Moving Block Party?

BBWolf+3Pigs

Breaking off from another thread.

It would nice to be able to attend a Block Party without having to fly cross country.

You may have missed my post #10 - the sole distinguishing feature about the Block Party cache type vs. a regular event or mega-event is that it's Groundspeak hosting a party on their block. They literally close down some streets behind their office building, and use the plaza directly outside their office building. The uniqueness of the event is the ability to hear presentations from Lackeys who work in the building, buy merchandise directly from the team that handles Shop Geocaching order fulfillment, experience lab caches set up by the creative team, etc. Most important, you get to run into Lackeys all day long as they wander around talking to geocachers. They are hosting a party at "their place." The party is pretty much mandatory for all employees, from the mobile app developers to the marketing team to the customer service representatives. It is unlike any other event, which is why it has its own icon. You can't just pick it up and transplant it to Boston or Bonn, unless Groundspeak chose to open an office in those cities. Without the Groundspeak office, it's just an Event Cache, size "Mega."

Yes, I know what the current "Block Party" is.

But why couldn't GS find another block in which to host a party?

Bring out Lackeys with their presentations, and volunteer reviewers, and trot out lab caches, and have a booth to sell merchandise?

Maybe not as full blown as one right outside their offices, but something?

It would nice to be able to attend a Block Party without having to fly cross country.

You may have missed my post #10 - the sole distinguishing feature about the Block Party cache type vs. a regular event or mega-event is that it's Groundspeak hosting a party on their block. They literally close down some streets behind their office building, and use the plaza directly outside their office building. The uniqueness of the event is the ability to hear presentations from Lackeys who work in the building, buy merchandise directly from the team that handles Shop Geocaching order fulfillment, experience lab caches set up by the creative team, etc. Most important, you get to run into Lackeys all day long as they wander around talking to geocachers. They are hosting a party at "their place." The party is pretty much mandatory for all employees, from the mobile app developers to the marketing team to the customer service representatives. It is unlike any other event, which is why it has its own icon. You can't just pick it up and transplant it to Boston or Bonn, unless Groundspeak chose to open an office in those cities. Without the Groundspeak office, it's just an Event Cache, size "Mega."

Bring out Lackeys with their presentations, and volunteer reviewers, and trot out lab caches, and have a booth to sell merchandise?

I vote for Munich.

I should have scrolled down the topic list because I just posted an almost identical suggestion in that other thread. Hopefully this new thread will lead to some useful discussion and not just some snarky responses...

I think I'll post an event to be held in the park across the street (which is bigger than the courtyard next to HQ) with the title "Geocaching Block Party".

The Block Party being in its present location is one of the things that makes it special. Just like a challenging cache, if you want to attend, then you may have to work for it. I would love to attend the Block Party one of these years and if i ever get to, the trip to it will be part of the fun memories.

If Groundspeak's HQ ever moves, then the block can move with it.

The Block Party being in its present location is one of the things that makes it special. Just like a challenging cache,

Have you ever been central park in NYC (where one of the original APE caches was located)?

Just like a challenging cache, if you want to attend, then you may have to work for it.

There's no "may" about it. If someone living in Europe, South America, Asia, Australia or Africa wants to attend, the amount of "work" involved will be measured in $1000 or more. At it's present location, those that live in Seattle, could attend with a $2.50 all day bus pass.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

Have no problem with Europe getting a Giga event, an icon folks in the USA may never get (without making the expensive trip), but I see nothing wrong with the block party referring to GS's block. Its a nice block and the location works. If they want to create a new icon for a traveling block party, am all for it too.

Will keep hoping for a Giga somewhere in USA/Canada but not holding my breath any time soon.

Edited by lamoracke

The Block Party being in its present location is one of the things that makes it special. Just like a challenging cache,

Have you ever been central park in NYC (where one of the original APE caches was located)?

Yes, I have been there in pre-geocaching times. But still I think that Groundspeak's block party belongs to the area where Groundspeak has its headquarters.

If someone living in Europe, South America, Asia, Australia or Africa wants to attend, the amount of "work" involved will be measured in $1000 or more. At it's present location, those that live in Seattle, could attend with a $2.50 all day bus pass.

That's true for so many other things in life too. For someone who lives in Rome seeing the pope in person will be easier and cheaper than for someone who lives in a country the pope will never get to visit.

Yes, I have been there in pre-geocaching times. But still I think that Groundspeak's block party belongs to the area where Groundspeak has its headquarters.

This thread isn't about eliminating a block party on Groundspeaks block. It's about have additional block partys in other locations.

If someone living in Europe, South America, Asia, Australia or Africa wants to attend, the amount of "work" involved will be measured in $1000 or more. At it's present location, those that live in Seattle, could attend with a $2.50 all day bus pass.

