Webcam & Locationless (Reverse) Caches vs Waymarking?

I'd like to get one of each cache type, but when I tried searching the map for webcam and locationless caches, I realized locationless wasn't included in the filters and there are very few webcam caches.

After googling about them, I discovered Waymarking.com. Are these "caches" now only being published on Waymarking? If so, if I find one on that site, will the cache type show up as found in my Geocaching statistics?

Thanks for the info :]

Edited by LestISmiteThee

No new webcam caches have been published on geocaching.com since about 2004 or so. But there are still a number out there you can log.

Locationless were all archived and locked a number of years ago so you can't log one of these.

You can list new webcams on Waymarking but it won't count on GC.com for anything.

Surviving webcam caches are pretty rare. From your profile, I'm guessing you live in Mississippi. There is one remaining active webcam cache in MS, on the campus of Mississippi State University: http://coord.info/GCNHA5 Next door in Alabama there is a webcam cache on the Auburn campus, but it's temporarily disabled at the moment while the University upgrades its equipment. There are no surviving webcam caches to the west of you in Louisiana.

When planning trips, many geocachers check for the rarer icons (webcams, virtual caches) near their destination or along their route. It may be easier to score a webcam find while on vacation or when traveling for your job.

Thanks, ChileHead. Too bad I'll never fill in that Locationless on my stats page, but hopefully I'll come across a Webcam soon before they're all gone :]

I actually calculated that once, but I don't have it in front of me. I believe it was 91% or so of all accounts were created AFTER all locationless caches were locked on January 3rd, 2006 (that date is also off the top of my head). There have been proposals to open them up for a short time again, but I don't think they'll ever fly with HQ.

I've since looked it up (I blogged about it once). An amazing 93.84% of registered accounts joined after January 3rd, 2006 (and that date is correct, by the way), and never got a chance to do a locationless cache. That number is probably a little higher now, I calculated that a few months ago.

Of course there's the extremely little known fact that when the official Geocaching.com smartphone apps first came out, you could log them on the app. :ph34r: I'll bet most people were smart enough to back date their "finds" to 2005 or earlier.

I enjoyed locationless back in the day, but they were different than Waymarking. Generally, a location could be logged only once, so those of us who got started even a little late had to do a lot of research to find a place that was not taken. I discovered the only Underground Railroad Station in San Francisco - but as the game had grown it would have become even more of a problem. I understand why they are no longer part of this game, but every once in a while I pass a place and think "Dadgummed, that would have been a locationless."

As Keystone suggested, trips can be the best shot at a webcam. Still, it pays to do some research. We are planning an upcoming trip. I looked at three webcams last night; the best location for the first will be closed ; the second has been down for almost a year and everyone logging it has posted selfies (that does not seem right and I don't think I could convince my noncaching spouse to make a special trip there); the third is up and working, a little detour, but if we have time . . .

Edited by geodarts

I enjoyed locationless back in the day, but they were different than Waymarking. Generally, a location could be logged only once, so those of us who got started even a little late had to do a lot of research to find a place that was not taken.

This is the case with Waymarking, too. Any duplicate Waymarks are most likely an error and are definitely not the norm.

I once Waymarked a Provincial Park, not realizing that it had already been Waymarked by someone else using coordinates in a different part of the park. The automated proximity-checker didn't catch it because the existing Waymark was over a kilometre away. When I realized that mine was a duplicate, I archived it.

I'm an oldster when it comes to caching and I actually am a waymarker because of locationless caches - I was able to get 8 of them. My first waymark was of Tom Custer, brother of George Custer who is buried at Ft. Leavenworth National Cemetery not too far from where I live. Tom Custer is a rare double Medal of Honor awardee who was killed alongside his brother at Little Bighorn River. Because I had marked Tom Custer under the locationless cache - I had everything to mark the waymark. It's amazing though, how much better I am writing up waymarks since '07 - I guess writing up 3200 of these helps and having great mentors!

Newer cachers did not have this experience with the locationless and I think that this has a lot to do with the poo-pooing of Waymarking. That, and it can be ALOT of work to write these up. It's so much easier to drive up to a LPC, open a magnetic keyholder and write TFTC!. (I still geocache, for the record...) I love to find the grave sites of famous people, especially ones involved in the Kansas-Missouri border struggles. It gives insight to people, especially back east, who think that the Civil War battles stopped at the Mississippi River. </off soapbox> :laughing: