How many knew about downstairs at Block Party 2014

Frozen Buns

While looking at the pictures I am amazed at the size of the crowds shown upstairs compared to "Downstairs". I met cachers at the Sunday Tunnel of Light cache who did not realize there were more booths and food trucks downstairs.

I know there was a map as part of the Lanyard but I wonder how many looked at it before they returned home. If you did not know what would be your suggestion for letting attendees know?

If you did know, did you go down and look around?

Just looking for feedback so every year as the event expands its location footprint everyone gets to enjoy all of the activities, booths, food and area.

I am so sad to read that there were people who missed out on "downstairs," as you called it. (Made me smile!) The vendor/food court area was GREAT, and it was one of my first stops of the morning after the opening ceremonies.

In addition to the maps that were part of the cool nametag lanyards, there was also a big (4x8 foot) map up on the plaza. And, anyone who ventured down the steps to the big line of porta-potties would have noticed the vendor area, as would anyone who visited the lab cache venues or the HQ GeoTour cache down in the same area.

Maybe they could have posted a tall signpost, like the one that said "Welcome" near the registration tent, that would have directed more people down the steps. A simple sign label like "FOOD AND VENDORS" may have helped the people who didn't read their materials. That's good feedback for next year.

There will always be clueless people. And not much can be done about the worst of them. I used to help with a yearly bike ride, one of the things I did was put out the road markings (known as "Dan Henry's"). Every year there were people who complained that there weren't any markings. Talking with others that road marked for other rides, we figured that 10 foot diameter, bright orange marks would still be missed. So while more signs would help some, there will be those who will never know about 'downstairs'. :(

Some of the labs were placed on the lower level, too, so those who missed that area were disengaged from multiple means of directing them down there.

I agree, I was amazed when I heard them saying that they didn't know. I know they were from Canada so maybe English is difficult for them. The downstairs traffic was a lot better than last year but not near as busy as the pictures of upstairs.

The Groundspeak store and Kids activities were great and though I saw the pictures of registration lines were long I heard they moved fast. Already looking forward to next year. :)