No "picked up trackable" option

Path Pacer

When I drop a trackable somewhere and go to log it, there is an option to note that I dropped it off. Why isn't there an option to note that I picked one up? Geocaching.com shows a trackable is in the cache; why not have a box so you can check off that you picked it up?

As it is, I have to go to the trackable's page to log that I found it. It's a clumsy why of doing things.

When I drop a trackable somewhere and go to log it, there is an option to note that I dropped it off. Why isn't there an option to note that I picked one up? Geocaching.com shows a trackable is in the cache; why not have a box so you can check off that you picked it up?

Would the checkmark mean you Discovered it? Retrieved it? Would you then post TB pictures and TB logs while on the cache page?

You won't always know which TB you found, by name, and Tracking Numbers won't be shown in a cache inventory. If you take a TB that isn't listed in the cache's Inventory (which can happen), you'll have to go to the TB page anyway, and plenty of TBs aren't properly listed in caches.

If you take a generic TB from a cache (and it's, say, a toy turtle), and checkmark the one listed Trackable, “Emma's TB”, is everything correct? You've more likely checkmarked a TB that was taken a long time ago and not logged (Emma's TB, long gone), and took one that was never logged as being in that cache. That causes a lot of log unscrambling later.

It's convenient to be able to Drop a TB while logging a cache (yet you still need to go to the TB page and type a proper log), but it's good to keep TBs and Caches to their own pages where possible.

Edited by kunarion

I suggested a long time ago that if there were TB's in the cache's inventory, there should be a simple checkbox to indicate you grabbed 1 or more travellers from the page where you enter the tracking number for the item.

An alternative would be to allow the entry of a number for the number of items you retrieved or discovered. Then, much like how coord fields are generated when you check the box for adding those, a number of lines matching the number you entered are displayed where you can enter the tracking number, selcted retreived or discovered, and under those a small box for entering comments. Then, when you hit submit for your log, these all get posted to the applicable traveler pages as well.

To pick s TB up, you have to enter the tracking number. So your proposed check box would need to take you to a page where you enter the tracking number (and, hopefully, a log, although the results of simple drop off mechanism tells us that if pickup were as simple, we see a lot fewer pickup logs). In other words, the sum total of having a check box is that you could click on the check box instead of clicking on the TB in the list of TBs. That doesn't sound any easier to me.

Typically I go the other way: I start by going to the find-a-TB page and enter the tracking code there. That takes me to the TB page in a way that doesn't require me to figure out which TB in the cache it is, or whether, in fact, it is listed in the cache at all. Assuming it is listed in the cache -- the same assumption your proposal requires -- then I can go to the cache page from there to log the find. (When I pick a TB up, I always put a pointer to it in my log, so I always go to the TB page before logging the find, anyway, so I'd find the proposed check box that would only take me to the TB page after I filed the found log particularly useless.)

I see this proposal as being similar to proposing that you should be presented a list of caches in the area and allowed to check the ones that you wanted to log as Found. That would be easier, but it would reduce the caches found to mere numbers. I think trying to avoid visiting the TB page to log a pick up to the TB similarly avoids recognizing the TB an a specific item worthy of being treated as an individual. If you weren't interested in what the owner put on the TB's page, why did you bother picking the TB up to begin with?

To pick s TB up, you have to enter the tracking number. So your proposed check box would need to take you to a page where you enter the tracking number (and, hopefully, a log, although the results of simple drop off mechanism tells us that if pickup were as simple, we see a lot fewer pickup logs). In other words, the sum total of having a check box is that you could click on the check box instead of clicking on the TB in the list of TBs. That doesn't sound any easier to me.

{snip}

And you have touched on why I liked the first proposal better. Checking the box would, after clicking the button to submit your log, take you to the page to enter the item's tracking number just as canbe done now. This just acts as a shortcut to that point.

The problem with the list of trackables on the cache page is that many times I've encountered lists where figuring out which item goes with which link is maddening and time consuming. Sure, if there are only 1 or 2, it is an easy task, assuming the list is accurate and the item had been properly dropped into the cache. But that's often not the case. Having the checkbox would just give another avenue into the tracking process and, for some, a more convenient way to get there. It may even help with more accurate logging of trackables if there is yet one more place to act as an eye-catcher for folks who do not know the ins and outs of trackable handling.

As it is, I have to go to the trackable's page to log that I found it. It's a clumsy why of doing things.

Good point. I have suggested this before. It would also help that TB's don't get lost in administration procedures. The whole TB process could use an update anyway.

The problem with the list of trackables on the cache page is that many times I've encountered lists where figuring out which item goes with which link is maddening and time consuming.

