Pinpointers?

Roman!

I recently was FTF on a nano in the bark of a tree. I felt I was lucky to find it very quickly as my patience is quite short so I looked into pinpointer metal detectors. Does anyone have one for geocaching and if so how handy is it?

My drone is equipped with one. It also has technology to detect plastic. Who needs eyes?

You'd be suprised how many things have been discussed, including teaching dogs to find caches, metal detectors, and sonar. In the end all these mechanical techniques make faulty assumptions: that all geocaches will contain metal parts, that all geocaches smell the same, and that all caches have voids in them. In the end the only tool I have ever needed is my eyes supplemented by a strong flashlight.

Question, if you are looking for a nano which is usually attached to metal, how does a metal detector work in an urban enviroment?

It won't always work, maybe rarely but there are times it might. If one is serious about their sport/hobby shouldn't they hink of ways to get better?

I do know someone with a dog trained for the deaf but also trained for looking for items that are man made or has human smells. Of course mostly works in rural or wilderness areas.

A pinpointed is $50, how much is a trained smelling dog?

Well the dog had to be trained anyway for the deaf, the trainer just added the extra training.

Well the dog had to be trained anyway for the deaf, the trainer just added the extra training.
Guide Dogs for the Blind used to train their dogs to retrieve objects (in addition to the various guidework commands, of course). The idea was to help retrieve dropped keys or dropped wallets or similar objects for blind handlers. But they dropped ;) that from the program years ago. Apparently, it wasn't useful enough in practice to justify the training effort.

I do know someone with a dog trained for the deaf but also trained for looking for items that are man made or has human smells. Of course mostly works in rural or wilderness areas.

A pinpointed is $50, how much is a trained smelling dog?

Batteries are cheap, how much does it take to feed one of these dogs?

I just spent $100 on flea medication for my two dumb cats, pinpointers don't get fleas.

Edited by Roman!

I recently was FTF on a nano in the bark of a tree. I felt I was lucky to find it very quickly as my patience is quite short so I looked into pinpointer metal detectors. Does anyone have one for geocaching and if so how handy is it?

The thing I bought is a security wand, $10 on sale. I have a nice metal detector, but the wand fits a backpack. It finds everything, which may or may not be useful. In my case, not so useful, because although the cache description says there are two Geocoins, it's in an area with buried metal trash. I found a whole lot of metal there. You probably can't filter out aluminum when hunting a nano, when most metal trash is aluminum.

I also have a rock light with a couple of wavelength settings. The artificial materials in camo might fluoresce. But the same materials (especially plastic fake leaves, hot glue, or camo tape) over time tend to change colors and become easy to spot, without a rock light.

Edited by kunarion

The thing I bought is a security wand, $10 on sale. I have a nice metal detector, but the wand fits a backpack. It finds everything, which may or may not be useful. In my case, not so useful, because although the cache description says there are two Geocoins, it's in an area with buried metal trash. I found a whole lot of metal there. You probably can't filter out aluminum when hunting a nano, when most metal trash is aluminum.

I also have a rock light with a couple of wavelength settings. The artificial materials in camo might fluoresce. But the same materials (especially plastic fake leaves, hot glue, or camo tape) over time tend to change colors and become easy to spot, without a rock light.

I'll look into the security wand, where did you get your?

Never heard of a rock light, sounds interesting.

Thanks.

I'll look into the security wand, where did you get your?

Never heard of a rock light, sounds interesting.

I got the wand at Harbor Freight. They have two different wand style detectors, and frequent sale prices. They also have regular treasure-hunting metal detectors. For a nano in a holly bush, the wand is probably a better choice.

The rock light is a portable UV fluorescent light with a couple of different wavelengths, to illuminate minerals. I also have a UV penlight, and those are super cheap on ebay.

I haven't found a cache using either the UV light or the metal detector, but maybe one will be handy for some tough needle-in-a-haystack hide someday.

Edited by kunarion