But it it waterproof?

user13371

The newest iPhone includes a separate "motion" processor and a barometric altimeter. New display technology said to improve viewing angles, may improve outdoor readability. Battery life considerably longer than current models - which I don't doubt, but I won't believe any specific numbers until they've been proven in the field. The Apple Watch lets you access a lot of the phone's data (including GPS directional prompts for turns) without taking the phone out of your pocket. It's also a fitness tracker including HRM.

But I can't find anything in the specs yet mentioning water-resist or water-proof. The Apple Watch surely needs to be - sure hope the phone is too.

Yes, this is a GPS and geocaching related subject because features extend overlap into things the GPSRs do for us now. Main reason an eTrex20 is on my handlebars is because the iThings aren't weatherproof.

Edited by user13371

Although, there are websites that are saying......"The biggest surprise is the water-resistant and shatterproof claims"

I don't care what they say....I'll treat it the same way I've treated all my iphones - with EXTREME CARE. These things costs WAY too much to replace if you break one!!

My provider offered cover-all-losses insurance. Ain't cheap, but a one-time charge of about $100 is better than $500. Don't know whether I'll get that insurance next time or not.

But I can't find anything in the specs yet mentioning water-resist or water-proof. The Apple Watch surely needs to be - sure hope the phone is too.

The iPhone 6, 6 Plus is don't take near water at all. Put it in a Lifeproof case if you want that.

The Apple Watch is water resistant - washing hands, rain. Do not submerge. Not for swimming or showering. Note the watch has a microphone and speaker so that leads to holes in the case to support those functions.

I am planning to get the watch on day one, I currently use a Pebble. Disappointed that the Apple Watch will be one day battery but that's to be expected with the technology package in there. I'll keep my Pebble for use on my canoe trips (wrist gets dunked occasionally, 7 day battery due to the e-ink display). I'm rather excited about the Apple Watch as it will collapse a few wearables into one for me - Fitbit + Pebble + Heart Rate monitor (for Runkeeper). If it has location services I may even be able to leave the phone at home when I go for a run yet still track the activity. That would be most exciting. If Groundspeak doesn't write a geocaching app for it..... well I will be bugging the heck out of them to grant me an APi key so I can.

As for what Samsung or other Android manufacturers have .... I don't care. If I did, I would already have something like the Galaxy Gear II or the Motorola watch ... because they came out first and I'm not known for patiently waiting for cool new gadgets.

BUT ... I have a media and app library that's going on 4 years now that I don't want to repurchase. I also have a Mac, and an Apple TV and such. I'm assuming at this point the Apple Watch will operate in that "halo" and give me an Apple Remote on my wrist for the Apple TV too ?

All in all, living in 2014 is a dream, isn't it with all the cool tech that's coming out.

"Apple Watch unites the capabilities of an all-day fitness tracker and a highly advanced sports watch in one device you can wear all the time. It can track a wider variety of activities because it’s able to collect more types of data. It uses an accelerometer to measure your total body movement. It has a custom sensor that can measure intensity by tracking your heart rate. And it uses the GPS and Wi‑Fi in your iPhone to track how far you’ve moved."

- Dammit !!! dry.gif. Well I'm still getting one. But I guess the iPhone is coming along for the running.

Garmin Forerunner 15....does most of that with its own GPS. I'm sure the watch does much more and will be suitably overpriced.

It starts at $350, vs the Forerunner 15 which is $190 at GPSCity. The 24k Gold one will surely cost a lot more but I'm unlikely to invest in one of those.

The extra $160 DOES provide me value in other aspects in that it also lets me do other things like respond to text messages and view weather information. I kind of like the idea of my smart watch displaying "EC: TORNADO WARNING - Caledon" when I'm a kilometre into my Caledon Trailway run. Also unlikely the Forerunner has features like being an Apple Remote, nor can it handle phone calls.

There are different markets for different devices and if all I wanted was the running feature well, I'd already own a Forerunner. $350 isn't really all that bad pricing when you consider the Pebble Steel is $250.

...excited about the Apple Watch as it will collapse a few wearables into one for me...

This would be the main (only?) draw for me. Unlike many folks, I want to have FEWER toys, not more :)

Interestingly, Apple Watch is listed as working with some older phones (5, 5c, 5s) so would NOT require a 6 or 6 Plus. No mention of working with any iPads though. But if I can use the Watch with the iPad mini I already have, that's one less gadget to buy.

1410387380[/url]' post='5426043']
1410375165[/url]' post='5425946']...excited about the Apple Watch as it will collapse a few wearables into one for me...

This would be the main (only?) draw for me. Unlike many folks, I want to have FEWER toys, not more :)

Interestingly, Apple Watch is listed as working with some older phones (5, 5c, 5s) so would NOT require a 6 or 6 Plus. No mention of working with any iPads though. But if I can use the Watch with the iPad mini I already have, that's one less gadget to buy.

I like to expand capability while reducing the kit I am carrying. The iPhone 6 does not address that for me so I am not overly excited about it. I already wear a Pebble though, and use fitness devices so yup one package that does more than the three standalone devices combined (Fitbit, pebble, Garmin HRM) colour me interested for sure. Besides, Dick Tracy watch

Yogazoo, all of the devices under discussion here are full featured GPSRs, supporting mapping, geocaching, and have a handful of other useful features.

When you can take your tracklog or waypoints from an iPhone and import them into ArcGIS as a shapefile I'll agree. For data collectors and field mapping, iPhones and Android toys just can't hang. For geocaching however I'll agree, many parallels, and since this is a geocaching focused forum I'll let it slide. :P

Edited by yogazoo

Yogazoo, you are most gracious! Thank you for allowing the discussion of smartphones to continue in the context of geocaching.

There are many apps on iOS that can import and export tarcks and waypoints in GPX format, and there are also lots of GIS apps: http://appshopper.com/search/?cat=&platform=ios&device=universal&search=Gis

But for simple folk like me, who never considered "importing my waypoints and tracks into ArcGIS" -- tell me what you have on your GPS to enable that. And while the rest of us were discussing consumer grade gadgets for recreation and other personal navigation - how did professional grade data collection become your key qualifier for true GPS-ness?

Edited by user13371

But for simple folk like me, who never considered "importing my waypoints and tracks into ArcGIS" -- tell me what you have on your GPS to enable that. And while the rest of us were discussing consumer grade gadgets for recreation and other personal navigation - how did become professional gear for field data collection your key qualifier for true GPS-ness?

Yeah, I'm kinda curious how that became a spec to consider. Do I take the Trimble survey GPS out or nah my Apple Watch should be good enough. Isn't that how we end up like this:

oops-.jpg

As for exporting GPX from an iPhone, let's see: Runkeeper, GPS Motion X, Everytrail, .....

My provider offered cover-all-losses insurance. Ain't cheap, but a one-time charge of about $100 is better than $500. Don't know whether I'll get that insurance next time or not.

I'm sure my provider does the same thing. I've never purchased it or any insurance.

Every 2 years we upgrade to new iphones - and we keep our old phones as backup (no insurance needed).

I guess its a toss up.... if you can find someone willing to buy (or trade) your old phone for the same amount as the cost of insurance....or more...?? You'd probably get more money selling your old phone to some kids so they can use it like an itouch. ;)

My husband and I haven't had any problems with needing our spare phones. Thank GOD, knock on wood...