Discovered log deleted

Xira

I recently posted a 'discovered it' log on a trackable http://coord.info/TB5275 The CO deleted it because he's not allowing that type of log.

I can understand a "discovered it" log being deleted if seems that I didn't really discovered the trackable item. But I did see it, I touched and admired it while attending http://coord.info/GC59H5Z and I said so in the log. I logged that event. My found logs show that I found other caches in that area on that day.

Should CO be entitled to delete logs that don't suit them?

Maybe got tired of bulk deleting a bunch that didn't go to events (on a paper or faceplant list) and after the hundredth or so, yours got zapped along with 'em.

Edited to add, I know a few state they don't want visits logged and so far, they're not getting hassled by Groundspeak, so yeah, I guess if it's listed on the page, it's okay.

- It is his.

Edited by cerberus1

I'm not going to address your question about trackable owner entitlement.

I will point out Geocaching.com's position, "Trackable Log deletion: We do not reinstate any logs regarding trackables. As trackables are considered private property, the trackable owner has the right to delete logs on their trackable details page as they see fit."

To find this, go to contact us, http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=request chose option 16. Geocacher Disagreement - below that choose "log deletion"

I will point out Geocaching.com's position, "Trackable Log deletion: We do not reinstate any logs regarding trackables. As trackables are considered private property, the trackable owner has the right to delete logs on their trackable details page as they see fit."

I don't accept that response by Groundspeak. If I gave an unacceptable reason for deleting a cache find, Groundspeak quite likely would intervene. Guess what. That physical cache container is MY PRIVATE PROPERTY (and if a claim is made that I had abandoned that Cache container in the wild, I would make exactly the same legal argument for a Trackable in the wild). I clearly see a difference between a CACHE and a TRACKABLE. There is a reason to treat them differently. $ay what that reason really is.

Ok I am not big on trackables. I have some and will log one occasionally bit not really deep into that aspect of the game.

But I wonder....

why take a trackable to an event, display it, etc.........then delete logs from people who discovered the trackable at that event??

May not be the trackable owner taking it to the event.

A lot of cachers will retrieve a trackable, and drop it at an event for another cacher to move on. Whilst waiting to be collected for the move it will be discovered by many other cachers...

Basically discover logs are against the mission of nearly every travel bug which is travelling. It is a privilege from a TB-owner to let discover logs be made.

So if a meet someone with a TB tattooed on his/her arm I should rip it off and take it with me so I can log it?

I was "grabbed" and "placed" into a cache once. To make it worse, it was a micro... during mid-summer in SD. Hoo-boy it was hot, and cramped! :ph34r:

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Basically discover logs are against the mission of nearly every travel bug which is travelling. It is a privilege from a TB-owner to let discover logs be made.

So if a meet someone with a TB tattooed on his/her arm I should rip it off and take it with me so I can log it?

I was "grabbed" and "placed" into a cache once. To make it worse, it was a micro... during mid-summer in SD. Hoo-boy it was hot, and cramped! :ph34r:

You too?!? I admit once I placed my vw beetle into a cache, it didn't fit very well so I grabbed it back quickly.

So would you prefer if someone retieves a trackable from cache X and then immediately drops it off again in the same cache?

That has happened frequently before the discover log were introduced.

Moreover, some cachers argue that discover logs are better than hearing nothing about the fate of their trackables for a long time.

I tend to post notes if I happen to see a trackable but do not take it along, but on the other hand notes can be posted without

knowing the tracking code and so there is no proof that I indeed saw the trackable.

I agree that the mission of most trackables is to travel. However the majority of geocachers decided not to take along any longer trackables

and with every further restriction or negative experience for those who do not ignore trackables at all the number of those who are willing to

help trackables will decrease even further.

Several local cachers have decided not to move along any further trackables and at best write discover logs because they sometimes took longer to move a trackable and received mails by the owner which they regarded as annoying. If in the end noone moves trackables and noone reports whether they are still there, the owner has not won anything. So sometimes being a bit more lenient might also help the target of trackables to travel.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

So would you prefer if someone retieves a trackable from cache X and then immediately drops it off again in the same cache?

That has happened frequently before the discover log were introduced.

Yes I would prefer that. Because this can't be done with automatic discover logs that are generated from lists with trackable codes. It takes a bit more effort from the person who logs it, and that little bit of more effort is just what is needed to make the info on the discovery a little bit more trustworthy.

