Puzzled by puzzles

Roman!

If someone places a cache atop a mountain and makes it a T5 and I hire a helicopter to turn it into a P&G and stated so in my log I thing Id get kudos from my local cachers, if I find an alternative and IMHO better way to find a puzzle cache I get insulted, any wonder why I hate puzzle caches?

A helicopter would be special equipment and thus still within the spirit of a T5 terrain cache.

If someone places a cache atop a mountain and makes it a T5 and I hire a helicopter to turn it into a P&G and stated so in my log I thing Id get kudos from my local cachers, if I find an alternative and IMHO better way to find a puzzle cache I get insulted, any wonder why I hate puzzle caches?

A helicopter would be special equipment and thus still within the spirit of a T5 terrain cache.

Saving the earth deserves some kudos too.

Perhaps Roman! should move down here

Within 10 miles: 3 Challenges, one Bonus for two other caches, No Puzzles - 4 in total

Within 25 miles: Those 4 plus one puzzle.

1000 ? caches in 185 miles.

I had my bags packed and was just about to book my airline ticket when I decided to check where I'd be headed to......Australia?

I cancelled my move, just can bring myself to move to an island that's home to 90% of the worlds poisonous species including a poisonous mammal, really? Poisonous mammals?

That's the thing that amazes me about Australia. 7 out of 10 of the world's most venomous everything and there are still a few of us alive!

No worries really, they stay out in the bush and we stay away from them. Of course, if you are into hiking in the bush...

Not all of them stay in the bush, however! A few like to come into your homes and yards. Just sayin'. :anibad:

Would you insult me for taking a helicopter?

I was within the spirit of being environmentally friendly.

Bottom line, why is someone insulting me on how I solved a puzzle? Puzzle caches = grief! that's not what this games about.

Edited by Roman!

Linky, Linky.

I don't see any insult, unless it was edited out. If you go out of your way to circumvent the path that the CO laid out and then brag about it, you should know by now that it's going to annoy someone. By the way, there is a CO near Hagerstown MD who has claimed to have hidden a climbing cache with a helicopter. :P

Are we all not at our computers or other electronic devices to comment in this thread?

Do we not need to log onto a website or App to log the caches once found? Do we not also log on to log trackables in and out of caches?

Let's just move on from the straw man that is discussing indoor/outdoor time for geocaching. The point of all physical caches is to find them, sign a logbook, and log it online. Whatever it takes to get there is moot (adj. (2)).

Mystery/Puzzle (was Mystery/Unknown; Unknown) caches have been around for some time, and with history and historical context as outlined in the last few posts above. I doubt that we'll see them go away. I think, especially, that the Mystery/Puzzle name was adapted from previous names for the "?" cache in a careful way (I'm as surprised as y'all are). So, that cache type will still be a hotbed for experimentation, but "puzzles" will always be a part of them. The "Mystery" part of the name lets Groundspeak, Vol Reviewers, and users have some wiggle room for new cache creations that adhere to the guidelines.

So, other than just checking to see how many "?" caches are on our maps at different ranges, what's the actual discussion Roman! is trying to incite herein? Hmm? :ph34r::laughing:

One theory is that he's usually trying to incite a riot. Actually, I think he prefers it to be just short of a riot, because Keystone frowns upon riots. ;)

Linky, Linky.

I don't see any insult, unless it was edited out. If you go out of your way to circumvent the path that the CO laid out and then brag about it, you should know by now that it's going to annoy someone. By the way, there is a CO near Hagerstown MD who has claimed to have hidden a climbing cache with a helicopter. :P

That 9/19/14 post on the "linky, linky" is quite an environmental statement. Roman! Is saving the world, one cache shortcut at a time! ;)

Linky, Linky.

That 9/19/14 post on the "linky, linky" is quite an environmental statement. Roman! Is saving the world, one cache shortcut at a time! ;)

He makes a good argument for saving the planet by staying indoors on the treadmill and just solving puzzles, as going anywhere seems to be killing the environment.

Bottom line, why is someone insulting me on how I solved a puzzle? Puzzle caches = grief! that's not what this games about.

A helicopter is a bad analogy. We have a number of puzzle solvers who will post, "I wrote a computer program to solve the puzzle". No one is complaining that they did this. In fact, in the spirit of a book I read a child called "Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine", using a computer to solve puzzles is viewed as having made an extra effort.

If n a puzzle is so complex that it requires writing a computer program to solve, it probably isn't a very good puzzle and I wonder if the problem is that too many puzzles seem to be of this ilk, or at least where using a computer or a code breaking internet page would make it much easier than it would be to solve with just thinking wit a pencil, paper, and perhaps the calculator app on your phone.

f you go out of your way to circumvent the path that the CO laid out and then brag about it, you should know by now that it's going to annoy someone.

First off, if there was a rule I had to solve the puzzle the way the CO intended then I never would have found it.

Secondly, I'm pretty confident I actually learnt more by solving it online than those that went to all the stages like the infamous Vancouver devil statue.

Thirdly, I am saving the world one puzzle cache at a time.

I wouldn't insult you for getting the coordinates to a puzzle cache from a buddy either. I like finding caches. Period.

*edited to add: I'd probably insult you for not offering me the extra seat on the helicopter.

Edited by GeoBain

f you go out of your way to circumvent the path that the CO laid out and then brag about it, you should know by now that it's going to annoy someone.

First off, if there was a rule I had to solve the puzzle the way the CO intended then I never would have found it.

Secondly, I'm pretty confident I actually learnt more by solving it online than those that went to all the stages like the infamous Vancouver devil statue.

There certainly is no rule that you have to solve it the way the CO intended, or at all, as that would require a rather pedantic and tiresome enforcement. But just because there is no "rule", doesn't mean that by bragging about it, you should not expect to annoy the CO. I'm sure that you could legally wear a sheer pink spandex bodysuit and jog around Vancouver on a regular basis, as there is no rule against it, but that doesn't mean that it won't annoy anyone either.

There certainly is no rule that you have to solve it the way the CO intended, or at all, as that would require a rather pedantic and tiresome enforcement. But just because there is no "rule", doesn't mean that by bragging about it, you should not expect to annoy the CO. I'm sure that you could legally wear a sheer pink spandex bodysuit and jog around Vancouver on a regular basis, as there is no rule against it, but that doesn't mean that it won't annoy anyone either.

Firstly, I'm just logging my experience with the cache but maybe I should just log TFTC on all puzzle caches so others don't get their feathers ruffled which I don't understand in the first place, grown ups getting upset because someone found their cache in a different fashion than the expected.

You keep on using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.