Can't upload GSAK file to excel spreadsheet

Icecreamminx

Hey there

I know this has probably been here many times but I couldn't find the thread. I am trying to upload by PQ from GSAK to excel spreadsheet. I have followed the directions in the help section. I have tried to export as csv/txt onto my desk top and then when i go to open it i dont get excel as an option. I have even created an excel spreadsheet on the desktop and when asked to what I wanted to open my GSAK file with I browsed to this file and selected but nothing happened. Am I missing something?

Hey there

I know this has probably been here many times but I couldn't find the thread. I am trying to upload by PQ from GSAK to excel spreadsheet. I have followed the directions in the help section. I have tried to export as csv/txt onto my desk top and then when i go to open it i dont get excel as an option. I have even created an excel spreadsheet on the desktop and when asked to what I wanted to open my GSAK file with I browsed to this file and selected but nothing happened. Am I missing something?

Yes, you are missing a step. You don't open the file with Excel from the operating system. You need to open Excel then from within Excel import the data. When you do this Excel asks several questions, one of which is the file type you are importing.

Hey there

Yes, you are missing a step. You don't open the file with Excel from the operating system. You need to open Excel then from within Excel import the data. When you do this Excel asks several questions, one of which is the file type you are importing.

I tried that but it didn't seem to work. My steps are: In GSAK -file-export-csv/txt-name it and it is saved to desktop. If i click on it as i mentioned i get an 'open with' dialogue box which does not access/allow excel. so after your reply i opened a blank excel sheet-data-import external data-desktop-but then the options that are allowed does not show the file i placed there when exporting csv/txt from GSAK. I know i have created excel sheets before but it has been a long time. I wm working with Windows 7 64bit. WHat do you think?

I tried that but it didn't seem to work. My steps are: In GSAK -file-export-csv/txt-name it and it is saved to desktop. If i click on it as i mentioned i get an 'open with' dialogue box which does not access/allow excel. so after your reply i opened a blank excel sheet-data-import external data-desktop-but then the options that are allowed does not show the file i placed there when exporting csv/txt from GSAK. I know i have created excel sheets before but it has been a long time. I wm working with Windows 7 64bit. WHat do you think?

With a blank (new) spreadsheet open in Excel, choose File; Open. In the Open dialog, you'll see a drop-down list of file types available. From this drop-down list, select Text Files. Then navigate to the Desktop, choose the file, and click Open. At that point, Excel will ask you for the information it needs to convert your file to a spreadsheet.

Bottom line: Do a File, Open and not a data import.

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230

Well that didn't seem to work. So this is what I did. Step A: GSAK-file-csv/txt-named it-use defaults - include column headings -generate File X on desktop. This file is a non-descript file when double clicked asks what application you want to open it with. I have tried opening it with Word and savng that to create excel but did not work. So based on the original file i created File X....

Step B: Open excel- file- open - desktop - file type - text files- File X is not there- file type - all files- File X is there- click - opens up excel text import wizard. step 1 of 3- must chose between delimited or fixed width (if I chose delimited all the data is in one row and not able to manipilate it) so chose fixed width. step 2 0f 3 I set column breaks.

step 3 of 3 - data format- finish. This sheet has the data but it is in an unorganised fashion with some data such as hint spread across multiple cells and lots of " ". the cells can be manipulated but will take me a while to cut and paste all the data into the appropriate columns. IS the usual end result?