Now I get discover logs on trackables from cachers that have seen it "somewhere in the last year". Pretty annoying especially when you already know the trackable is not in the cache it is supposed to be for a long time, but no one has logged the retrieval and still you get logs of people who claim to have seen it. And when I e-mail those persons (that wrote a discover log after the last drop) to try to find out when and where they have seen it, so I can figure out where the TB might be, they either not answer the e-mail or say "don't know anymore, at one of the events I went to".

Yes I would prefer that. Because this can't be done with automatic discover logs that are generated from lists with trackable codes. It takes a bit more effort from the person who logs it, and that little bit of more effort is just what is needed to make the info on the discovery a little bit more trustworthy.

Now I get discover logs on trackables from cachers that have seen it "somewhere in the last year". Pretty annoying especially when you already know the trackable is not in the cache it is supposed to be for a long time, but no one has logged the retrieval and still you get logs of people who claim to have seen it. And when I e-mail those persons (that wrote a discover log after the last drop) to try to find out when and where they have seen it, so I can figure out where the TB might be, they either not answer the e-mail or say "don't know anymore, at one of the events I went to".

I would not prefer it as after an event one would end up with extremely many logs.

I'm certainly not one of those who carry many trackables to events and shows them around, but sometimes I bring a certain trackable to an event to hand it over to a particular cacher who is able to help the trackable and at once at least 10 people who are nearby show up and write down the trackable numbers or take photos. You have absolutely no chance to avoid this even if you tell the people that you do not want them to behave like that. They simply do not understand.

Just imagine how many logs will arrive in the mail-boxes of all watchers of an event once they reintroduced the old system. The discover logs do not trigger mails for the watchers which is not the case for the retrieve-drop off cycle. 100 trackables and 150 attendants of which say 50 love to log trackables at events, that quickly gets very annoying.

If you wish to delete somewhat doubtful discover logs, that might be a borderline issue. I'm talking of being against discover logs at all and not accepting them which I think is counterproductive and harms trackables in the log run.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

I would not prefer it as after an event one would end up with extremely many logs.

I think you would end up with less logs. Now for instance after a Mega event I get hundreds of discover logs, logs that are clearly batch logs and totally meaningless. These cachers wouldn't have logged the trackable if they had to really log it by retrieving and dropping it instead of the automated discover logs which make it possible to easily log 100 trackables at the same time (and some even more than once). A few are even honest and say they didn't actually saw the coin but only the number on a list, and probably they get a file as well so even the typing of codes is not necessary anymore.

And I'm not saying that the whole discover option should be removed, it should just be able for an owner to disable it when it is misused, just like how I would like to be able to disable the took-it-to logs on some trackables as soon as I see it is misused by a cacher who clearly didn't take the TB anywhere, but has it logged automatically creating hundreds of pages of empty visit-loges as soon as they do trails etc.

I think you would end up with less logs. Now for instance after a Mega event I get hundreds of discover logs, logs that are clearly batch logs and totally meaningless.

First, you refer to logs for the trackable and I refer to logs that everyone who watches the event receives regardless of whether this person owns a trackable.

These cachers wouldn't have logged the trackable if they had to really log it by retrieving and dropping it instead of the automated discover logs which make it possible to easily log 100 trackables at the same time (and some even more than once). A few are even honest and say they didn't actually saw the coin but only the number on a list, and probably they get a file as well so even the typing of codes is not necessary anymore.

I have experienced such mass logs before the discover log has been introduced. So already back then it worked in an automatized manner - I have been around and I can remember how it was.

You would be quite astonished what cachers are willing to do if they want to increase some number and you need to take into account that the number of logged trackables plays a role for obtaining badges, certain challenge caches and in case of GCs for obtaining new icons.

You could be sure that once the discover logs were abolished, tools like project-gc and others for mass discovering trackables would be redone to work for retrieve and drop. Technically, this is is quite easy to do and it will never require more than a list of trackable codes and a default text and then press a button.

And I'm not saying that the whole discover option should be removed, it should just be able for an owner to disable it when it is misused, just like how I would like to be able to disable the took-it-to logs on some trackables as soon as I see it is misused by a cacher who clearly didn't take the TB anywhere, but has it logged automatically creating hundreds of pages of empty visit-loges as soon as they do trails etc.

