New Category

I've been Waymarking for almost two years and have racked up a number of visits and posted waymarks. But they've all been to existing categories. I've never (yet) gone through making of a new category. I read the How To information from Groundspeak, but it still leaves me with a few questions.

If a category goes through peer review and no one votes it in (though no one voted against it), is the category completely gone? If the group decides to try again with a better description, do they have to create the category all over? Or is the old category still out there somewhere waiting to be edited and tried again?

Like I say, I can't find answers to the above in the help pages on Waymarking.

Well, my question isn't why did it pass or not. My question is, what happens to it if it doesn't pass? Does it go into oblivion? Or is it just not accessible to most folks (maybe to just the Leader)?

Reason I ask is that a category just went through peer review and, as far as I know, no one but the officers voted for it. It didn't make it through. But now I'd like to look at the category to see if it can be spruced up and retried some day in the future. But I cannot even find the category at all. Did it vaporize?

Reason I ask is that a category just went through peer review and, as far as I know, no one but the officers voted for it. It didn't make it through. But now I'd like to look at the category to see if it can be spruced up and retried some day in the future. But I cannot even find the category at all. Did it vaporize?

I suspect it still exists, but is only visible to the officers, analogous to Waymarks you've created but haven't submitted for review. To the general public it's as if it doesn't exist, but it's still there somewhere, just with a restricted viewing audience.

Well, my question isn't why did it pass or not. My question is, what happens to it if it doesn't pass? Does it go into oblivion? Or is it just not accessible to most folks (maybe to just the Leader)?

I was just responding to what I did know, which isn't much! :rolleyes:

If you are referring to the DAR/SAR category that recently was up for peer review: it "went away" from peer review because the number of officers dropped below 3. I really liked that category idea, and I hope it will be discussed again.

Update: the DAR and SAR category IS visible by all! You can find it next to the group page (page 13).

Edited by Max and 99

I suspect it still exists, but is only visible to the officers, analogous to Waymarks you've created but haven't submitted for review. To the general public it's as if it doesn't exist, but it's still there somewhere, just with a restricted viewing audience.

A couple of years ago, there was a forum discussion on google searches that resulted in waymarks. I was livid to read that even my unfinished waymarks, full of gobbleygook, could be viewed by the public! I don't like that one bit. I tried finding the thread so I could show you, but was unsuccessful.

I didn't mention it, but I am a group officer, but even I cannot see the category. Nope, it wasn't DAR/SAR, whatever that is. It was the "forgotten places" (which should really be Forgotten Places). It didn't get enough YES votes; but it seems to have disappeared entirely. I didn't keep a direct link to it at the time, 'cause I used to be able to get to it through other routes. Oh well. I guess the category itself became a forgotten place!!

Larabee: "Thanks Max and 99"

Guess I didn't have the patience to wade down through the list. Also, one of the other officers thought that it had gotten deleted; so now I know better.

I won't go into the whys and wherefores on its failure in this topic. I just wanted to clear up my own confusion as to the technical mechanics of a failed category.

I'm satisfied, and this particular topic can be closed. Thanks all.

Once a category goes to peer review the vote is open for three days. There is not a chance that there would be zero votes. I believe Groundspeak is looking for 2/3 positive votes. In any case, after the vote closes it receives a final review before it is activated and goes live.

Once a category is sent to peer review it is locked for editing. IF the category fails to pass, then it reverts back to its previous state, open for editing and can be sent for peer review again.

If a category idea has been discussed in the forums with a generally favorable response and if it is written well, it has a good chance of passing. Those that do fail tend to be poorly conceived categories that were never brought to the forums, or just poorly constructed and written -- sometimes both.

It is still not that uncommon for a category to fail peer review and subsequently revised, resubmitted and passed.

There are some flaws in the system, but it has served is well, with a few exceptions. One of the greatest weaknesses is that anyone with a Groundspeak premium membership can vote. This sometimes has resulting in stacking the vote with geocaching buddies who know nothing about Waymarking, or people who just seem to hang around and show up only for peer reviews. Even sock puppets can vote and be officers in a category! It does happen.

Anyway, if you have a new category idea, I hope you will bring it to the forums and see it thought to the light of day.