Problem with the Cartridge

K!nder

Hi,

i create a cartridge and in the simulator everything is alright. But when i pass it to the Garmin something happens and it sundenly turns off the GPS. The other thing is in the simulator all the menus are fine but in the android instead of doing like in the simulator after the actions a lot of menus with only ok appear. Does anyone has this problem?

When does it suddenly stops? While starting? While playing? If playing, what happens in this moment?

Which menus do you mean? The normal menus from the player or your own menus? Could you make a screenshot of the screen? Do you have a small test cartridge to reproduce the behavior?

Best regards

Dirk

The Garmin device will turn off if you have an input display when another is already displayed.

If you're new to Wherigo, chances are you may not have understood Wherigo's event-based nature. One common mistake is to put all your actions one after the other in a zone's OnEnter or OnProximity event. You might have something like: get input from a player, (some test for the answer), get input from a player, and (another test for the answer). The Wherigo player will then show the first input, immediately go on to validate the answer, and continue right on to showing the second input--all within a few milliseconds. Since one input is displayed and another will be displayed after it, you'll run afoul of Garmin's bug and the unit will shut off.

If you're moderately experienced, you could have your events prefect and still run into this problem. Let's say you show an input when the player enters a zone. The last I remember about Garmin's player is you had to be zero meters from the zone for the enter event to fire. Let's go with that. You manage to zero out and the input is shown. The next second in time, Garmin's GPSr will recalculate its coordinates and determine you are one meter from the zone. The second after that, the GPSr will recalculate your position and determine you're once again zero meters from the zone. And, hey, that means you're in the zone again! Time to show that input! The same input is already displayed, so once again you encounter that bug and the unit will shut off. The trick here is to either make the zone inactive upon entering or set a variable that you test for to prevent the input from displaying again. The entire scenario works if you use proximity as well; you just have to be on the edge.

In the early days of Wherigo, someone used proximity at a zone that contained a tank. The input asked me for the number on a plaque next to the tank. I was on the wrong side of the tank, so walked around to look for the plaque. Because of my movement, I exited the zone and reentered on the other side of the tank. Since the input was still displayed, my GPSr shut off. Thankfully, I had recently saved the game because I had heard of this problem.

If you're sure nothing like this is happening to you, one of the best things for you to do is to attach your cartridge file to the forum. If you do not want to circulate your cartridge's source code, you can upload what you have to the Wherigo Foundation site and post your WG Code in the forum. Any one of us with Wherigo Foundation access to the site will be able to download your source code. If another person wishes to help you, you can give them co-owner or download only contributor access to your cartridge listing.

This is exactly the issue I'm having, I need to get two inputs from a player one after the other but can't figure out how to split them so that one only fires after the other one has been answered.

Callbacks. Everything in Wherigo is tied to callbacks because Wherigo continues running things in the background while waiting for the player to do something. Thus, if you have two inputs one after the other, Wherigo will show the first input, then the second a few milliseconds later. That's probably what you're experiencing.

Assign the input's value to a variable by using the input's properties section. Look at the input's event "When a player inputs data" (it might be worded different based on your builder). Add an if/then statement to check for the right answer. If you're adding a message either way, you then need to hook into the message box's button click event to either show the current input again for a wrong answer or the next input for the right answer.

If all you want is a cartridge with a few zones and some questions and messages, use Wherigo\\kit as it's excellent at doing just that without your having to figure it out and you can export the cartridge code into Urwigo or Groundspeak's to learn how to set things up.