Proposal: Glass Hot Shops

Hello. I've not been on the WM forums for a while. I have been Waymarking though. Here's a category idea.

As a lover of glassblowing I'm wondering if this would make a good category.

A "hot shop" is a workshop equipped for working with molten glass. It will contain at the very least a furnace containing molten glass. It will probably also contain "glory holes" (gas powered reheating chambers) and "lehrs" (cooling ovens).

This category is for hot shops that are open to the public at least some of the time, where glassblowers can be seen demonstrating their work, and possibly where the public can try glassblowing. This includes commercial factories, provided that: (a) Glassblowing is done manually (with a blowing iron) and (b.) public tours are available.

Other workshops that use molten glass, but not for blowing (eg for casting) will be accepted provided they are open to the public.

Where a temporary workshop has been set up for an event this will be accepted.

Is this too narrow? Would perhaps "craft workshops" be better, to include open-to-the-public places where the public can see blacksmiths, potters, wood turners etc at work? In fact is there already such a category?

The key thing here is demonstrating the craft to the public.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Team Sieni

Interesting proposal. I've actually been to a 'hot shop' a number of years ago and it was a really interesting and fun experience for the family to watch the glassblowers make all kinds of items. Really neat stuff. This would definitely be an uncommon category if it ever came to fruition, but I would FULLY SUPPORT this category as a 'niche' category.

I guess the next question I want to ask is this: Could this potential category include other artisan-type professions as well, making this a broader category and increasing the chance of a waymarker finding a location? Pottery making? Basket making? Wondering if this could become an 'Arts and Crafts' category, that is, finding any and all locations of artisan shops where visitors can see the artisans working with their craft? Just thinking out loud.

Now we may be on to something!

Several in my state are waymarked under Art Studios.

The one in my town is so cool-not only can you watch the artists create amazing pieces of glass, but you can also watch them thru a viewing window while enjoying a meal in the pizza place they own.

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMC9GW_Bella_Forte_Glass_Studio_Edmond_OK

Ahh. Artists studios. Thanks.

I think this suggestion would be redundant.

And if ever I'm in Edmond, OK, I'll be sure to visit there. Unlikely, but if I am ...

I was visiting glass galleries and hot shops in Sweden recently. If I'd had "artists studios" in mind I'd have taken more pics and co-ordinates. I did find a glassblowing related mosaic, though:WMMF55

You know I'm getting a sense of deja vu. I bet if I searched the forum archives I'd find that I made this suggestion a few years ago and came to the same conclusion.

Edited by Team Sieni

I was visiting glass galleries and hot shops in Sweden recently. If I'd had "artists studios" in mind I'd have taken more pics and co-ordinates. I did find a glassblowing related mosaic, though:WMMF55

You know I'm getting a sense of deja vu. I bet if I searched the forum archives I'd find that I made this suggestion a few years ago and came to the same conclusion.

I too feel deja vu sometimes with these forum discussions.

And that is an amazing mural/mosaic in Sweden!