This automatic took to option is what GSAK offers almost by default. That's not really the fault of the cachers and I would not call it abuse from their point of view. They just use what has been common to use among a very large group of those who log by using GSAK. It's normal for them and they just follow the example of all the others.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

I disagree with your opinion, but we can agree to disagree.

But this something I can't even agree to disagree on:

This automatic took to option is what GSAK offers almost by default. That's not really the fault of the cachers and I would not call it abuse from their point of view. They just use what has been common to use among a very large group of those who log by using GSAK. It's normal for them and they just follow the example of all the others.

Cezanne

According to you it is not the cachers fault because they simply copy what others do/what GSAK does. Are you serious? So I should be blaming GSAK for hundreds of empty took-it-to logs and not the cachers, because the cachers are simply too stupid, they don't know any better?

This is like saying it is okay that beginners/1 day fly-"cachers" steal coins, since they don't know any better because they don't get all information presented on a platter in baby-language.

I can understand WHY they make these mistakes, but that doesn't mean it is not there fault.

(note: I don't think that in general it are GSAK-users btw, that's only a small percentage, there are lots of other programs/apps that allow automated empty logs )

• Love 1

If only all cache owners would be as anal-retentive about their caches and logs as this person was about "discovered" logs on a trackable, we'd be running a tight ship around here! :laughing:

As it is, though, I don't really understand why TB owners fret over 'discovered' or 'visited' logs. In my mind, as long as the trackable is moving and getting eyes on it, it's accomplishing something.

Honestly, I rarely ever check a trackable's goal before taking it from a cache. If I can't move it on its goal, I'll drop it in the next appropriate cache. I don't generally "discover" trackables unless I'm at an event.

I have received more than 3400 discover logs on my TB's. Do these loggers really think that I care about all that spam? Why would I care about pages and pages of discover logs?

Well, in fairness to those people, you DID say they could log "discovered":

4AEw9Qy.png

True. But that does not change my point of view. One rule is that every geocacher may choose between leaving the TB in the cache and make a discover log, or take it. But: every discover log is a disappointment for me as a TB-owner for TB's that should travel. Travel bugs are not geocaches.

I have received more than 3400 discover logs on my TB's. Do these loggers really think that I care about all that spam? Why would I care about pages and pages of discover logs?

4AEw9Qy.png

True. But that does not change my point of view. One rule is that every geocacher may choose between leaving the TB in the cache and make a discover log, or take it. But: every discover log is a disappointment for me as a TB-owner for TB's that should travel. Travel bugs are not geocaches.

Some TBs have goals so f someone can't help the TB along shouldn't they just be allowed to discover it?

I sometimes grab a TB and sometimes I don't, depending how I feel so a discovered log is a record for me on the TB I have seen but decided not to move.

If it wasn't for the discovered log I'd grab the TB and drop it in the same cache so you'd have twice the spam and it would be hard for me to determine if I moved a TB or not.

4AEw9Qy.png

We've left notes in our log where we discovered it.

- At least you'd know it's still in play...

On the rare occasion there's a mission still attached, I'll discover it if I can't help it along. Again, to let the TO know it's still in play.

No smart phone, unless a mission's attached, or noticed on the cache page's inventory before leaving (many aren't correct), it's discovered.

These days, with so many inaccurate logs, I rarely even bother to look.

That doesn't help you at all.

According to you it is not the cachers fault because they simply copy what others do/what GSAK does. Are you serious? So I should be blaming GSAK for hundreds of empty took-it-to logs and not the cachers, because the cachers are simply too stupid, they don't know any better?

This is like saying it is okay that beginners/1 day fly-"cachers" steal coins, since they don't know any better because they don't get all information presented on a platter in baby-language.

I can understand WHY they make these mistakes, but that doesn't mean it is not there fault.

(note: I don't think that in general it are GSAK-users btw, that's only a small percentage, there are lots of other programs/apps that allow automated empty logs )

Yes, there are many other programs/apps as well. GSAK was just an example as it is used by many.

My message was that the majority of newer cachers in my area have no idea about that many trackable owners who cache for a longer time and have known a time where trackables often got individual logs

do not appreciate many "took to" logs and why they do not like such logs. These cachers think that what they do is normal as almost everyone around them is doing the same. Your example with stealing

coins is not a good one as people know that stealing is not ok regardless of their "geocaching socialization". They do not get any profit from using many took it logs (it does not increase their trackable counters, does not provide them with additionals icons/souvenirs whatever). They simply believe that they do something which is normal and appreciated by most cachers (and indeed, many newer trackable owners like took to logs as they increase the mileage of a trackable).