The proposal does nothing whatsoever to help sort out which item goes with which link. That list will still be just as confusing whether it's the list in the description page, or a list on the log entry page, or a list that pops up because you checked a box somewhere along the way.

I'd even go further and suggest that as confusing as the list in the description page can be, injecting that same list later in the middle of the process of logging the cache would make it even more confusing. I'm not sure it wouldn't be as likely to make logging the cache harder as make logging the TB easier.

This example just underscores why it's better to look up the TB via the tracking number rather than mess with any list associated with the cache.

Having the checkbox would just give another avenue into the tracking process and, for some, a more convenient way to get there.

Sorry, I'm still not seeing how it's in any way more convenient. In fact, if I didn't know better, I'd think you were trying to show why it's less convenient.

It may even help with more accurate logging of trackables if there is yet one more place to act as an eye-catcher for folks who do not know the ins and outs of trackable handling.

OK, catching someone's eye is a possibility, but doesn't seem sufficiently likely to warrant adding it to the process. I see no reason to think that someone that doesn't know how to log a trackable is going to recognize that they should check your box.

The problem with the list of trackables on the cache page is that many times I've encountered lists where figuring out which item goes with which link is maddening and time consuming.

The proposal does nothing whatsoever to help sort out which item goes with which link. That list will still be just as confusing whether it's the list in the description page, or a list on the log entry page, or a list that pops up because you checked a box somewhere along the way.

I'd even go further and suggest that as confusing as the list in the description page can be, injecting that same list later in the middle of the process of logging the cache would make it even more confusing. I'm not sure it wouldn't be as likely to make logging the cache harder as make logging the TB easier.

This example just underscores why it's better to look up the TB via the tracking number rather than mess with any list associated with the cache.

Having the checkbox would just give another avenue into the tracking process and, for some, a more convenient way to get there.

Sorry, I'm still not seeing how it's in any way more convenient. In fact, if I didn't know better, I'd think you were trying to show why it's less convenient.

It may even help with more accurate logging of trackables if there is yet one more place to act as an eye-catcher for folks who do not know the ins and outs of trackable handling.

OK, catching someone's eye is a possibility, but doesn't seem sufficiently likely to warrant adding it to the process. I see no reason to think that someone that doesn't know how to log a trackable is going to recognize that they should check your box.

I don't have the time to get into this point by point, but I said nothing about replacing the cache page list or putting the list on the log entry screen. In the post you quoted, I only was talking about a simple checkbox that facilitated doing the very thing you suggest...taking people directly to the page to enter the tracking number after their log posts. Some people would see it and make use of it, others would not just like many other features on the site. But if it can help people find their way to the tracking number entry page and properly log trackables out of caches, I can readily see a potential benefit.

I only was talking about a simple checkbox that facilitated doing the very thing you suggest...taking people directly to the page to enter the tracking number after their log posts.

I wonder if just a code entry box would be good.

Within the "Inventory" box on the cache page, have a little place to type a Tracking Code.

"Did you find a Trackable here?

Enter the Tracking Code:

[ ____________ ]"

It's no checkmark, but it's a start. Folks will next be sent to that specific Trackable's log entry form, and can log one after the other, as usual. One problem is, they went to the cache page to log the cache, now they're logging Trackables instead. Any new idea is no good if we're adding to the confusion. The OP requires less clumsy why, this is becoming more clumsy why.

OR, have the box dynamic, where you enter a Tracking Code, and that Trackable's Code and name gets added, and the entry box recurs, to enter another. Then [something happens] on each Trackable's logs, whatever "the checkmark" in the above posts was supposed to do. Aye, there's the rub; what exactly is the default log to be? "Note"? "Discover"? "Retrieve"? Or does it just bring up to the Trackable's main page (remember, they were intending to type a cache log, where did that page go?), so they can select the appropriate log type? Will cachers be especially confused and try to log a Drop from this new feature and be unable to?

I'd prefer to have less connection to Trackables within cache pages, not more. But if they are there anyway, a little extra "Code" box can't hurt.

Edited by kunarion

In the post you quoted, I only was talking about a simple checkbox that facilitated doing the very thing you suggest...taking people directly to the page to enter the tracking number after their log posts.

I fail to see how a checkbox can take anyone directly to a page to enter the tracking number without presenting a list of trackables, either so they could check one before submitting the log, or so they can pick from a list presented after they've submitted the log where they checked a generic box. Otherwise how to they tell the system which trackable they took?

The only time a list wouldn't be required would be when there was a single trackable listed in the cache, but I was responding to the argument that this feature would help sort out which of several trackables one was logging.

Some people would see it and make use of it, others would not just like many other features on the site. But if it can help people find their way to the tracking number entry page and properly log trackables out of caches, I can readily see a potential benefit.

As I've said, I don't see any improvement, either in ease of use or visibility, over the list currently presented, so I see no reason to add a second, duplicate approach. But I gather the reasoning behind this proposal is complicated, so I'll have to wait until someone has time to explain it to me.

The bottom line for me is that if I'm going to grab a trackable, I've got to enter the trackable code, so why not start with that since it takes me right to the trackable's page regardless of whether the trackable is logged into the cache where I found it, and without me having to sort through the multiple trackables logged into the cache where I found it. Linking to the trackable through the logging process just introduces a problem plagued path that, if I'm lucky, will eventually get me to a page where I can...enter the trackable number. Why encourage people to take that approach?

I wonder if just a code entry box would be good.

Within the "Inventory" box on the cache page, have a little place to type a Tracking Code.

"Did you find a Trackable here?

Enter the Tracking Code:

[ ____________ ]"

While I'm not convinced this is any more worth it than the checkbox proposal, at least I can see using a feature like this.

I assume it would be implemented much like Drops, where the grab log would be added automatically but empty. That wouldn't thrill me, but I'm not sure how else it could be done that wouldn't be confusing. (I assume that's the logic that led to that approach on Drops.)

Do you think this should do anything different if the ID the user entered into the box isn't one of the TBs listed in the cache?

It also runs the danger of someone picking up multiple travelers and then not being able to figure out how to log them all because the only way they know to log grabs is with this box.

Do you think this should do anything different if the ID the user entered into the box isn't one of the TBs listed in the cache?

That's a good question. If the Code matches one of the TBs in the cache Inventory, all is well, and the site could automatically assume it will be a Retrieve, Discover, or Note. For any other TB, it could be any log. It does seem like the options could change based on whether or not a TB is in cache Inventory.

Here's where it gets complicated. Suppose a cacher Drops a TB, then assumes the "Code Box" is for logging the Drop. Well, it isn't... unless the Code Box also does that now. If it doesn't, there's the original drop-down menu at the bottom of the cache log (once that Found It log is started) for ease of logging the Drop, plus the new Code Box which is only for logging a Discovery or Retrieve (or a Note).

A "Checkmark" next to TBs listed in Inventory only works if the TB is in fact correctly listed already, and the cacher knows which listed TB it is (it's not always easy to tell what a TB that you're holding is named).

Anyway, I can't yet tell if any portion of this thread could make things easier. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion
I fail to see how a checkbox can take anyone directly to a page to enter the tracking number without presenting a list of trackables...{snip}

And this is where you veer of on a tagent, missing the entire point. It is very simple. The checkbox does not need to cause a presentation of anything. You seem, for some reason, to be fixated on this list thing. Get that out of your mind. All that checking the box would do is set a trigger in the code so that once the cacher clicks the button to submit their log the system would then redirect them to the page where they would enter the item's tracking number. No more, no less, and pretty easy to do. It simply provides another path within the logging process to do what you keep saying it is you prefer to do.

And this is where you veer of on a tagent, missing the entire point. It is very simple. The checkbox does not need to cause a presentation of anything. You seem, for some reason, to be fixated on this list thing. Get that out of your mind. All that checking the box would do is set a trigger in the code so that once the cacher clicks the button to submit their log the system would then redirect them to the page where they would enter the item's tracking number. No more, no less, and pretty easy to do. It simply provides another path within the logging process to do what you keep saying it is you prefer to do.

Oh, I see. Since you want it on the page where I log the cache, I naturally assumed it must actually do something related to the cache. I didn't understand that you were proposing an odd and complicated way to get to the generic TB search page which can be much more easily reached from the front page. If you want something like that, just put a link on the log page that says, "If you found a TB in this cache, click here to log it" which immediately takes you there rather than have a checkbox that brings up the search page at some later time. That approach has all the convenience you're looking for, but at the same time underscores that logging a TB is only incidentally related to logging a cache.

Now if you come up with some elegant way for me to log the TB and automatically link my cache log to the TB, then I'd think you were on to something.

just put a link on the log page that says, "If you found a TB in this cache, click here to log it" which immediately takes you there

Yes, that might be good. Have links like "I Found a TB", "I Placed a TB", that redirect cachers to appropriate info, or to a log form something like Google Calendar's "Quick Add". Maybe a popup window? Leave the TB Inventory as is. It's just a curiosity, and typically has no bearing on the cache contents. But maybe with some info right there at that TB list, the Inventories will become closer to matching the contents.

Edited by kunarion