basic app won't run

VE7RY

I have tried to load the new basic app, but when I try to run it, a popup appears and says it cannot determine my location, and location services needs to be turned on. it prompts to take me to a settings tab and when I chose that, it opens the location services in settings. All three settings are enabled, even though I see no need for anything more than GPS location. When I cick okay, a blank screen opens with a rotating swirl. That's it nothing further happens, ever.

Does anyone have any ideas how to make this app work?

Has Geocaching sold out to Google? This smacks of Google needing to know exact where my a** is 24 hours a day. Do you really think Homeland Security needs to know where every cache is located, and who is looking for them, because Google makes everything they have open to Homeland Security

I have tried to load the new basic app, but when I try to run it, a popup appears and says it cannot determine my location, and location services needs to be turned on. it prompts to take me to a settings tab and when I chose that, it opens the location services in settings. All three settings are enabled, even though I see no need for anything more than GPS location.

This happened recently on my iPad "Intro App" (where I was testing the Message Center). I'm not seeing that message at the moment, and even when it popped up, I could continue. It's a new error, and although my iPad doesn't have a built-in GPS receiver, the App was previously fine with whatever coords it got, even though loose by a mile or more in some cases. Until this thread, I though the message was just complaining about the location method.

The Intro App has changed recently. An uninstall and re-install may be in order.

I have tried to load the new basic app, but when I try to run it, a popup appears and says it cannot determine my location, and location services needs to be turned on. it prompts to take me to a settings tab and when I chose that, it opens the location services in settings. All three settings are enabled, even though I see no need for anything more than GPS location.

This happened recently on my iPad "Intro App" (where I was testing the Message Center). I'm not seeing that message at the moment, and even when it popped up, I could continue. It's a new error, and although my iPad doesn't have a built-in GPS receiver, the App was previously fine with whatever coords it got, even though loose by a mile or more in some cases. Until this thread, I though the message was just complaining about the location method.

The Intro App has changed recently. An uninstall and re-install may be in order.

I am having the same problem. I have recently got a new phone and it just will not load the map. I have checked the location services several times and there's no problem there. I have also downloaded other geocaching trial apps and they are working. But this is the app I wanted... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app and rebooted the phone. Makes no difference.

I'm having the same problem. I have load the new basic app, log myself and try to run it, a popup appears and says it cannot determine my location, and location services needs to be turned on. But it's turned on ! For example Google Maps works well !

Please help me !

- Geocaching intro - version 3.0 - Samsung ACE 4 - SM-G357FZ - Android 4.4.4 -

Hey there!!

I just got the LG G4 and trying to use the geocache app for android. I saw that you were/are having the same problem as I am.

Try to run app and it tells me that location services need to be turned on, but they are already on!!

Were you ever able to solve this issue?

Please let me know.

Thanks so much!!

I am another one having the same problem with the Geocaching Android Intro App. When I tried to put it on my new HTC phone it tells me that location services need to be turned on, but they are already on!

I am not a newbie geocacher but I am a newbie smart phone user. I took my phone back to the Cricket store this morning and had a guy there try to help me, but with no success. We did get the app to work on his Samsung phone.

So, if I can't use the official GS app, which other free app would be good to use?

I am another one having the same problem with the Geocaching Android Intro App. When I tried to put it on my new HTC phone it tells me that location services need to be turned on, but they are already on!

I am not a newbie geocacher but I am a newbie smart phone user. I took my phone back to the Cricket store this morning and had a guy there try to help me, but with no success. We did get the app to work on his Samsung phone.

So, if I can't use the official GS app, which other free app would be good to use?

Try GDAK. You can even use offline maps (no need for dataconnection once caches and maps are downloaded.

Try GDAK. You can even use offline maps (no need for dataconnection once caches and maps are downloaded.

So GDAK shows me a map with my location, but how do I make it show caches?

I also installed c:geo and I can sorta see how to work that.

So GDAK shows me a map with my location, but how do I make it show caches?

You can load PQ's, import via API, copy a GSAK database... It's all here.

Thanks for the link; I used the Menu>Import and got the nearby caches. Cool, that will work for me.

I also found this forum thread that suggests using CacheSense:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=329590

I may load that also and give it a try.

I don't ever expect to give up my dedicated GPSrs, but would like sometimes to have the ability to check for any nearby caches that I haven't previously loaded.

So, when I was at the Post Office yesterday I checked both of the working apps I had loaded and both knew where I was and gave me nearby caches, but GDAK didn't give me one that c:geo did that I knew was right across the street. When I got home I analyzed what was happening and found that c:geo was returning all nearby caches, while GDAK was not returning caches that I had already found. OK, both are probably just a matter of settings I can change, depending on what I want at the time.

btw, I am aware of this statement:

From section 2.D of the Terms of Use: "You agree not to: i. Use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated means to access our services for any purpose without our express written permission."

but I don't have a clue what it means. And if you tried to explain it to me, I'm pretty sure I still wouldn't understand it.

My position is that if they won't (can't?) make an app that works, I'll find one that does. I know the official app works for many people/phones, but this thread is evidence that it doesn't work for all. And no developer has chimed in over the past 10 months to say that they're working on a solution, so I conclude that they don't care.

CacheSense is not free, so that is out of the running at this time.

Edited for typo.

Edited by NanCycle

I am having same issue and I already paid for premium month service. We aren't able to go and would love to! Please help!

Looks like the only solution is to use a different app. As I said above, I find that both c:geo and GDAK will work. I also jotted down something about GC Droid but never got around to looking at it.