Groups on other social network sites

MountainWoods

I see that there is a Geocaching group on one of the most (in)famous social network sites. I don't mean a community page or an Interest page that you can like -- there are those also. But I mean a group that you can join so that you can have more freedom to upload photos and such.

Since GS doesn't actually "own" Geocaching (they just have the biggest GC site), I guess that is fine. Why not?

But Waymarking is something that is a bit different. I don't know of any Waymarking outside of Groundspeak. Do you think they would mind if there was a Waymarking Group in one of these social network sites?

I see that there is a Geocaching group on one of the most (in)famous social network sites. I don't mean a community page or an Interest page that you can like -- there are those also. But I mean a group that you can join so that you can have more freedom to upload photos and such.

Since GS doesn't actually "own" Geocaching (they just have the biggest GC site), I guess that is fine. Why not?

But Waymarking is something that is a bit different. I don't know of any Waymarking outside of Groundspeak. Do you think they would mind if there was a Waymarking Group in one of these social network sites?

There is a WM group on FB and flicker, but even deader than this forum. :laughing:

There is a WM group on FB and flicker, but even deader than this forum. :laughing:

Actually, when I asked that question, I only saw one Waymarking group (the kind that you either join or ask to join, not the community pages you like) and it was for somewhere outside the US, Poland I think. So if you saw a "dead Waymarking group" named Waymarking USA, it isn't dead, it's just brand new!

Edited by MountainWoods

Actually, when I asked that question, I only saw one Waymarking group (the kind that you either join or ask to join, not the community pages you like) and it was for somewhere outside the US, Poland I think. So if you saw a "dead Waymarking group" named Waymarking USA, it isn't dead, it's just brand new!

I may have confused the community page. I don't use FB anymore, but I do use flicker to host some of my photos and coordinates. I even have one of my WM's on my Youtube channel, but I haven't checked in or done much there in the last year.

I think my public photos get more views on flicker than here, and that is really my intent to just share photos of places and things that I enjoy. B)

Actually I've never really looked for either Geocaching or Waymarking on social media sites. I'm not sure what the point would be. Maybe.

Actually, I believe that Geocaching and Waymarking are registered trademarks for Groundspeak,so in that sense the do own them, along with Wherigo, and some others.

The concept, of course, is not owned so there are other similar games that are GPS oriented. Terracache is one. There is also a group in Europe that recently started something similar to Waymarking.

I'm an (the) administrator of the official Waymarking Facebook site, I posted all the posts since September 2012. If someone knows a great Waymark I should feature, let me know. I also talked with Groundspeak about the activities in social networks. As long as they show the topic (Geocaching and Waymarking) in a good way it's okay. Naming a group or a site "offical" should only done by Groundspeak. The fact that the Waymarking Facebook site has only 525 followers (Likes) in two years shows that really less people get in touch with the wonderful world of Waymarking. I think there is no need for more groups, etc. (that doesn't say that they couldn't be created).

When I start typing in Waymarking, I see:

Waymarking Danmark - a closed group that you can request to join. (That is the exact spelling.)

Waymarking.com - which appears to be a page or community, but not a group that you join (is that yours?)

Waymarking - an interest with no profile photo (something that you "like", but not post things to)

Waymarking - another interest, but with a profile photos (again, a page that you "like" and that's all)

Waymarking North America - a closed group that you can request to join

It looks like you can type in comments in the Waymarking.com page, but that is not the same thing as putting in posts (including photos) in a group. Since there was already one Waymarking group, there is now a second one.

For me, it seems like such a group would be a good place to show off your Waymarking outings in a sociable way -- something that somehow does not strike me as a purpose of these forums. Especially as the forums do not host photos or videos; you have to host them elsewhere and then link to them.

Waymarking Danmark - a closed group that you can request to join. (That is the exact spelling.)

Waymarking.com - which appears to be a page or community, but not a group that you join (is that yours?)

Waymarking - an interest with no profile photo (something that you "like", but not post things to)

Waymarking - another interest, but with a profile photos (again, a page that you "like" and that's all)

I think I might have joined that last group listed above. Sure would be more interesting if there were more people there...

Yep. So here it is in "plain Englitch": You may join us in the Waymarking North America group on FB. Advantages are that it is more light-hearted than these forums; you can post media directly to the group, rather than hosting it elsewhere and then pointing to it; you can show off what you've been doing or planning to do. We like to see that kind of thing.

Just request to join and be prepared to mention your handle. It's a closed group because there are too many folks trolling around for open groups to get into just to spam.

I think I might have joined that last group listed above. Sure would be more interesting if there were more people there...

How many members are there? :unsure: