Garmin GPSmaps 62s extra milage

daymo&bex

Yes, it's because you didn't wait for a good satellite lock before clearing your 'current track' or maybe you just didn't clear your 'current track' at all? So your GPS drew a straight line between where it was last switched off (your home) and where it got a lock.

Hmmmm ok I will make sure I have a better lock next time I reset it thanks

@ Sussamb, Since this general issue has been around since the implementation of the “New”operating system and file structure, and seems to be totally and completely misunderstood by the overwhelming majority of users, why don't you or someone officially associated with the Garmin Forums, or possibly even someone from Garmin Inc, create and then post officially (and in multiple forums ) an in-depth explanation of the When,Where,What,Why's associated with the “Dreaded Straight Lines PROBLEM” and Odometer Discrepancies / vs Track that many users THINK Garmin has?

Even Garmin Customer Serv Tech Support personnel regularly mis-diagnose the “perceived” problem and give conflicting explanations and many units have been unnecessarily sent back to the mfr. for repair or replacement.

Explain:

That older model units have a completely different operating system and thus require totally different operating techniques and procedures.

What is Archiving.

How Archiving choices affect results and which choice to choose for which results.

Does Archiving choice have any effect on the number of “straight lines”

What is the purpose of those straight lines "tying info together"

How Archiving prevents data loss.

What is the “last known position” point and how does it affect all of the Speed and Distance data fields on the Trip Odometer page.

What's the difference between Odometer and Trip Odometer?

What is the sampling rate of the trip odometer?

What is the sampling rate and method set by user?

Which method to choose for which desired outcome.

Which method is most accurate for displaying “actual path traveled”

Which method comes the closest to “actual distance traveled”

Why is there a difference in Distance between methods?

Should you “Save” a track or not?

What data does “Clear Current Track “ delete and what data does it NOT delete.

WHEN and WHERE to Clear Current Track.(partially covered above)

User settings and user timing and procedures are what creates or prevents the “straight lines”

Since this general issue has been around since the implementation of the “New”operating system and file structure...

It not a "New" issue.

My old Garmin GPS Map60csx used to do it, and still does, and it's no "New" GPS unit.

Always make sure your GPS 'knows' where it is, before starting any tracks or heading off for the cache!

(If for no other reason, if you waypoint your car so you can get back to it at the end of the day, it needs to be recording the correct location.)

That's strange as my gps hasn't been updated in ages as I've not been using it then the first time I use it it dose this, so I thought maybe needs update so did that not tried it again yet, bloody technology lol so dose this fault occur on new models as well?

Yes.

They will automatically join the point it was last, and where it is now.

If you turn it off in one location (home) then turn it on at a new location (where you plan to start your walk) it will join the two points.

GPS will also do it if you go through a tunnel and loose the satellites for long enough.

Straight line to join the dots, as you found out!

Only way is to Clear Track immediately before you head off.

When you finish the walk, Save the track.

Or, the other option is software to edit tracks/remove the straight lines.

That's strange as my gps hasn't been updated in ages as I've not been using it then the first time I use it it dose this, so I thought maybe needs update so did that not tried it again yet, bloody technology lol so dose this fault occur on new models as well?

It's not a fault ... it's how it's designed to work.

Well it never done it before and I have a garmin cycle gps and that doesn't do it