separate category? Would they go out and visit them because they are so interesting? I don't think that many people have been waiting for this category, but since I'm not sure about it, I would abstain. Also, if someone could post a few photos of interesting one-lane-bridges, I might even change to a "Yea!"

In my home area, there are little one-laners left. We have a lot of former one-laners that have been closed for motorized traffic, but still exist as pedestrian and bike bridges just next to the new two-laner. So the question could be, if former one-laners do count, but there is a more important point.

In more remote areas, we have more one-laners, especially in alpine regions. Some of them are very interesting, and not all of them do qualify for an existing category. But some of them are very boring, cheap industrial structures. They have two things in common: A) the have one lane, B ) it is not that single lane, that makes them interesting or boring.

A category is interesting, when all, or most, or at least a substantial ratio of the potential submissions are interesting. A new category that allows to post some new interesting locations for the price of having to accept a lot of boring ones, is doing something fundamentally wrong.

So better find out what makes these bridges interesting and concentrate on that aspect! It is not the single lane.

Edited by fi67

So better find out what makes these bridges interesting and concentrate on that aspect! It is not the single lane.

This seems to agree with what others have posted above. It sounds like many of the one-lane bridges people consider "interesting" aren't really interesting at all on their own, it's just that they're in an interesting area. If that's the case, then it doesn't make sense to Waymark the bridge, but rather Waymark whatever makes the area interesting.

Can anyone give us examples of one-lane bridges that they consider interesting on their own, not just that they're in an interesting area? I'd like to see what we're talking about.

This seems to agree with what others have posted above. It sounds like many of the one-lane bridges people consider "interesting" aren't really interesting at all on their own, it's just that they're in an interesting area. If that's the case, then it doesn't make sense to Waymark the bridge, but rather Waymark whatever makes the area interesting.

Can anyone give us examples of one-lane bridges that they consider interesting on their own, not just that they're in an interesting area? I'd like to see what we're talking about.

We don't have a lot of one-lane bridges in Texas (or if we do have lots they are places we don't go). We have seen some of these one-lane bridges in SD, and remember them very clearly for the combination terror and thrill of going through them. So for us this category is interesting :) and we think worthy. Depending on the quality and detail of the write-up, we would probably vote yes.

Hampden Bridge in Kangaroo Valley is interesting in its own right viz: http://www.Waymarkin...waymarks/WMGH9Y

Hampden Bridge in Kangaroo Valley is interesting in its own right viz: http://www.Waymarkin...waymarks/WMGH9Y

No, I never said the bridges are not interesting on their own. Some of them are, and I did not even think about the setting and surroundings. But when they are interesting, like this example above, it is not because of the single lane.

This is a very interesting discussion. And I think MountainWoods has it right - opinions run the gamut from one extreme to another.

I see a trend in evaluating new category ideas, both here and in peer review, that gives me some cause for concern. I think the pendulum has swung from "almost anything goes" to "almost nothing is good enough." There seems to be more of an inclination to oppose a category for purely personal, subjective reasons. Understand that I do NOT have anyone in particular in mind, and am, in fact, trying to evaluate my own approach to new categories.

There are categories that each of find boring, trivial or even inappropriate. And we all have categories we find exciting, intriguing and significant. We now have a broad global community, which I celebrate. But that means that there is even more diversity of viewpoints. I believe that this means we have to take a more inclusive view of new category ideas. If there is enough interest for a group to form and support a category, unless it really goes against our accepted criteria, than I think we need to be generous enough to allow people to pursue their interests. One-lane roads obviously has an appeal to many. Insect Hotels and Wee Fairy Doors -- probably not so much for me, but they have their niche. Then there are a whole bunch of categories in countries I will likely never visit. Well, who knows?

Waymarking is a big tent, and there is room for a lot of variety here. We need to be sensible, but not overly exclusive. That is how I see it, anyway.

This is a very interesting discussion. And I think MountainWoods has it right - opinions run the gamut from one extreme to another.

I see a trend in evaluating new category ideas, both here and in peer review, that gives me some cause for concern. I think the pendulum has swung from "almost anything goes" to "almost nothing is good enough." There seems to be more of an inclination to oppose a category for purely personal, subjective reasons. Understand that I do NOT have anyone in particular in mind, and am, in fact, trying to evaluate my own approach to new categories.

There are categories that each of find boring, trivial or even inappropriate. And we all have categories we find exciting, intriguing and significant. We now have a broad global community, which I celebrate. But that means that there is even more diversity of viewpoints. I believe that this means we have to take a more inclusive view of new category ideas. If there is enough interest for a group to form and support a category, unless it really goes against our accepted criteria, than I think we need to be generous enough to allow people to pursue their interests. One-lane roads obviously has an appeal to many. Insect Hotels and Wee Fairy Doors -- probably not so much for me, but they have their niche. Then there are a whole bunch of categories in countries I will likely never visit. Well, who knows?

Waymarking is a big tent, and there is room for a lot of variety here. We need to be sensible, but not overly exclusive. That is how I see it, anyway.

I completely agree, silverquill. Well said.

I now have photos ready for my first submission to this category. It's a wooden one-lane bridge in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park crossing the cascading Little River near a picnic area. (Leaves are now just starting to turn color...)

It will be waymarked as an interesting place to come and look around. Others (besides myself) were observed stopping and taking pictures of the area. The common bridge, while they certainly exist, will likely not be submitted as folks do not have the passion to spend time on the mundane (except for those just after numbers).

My original approach to Waymarking was as a big scavenger hunt. Go see if you can find one of these different locations - even if I would never try Bubble Tea again. Now I have my primary set of favorites, but also look at the recently added categories to see if anything I can contribute. For new categories, my take on the criteria are more about whether the concept is sustainable over the next decade or so. Are there enough places scatter around the world to to support the creation of new waymarks? This category will probably be similar in size to many other existing topics, so yes, viable.

So let's share with each other where to drive to see what we find is different to enjoy... One in favor, when this category is submitted for vote.

I see a trend in evaluating new category ideas, both here and in peer review, that gives me some cause for concern. I think the pendulum has swung from "almost anything goes" to "almost nothing is good enough." There seems to be more of an inclination to oppose a category for purely personal, subjective reasons.

We agree 100% -- we approach voting and review of categories in a three-step process:

First: Do we think the category meets the "big four" criteria, or does it have some issue related to those four (over prevalence, for example).

Next: is the write up clear enough that we know what we are Waymarking.

Last: Does the category appear sustainable? This is the most subjective, because we look at the experience level and involvement of the COs to make a judgement about people we have never met and will most likely never meet.

If a category is not interesting to us, then we will be icon-hunters on it only. To each their own -- as long as it appears that they are going to take care of it :)

To each their own -- as long as it appears that they are going to take care of it :)

Thanks to everyone for interesting thoughs, all I can just agree with. I'm closer to support this idea now, although I still think that 'one-lane' criteria is 'not enough' to gain collection of 'interesting' waymarks. But it's just my view, I can be wrong.

If there are waymarkers with passion for this category, even if the collection would be inconsistent .. - I have no valid reason to decline it.