I think that it is impolite to use the word stupid in this context.

By the way, if every discovered log is a disappointment to you, a note that tells you that the trackable is still there should also be a disappointment for you (same effect on your trackable). So in effect do you expect everyone to move your trackable along? Sometimes one knows that one will not have time to visit a suitable cache soon or decides to leave a trackable for other reasons (for example, no interest into trackables at all). So do you really prefer to receive no message at all about your trackables for months and do not get any information whether the trackables are still there where they are logged into and are in good shape?

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

I once felt the way that trackable owner felt. Then I realized that everyone plays the game differently and they weren't right or wrong ... just different. There are trackables out there that can only be discovered ... yet another way to play the game.

I don't discover trackables and every one of the 1889 (as of today) trackables I've logged are trackables I've moved. I never read the logs of those who discover my trackables and always read the logs of those who move my trackables.

Remember folks, this is all supposed to be fun. When you start taking it seriously, it's time to take a deep breath and go for a walk without your GPSr in your hand. [:D]

Cache on

You own 300+ trackables! that's 10 discovered logs per trackable and you've been caching 5 years, assuming a constant rate of acquiring trackables that's maybe 3 discovered logs a month per cache at the peak, hardly a problem.

Edited by Roman!

No, I don't expect every geocacher to move my trackables. I already pointed that out. But why would I love all the spam of all these discover logs?

So you prefer that those who do not move along your trackable do not write any type of log? I typically write a note if I encounter a trackable and do not move it along, but that adds the same spam to for you than a discover log. Given the many cachers who do not move any longer trackables and given the many who forget to log trackables, I'm very glad about every news about my trackables,

Of course it is nice if one receives a log that moves a trackable forward, but I cannot understand why you have such a big issue with the other logs and I do think that the many complaints of trackable owners about bad treatment of their trackables will ultimately lead to almost noone taking along trackables any longer. I move them only to help the owners. For me it is just work and no fun.

I don't discover trackables and every one of the 1889 (as of today) trackables I've logged are trackables I've moved. I never read the logs of those who discover my trackables and always read the logs of those who move my trackables.

Does that mean that you have no interest into receiving an update whether your trackables are still in the caches they logged into.

I typically take the time to write a note and report that the trackable is missing or is still there but I did not take it.

I write such logs to help the owner and not to annoy the owner and have my notes been sent to trash immediately. I write them to be read.

Others prefer discover logs over notes in case they encounter a trackable as that way there is some proof that they indeed saw the right

trackable and not something else.

Cezanne

So you prefer that those who do not move along your trackable do not write any type of log?

I only care about travels. That is why I release travel bugs in the first place. So yes, I don't care about those discover logs.

If a trackable stays logged into a cache for a long time, you would not like to know whether it is still there and in good order? I typically write notes and not discover logs if I do not take the trackables along, but they require the same space. I appreciate if someone who does not move my trackable and finds it, reports that it is still there and I also appreciate reports that a trackable is not any longer in the cache where it is logged into.

You will not gain a single additional trip for your trackables when you are so negative about all trackable logs that are not matched with a real move.

Translated to the world of caches, your stance would be that you only care about found it logs for your caches and detest DNFs, notes etc

Travel bugs are not geocaches.

That's true, but you could still state that you are not interested to receive a note by someone who has previously found your cache and reports in the note that he/she passed your cache and that everything is ok. Along the same lines as you do for trackables you could argue that caches are there to be found and you do not care about status reports.

I value status reports both for geocaches and trackables.

If I write a note for a trackable, I do it because I want to do a service to the owner of the trackable and not to annoy the owner. I do not have any advantage from writing a log and I simply cannot take along all trackables I encounter. The big majority of trackable owners is glad to receive a status report for a trackable at least in my area where trackables often stay for months in caches.

I don't accept that response by Groundspeak. If I gave an unacceptable reason for deleting a cache find, Groundspeak quite likely would intervene. Guess what. That physical cache container is MY PRIVATE PROPERTY (and if a claim is made that I had abandoned that Cache container in the wild, I would make exactly the same legal argument for a Trackable in the wild).

Of course the cache is your private property, and Groundspeak owns only the listing (they are only the provider of listing services). You can do with the physical listing whatever you want, but the online logs are the property of the Groundspeak, and they have the interest in not letting you delete them for a whim, because it would make people less likely to pay for using their portal for searching for caches.

