Garmin etrex20

Kharraz1

I've been looking around purchasing a GPS unit and i've narrowed down my options to get Etrex 20. My only concern is that the Etrex 20 doesn't have an electronic compass and i was wondering how important is it in Geocashing? I just started geocashing about a month ago. I was using my Samsung Galaxy S3.

It's not. I have an Etrex 20 that I've used for years. I've recently acquired a Montana 650T, which has a 3 axis electronic compass. I've seen no advantage of having it when geocaching, so you should find the Etrex 20 perfectly acceptable.

I agree with sussamb. I've had several GPS'S with electric compasses and my etrex 20 works the best of all of them. Seemed like I was always calibrating them.

and I'll disagree :D

I bought an eTrex 20 as my first proper GPS.

When I was out caching in forests, I was constantly frustrated by it when I was moving very slowly (i.e. navigating around large puddles, rocks, fallen trees, etc), as it would point everywhere but where I needed to go.

The eTrex 20 worked fine as long as I was moving at a normal walking pace.

I bought a GPSMAP 62s on sale late last year; one of the main features I bought it for was the 3-axis compass, the others being able to use Chirps, and transferring geocaches to/from my friends GPS in the field.

Edited by BlackRose67

and I'll disagree :D

I bought an eTrex 20 as my first proper GPS.

When I was out caching in forests, I was constantly frustrated by it when I was moving very slowly (i.e. navigating around large puddles, rocks, fallen trees, etc), as it would point everywhere but where I needed to go.

The eTrex 20 worked fine as long as I was moving at a normal walking pace.

I bought a GPSMAP 62s on sale late last year; one of the main features I bought it for was the 3-axis compass, the others being able to use Chirps, and transferring geocaches to/from my friends GPS in the field.

+1....don't buy a unit without an electronic compass....when the going gets touch and its hard to walk at all much less fast enough for a non electronic unit to work you want a unit with the compass. If all your caching will be on open pastures or airfields you don't need one. In heavy brush, climbing rocks, etc its REALLY nice to have.

The problem, in my view is people need to learn how to zero on a cache..... You don't need to or want to wait for the GPS to read zero. If you triangulate from a distance, walk over and start searching, your life will be simpler. Spending time, trying to get the GPS to read zero is a waste of time and effort. The owner and your GPS are not going to read the exact same spot and you will not get any more accurate than you can by triangulating at 20 meters while walking up to the area.

You can compare the eTrex series here - http://geocaching.co.uk/gps/garmin-etrex-series/

Cons

* Map drawing slow while panning map

* Small screen can be an issue when looking at closeup map detail

* No carabiner clip included in package

* Compass page doesn’t flow like a real compass, but quickly switches to correct direction

* Once again the owner’s manual is short on detail– only very basic information is given.

Yep, they got the reasons NOT to buy it... :laughing: