Basic Member & premium caches

diff*****

Hello!

I just want to know if I can log premium caches being a basic member. I know if a premium member gives me the link to the log page of a premium cache I'm able to log it. Is this a bug and when you fix it I'll lose my log or not?

This is an example of how you can log a premium cache being a basic member:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?ID=3892041&lcn=1

This link will lead you to a premium cache which I can't access via this link http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1c9b5126-dd92-4851-98ec-17313ed9eb7e

So, I can't have access to a cache that I can log? :) Maybe this is a bug! :(

Thank you for your help

Yes it is a bug. Yes they know about it, and yes they intentionally leaft the bug there. But the again that means it's not a bug anymore does it? Anyway, no they won't stop you, and no your find won't be taken away.

I see they have modified the description of Premium Caches on the Premium Features page. There was an instances a few years ago when a basic member had their log deleted. Intially Groundspeak reinstated the log, but then they reversed the decision and deleted it again. The premium cache owner was able to claim that the premium membership feature page said that premium caches could be found exclusively by premium members. The wording has been changed to say that premium caches "are only visible on our apps and website to Geocaching Premium Members", and no longer promises that only Premium Members can find or log these caches.

I suspect that some premium cache owners may still delete finds from basic memebers, but that now Groundspeak will reinstate these finds.

I see they have modified the description of Premium Caches on the Premium Features page. There was an instances a few years ago when a basic member had their log deleted. Intially Groundspeak reinstated the log, but then they reversed the decision and deleted it again. The premium cache owner was able to claim that the premium membership feature page said that premium caches could be found exclusively by premium members. The wording has been changed to say that premium caches "are only visible on our apps and website to Geocaching Premium Members", and no longer promises that only Premium Members can find or log these caches.

It is interesting - the wording. The fact they are still called Premium Member *ONLY* caches still tends to suggest, at least from a selling premium member subscriptions point of view, that they are exclusive and restricted entirely and not just a matter of visibility on the map/search. (I don't care, personally)

Yes it is a bug. Yes they know about it, and yes they intentionally leaft the bug there. But the again that means it's not a bug anymore does it? Anyway, no they won't stop you, and no your find won't be taken away.

I suspect that some premium cache owners may still delete finds from basic memebers, but that now Groundspeak will reinstate these finds.

I remember that, but never noticed anything about the wording...

It's not a bug, it's a "feature" ?

Seriously, Grouspeak knows about the "backdoor" method and have chosen to leave it accessible. There are lots of new Basic members who are out there having their first Geocaching experiences with more seasoned Premium membership friends....it's only fair they should be allowed to log the caches they found while they were out with someone else.