another old timer saying goodbye

Team Dragon Racing

sadly after a discussing on how i run my virtual cache i have come to the realization that geocaching has left me behind in the ideas of what this game is and what it is to become. To my friends i just wanted to say thanks and to those that don't know me wish we could have met. this dragon has never been about the numbers but about what around the next bend.

slith of team dragon racing

sadly after a discussing on how i run my virtual cache i have come to the realization that geocaching has left me behind in the ideas of what this game is and what it is to become. To my friends i just wanted to say thanks and to those that don't know me wish we could have met. this dragon has never been about the numbers but about what around the next bend.

slith of team dragon racing

As I understand it, nothing has changed about managing a virtual cache since the first one was created. As another virtual cache owner, I would be interested in what that conversation was about and what your take on it is.

The CO's virtual cache asks finders to send a verification photo to an email address posted on the cache page. If the photo is not sent to that email address, and instead is uploaded to the finder's log, the CO deletes the find. I imagine that this is what caused the discussion. A subset of virtual caches is the only category of caches left where the finder must send an email outside of the Geocaching.com web site in order to log a find on the website.

That was a verification method that didn't work for me primarily because I didn't want my email address to be on the cache page. That being said, it's not an onerous requirement and people should abide by the instructions on the cache page.

I suspect that what happens is that people are generally lazy (me included) and don't actually read the requirements well enough to know that they must email the pic rather than post it. You wouldn't think that it would be that big of a deal for those people to email the pic on the back end and relog the cache.

Edited by sbell111

The CO's virtual cache asks finders to send a verification photo to an email address posted on the cache page. If the photo is not sent to that email address, and instead is uploaded to the finder's log, the CO deletes the find. I imagine that this is what caused the discussion. A subset of virtual caches is the only category of caches left where the finder must send an email outside of the Geocaching.com web site in order to log a find on the website.

you are correct keystone i just gotten tired of the nasty messages ontop of having to deal with the police 2 times yesterday and almost facing trespassing charges for not approved by the landowner geocaches

That was a verification method that didn't work for me primarily because I didn't want my email address to be on the cache page. That being said, it's not an onerous requirement and people should abide by the instructions on the cache page.

I suspect that what happens is that people are generally lazy (me included) and don't actually read the requirements well enough to know that they must email the pic rather than post it. You wouldn't think that it would be that big of a deal for those people to email the pic on the back end and relog the cache.

i don't delete the log just the pic from the 0 point and there pissed because i removed there picture and hadent gotten to the 2 others yet that were posted 10 min after i did my daily delete

you are correct keystone i just gotten tired of the nasty messages ontop of having to deal with the police 2 times yesterday and almost facing trespassing charges for not approved by the landowner geocaches

I support your ability to manage the verification the way that you have it set up. However, would it not be easier for you to simply require them to post the verification pic in their log? That way, you could easily run through the finds and catch those without a legit pic and delete them. I'd rather find a way to make it easier for you to manage your cache then to see it lost (and not just because I haven't gotten around to finding it yet.)

<After reading your later post, I now see that my solution would not work.>

Edited by sbell111

i don't delete the log just the pic from the 0 point and there pissed because i removed there picture and hadent gotten to the 2 others yet that were posted 10 min after i did my daily delete

Now I understand. You are attempting to keep them from revealing the actual spot so as to not ruin it for those that come later. Therefore, photos of that spot are not welcome in the logs. That is exactly the same scenario as my virt.

I support your ability to manage the verification the way that you have it set up. However, would it not be easier for you to simply require them to post the verification pic in their log? That way, you could easily run through the finds and catch those without a legit pic and delete them. I'd rather find a way to make it easier for you to manage your cache then to see it lost (and not just because I haven't gotten around to finding it yet.)

<After reading your later post, I now see that my solution would not work.>

used to do it that way till the people trying to photoshop the pic got to bad