In case of trackables you buy a virtual item (tracking code) and they give you more rights to deal with that listing. Quite logical, otherwise people would be less likely to purchase them.

I don't accept that response by Groundspeak. If I gave an unacceptable reason for deleting a cache find, Groundspeak quite likely would intervene. Guess what. That physical cache container is MY PRIVATE PROPERTY (and if a claim is made that I had abandoned that Cache container in the wild, I would make exactly the same legal argument for a Trackable in the wild). I clearly see a difference between a CACHE and a TRACKABLE. There is a reason to treat them differently. $ay what that reason really is.

I think the difference is that the TB owner paid for the TB (and TB page?) and thus owns the page as well as the bug, where as a Cache owner only owns the cache, not the cache page. That may explain why GS seems to let TB owners do strange things with their bugs that they would have previously locked a TB for doing.

Basically discover logs have nothing to do with the concept of a travel bug. Years after travel bugs started, the concept of discover logs has been introduced because it would be a nice idea to log and make a note about the rucksacks, car stickers, tattoos, trackers, etc. That the concept of a travel bug is different from a geocache seems difficult to comprehend for many cachers.

Edited by Twentse Mug

Basically discover logs have nothing to do with the concept of a travel bug. Years after travel bugs started, the concept of discover logs has been introduced because it would be a nice idea to log and make a note about the rucksacks, car stickers, tattoos, trackers, etc.

That was not the reason why discover logs were introduced. This happened due to the upcoming habit of logging many trackables at events and the mass of incoming logs for all watchers of the event.

That the concept of a travel bug is different from a geocache seems difficult to comprehend for many cachers.

I fully understand that trackables and geocaches are different and still I think that writing notes or discover logs when one wants to report on the status of trackables one does not move along makes sense. I have written such status notes from the very beginning on and I'm caching considerably longer than you.

I try to take care of the trackables I either move along or encounter in a cache above what the average cacher in my area is doing. This includes writing notes as status reports (trackable there or missing) and watching whether someone retrieves the trackables I dropped off in a cache. This can include writing reminders to loggers after me, explaining that travel bugs are no trading items to newbies etc

If a trackable owner deleted one of my status reports, I would get angry and would consider to never move trackables again and ignore them from that point on as most in my area are doing already.

Cezanne

That the concept of a travel bug is different from a geocache seems difficult to comprehend for many cachers.

That the concept that some people like to collect icons by logging a discover on a bug seems difficult to comprehend for some TB owners.

You don't like people to log a discover on your bugs. I get it. That's fine. Attach a note to your bug, or update your page, and I promise never to log a discover on yours.

Last weekend I found a coin, and I took a photo of it. When I went to log a discover, I noticed that it was last logged in Idaho, almost a year ago. The cache is in California. I mentioned that in the log. If it were my TB, I'd really appreciate knowing that. If you don't, that's OK. It's 1 minute of my time, and 15 seconds of yours, less if you set up automatic email filters.

I'm not going to address your question about trackable owner entitlement.

To find this, go to contact us, http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=request chose option 16. Geocacher Disagreement - below that choose "log deletion"

Well this statement seems to be contrary to the guideline 4.6. for Adopting or Transferring a Trackable found in the Knowledge Books of the Help Center.

There it say...

When a Trackable is adopted, do not delete previous logs unless there is a good reason for it such as obscene or threatening language.

This would mean that deleting eligible logs (discoverd, retrieved, dropped or even notes) would not be right.

Well the person from Groundspeak who made that statement was pretty foresighted, because he/she knew that deleting logs on a trackable would cause trouble.

Just think of all the cachers out there that love getting all those nice icons. By deleting those logs you kind of steal them their rightfully collected icons.

Dashing Surveyor

When a Trackable is adopted, do not delete previous logs unless there is a good reason for it such as obscene or threatening language.

This would mean that deleting eligible logs (discoverd, retrieved, dropped or even notes) would not be right.

Well the person from Groundspeak who made that statement was pretty foresighted, because he/she knew that deleting logs on a trackable would cause trouble.

Just think of all the cachers out there that love getting all those nice icons. By deleting those logs you kind of steal them their rightfully collected icons.

Dashing Surveyor

3.1. Trackable Etiquette

Virtual trackables with virtual logs are not encouraged. It is up to the trackable owner to state if they allow this, and delete any bogus logs.