That's true for so many other things in life too. For someone who lives in Rome seeing the pope in person will be easier and cheaper than for someone who lives in a country the pope will never get to visit.

But I'm not paying money to the Vatican for the pope to make an appearance that I'll never see. I don't know how much GS spends on the block party (but I bet it's not insubstantial) and where do you suppose that money comes from? I suspect at least a portion of it comes from premium membership fees from geocachers for whom a flight across the pond is just not economically feasible.

I am missing the Giga Event icon. No Mega Event in the USA has ever topped 5,000 attendees -- 1,500 to 2,000 is "big."

Therefore, I request that Groundspeak pay to bring over 3,500 Germans on a chartered cruise ship so that a Mega Event near me can "go Giga."

If you log 3000 "attended" entries on that Mega, wouldn't that give it Giga status? :ph34r:

A block party should be wherever Groundspeak office is located. It makes as much sense for them to have a block party in New York, when there's no GS office there, as it does for me to hold my block party across the town from where I live.

That doesn't mean they can't organize an event there, but it won't be the block party with its special icon. Which is what makes it so desirable, I guess?

What next, they should dig up the Original Stash Tribute and have it travel around the world so that more people can log it and get the souvenir?

Edited by Chrysalides

But I'm not paying money to the Vatican for the pope to make an appearance that I'll never see. I don't know how much GS spends on the block party (but I bet it's not insubstantial) and where do you suppose that money comes from? I suspect at least a portion of it comes from premium membership fees from geocachers for whom a flight across the pond is just not economically feasible.

This brings up a good point. Personally, if this were a democratic process, I'd vote for not holding the Block Party at all and using that money to hire more developers. Apparently they don't have enough developers to even do adequate testing of the changes they do make, let alone modernize the system or add new functionality.

I am missing the Giga Event icon. No Mega Event in the USA has ever topped 5,000 attendees -- 1,500 to 2,000 is "big."

Therefore, I request that Groundspeak pay to bring over 3,500 Germans on a chartered cruise ship so that a Mega Event near me can "go Giga."

Doesn't Groundspeak already have a fleet of private jets, black helicopters, and submarines that could accomplish this?

Apart from that, I can see where a block party refers to the GS block. Since many people will never have a complete set of icons unless they were catching in the days when locationless caches were a part of this game or attended the lost and found event at HQ, I am not sure that I see a pressing need to make the block party a traveling show just to spread the icon around. There might be other priorities I would consider more important.

If Groundspeak chose to participate in other block parties that featured management and lackeys, it might be appropriate to follow the "lost and found" model and have both a Groundspeak event at HQ with its own icon, and other block party events with separate designations.

Edited by geodarts

A block party should be wherever Groundspeak office is located. It makes as much sense for them to have a block party in New York, when there's no GS office there, as it does for me to hold my block party across the town from where I live.

That doesn't mean they can't organize an event there, but it won't be the block party with its special icon. Which is what makes it so desirable, I guess?

What next, they should dig up the Original Stash Tribute and have it travel around the world so that more people can log it and get the souvenir?

Once again, this thread is not about "A" block party. It's about additional block parties. If you find the term "block" objectionable for anyplace other than the block where HQ is located, call it something else. Call it a Lackey's Party or Groundspeak Party.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

If Groundspeak chose to participate in other block parties that featured management and lackeys, it might be appropriate to follow the "lost and found" model and have both a Groundspeak event at HQ with its own icon, and other block party events with separate designations.

2010, the year of "Lost and Found" events, marked the beginning of a stepped-up effort to have Lackeys present at events. There appears to be a strong focus on trying to have at least one Lackey attend every "major" Mega-Event. I heard there were five or so at the Giga-Event, including one Lackey fluent in German who was VERY popular that weekend. Such trips are likely a part of the corporate budget because they pay great dividends in good community relations and user feedback. Read the "attended" logs on a Mega-Event and it's pretty much guaranteed that multiple attendees will mention "meeting Lackey ______" as a highlight of the event. But it's more than a budget line item. At a recent "regular" Mega I attended, a Lackey flew across the country on his own dime just because he loves the event so much. Those Lackeys do get around, and they love to travel!

I mention this because, if one has never attended a Mega-Event, they might not be aware of this ongoing effort. Since Lackeys are present at Mega-Events (and some regular events) worldwide, I'm not sure that any additional designation is needed for such an event. I think the "10 Years" idea was a one-time thing. That said, who knows what's in store for next year's fifteenth anniversary?!?!

Once again, this thread is not about "A" block party. It's about additional block parties. If you find the term "block" objectionable for anyplace other than the block where HQ is located, call it something else. Call it a Lackey's Party or Groundspeak Party.

So all you're asking for is a Groundspeak organized event near you? Without a special icon?

+1

And i just saw another thread where someone wants GS to re-enable the Ape cache in Washington. Easy icons, easy souvenirs, and easy smilies,,, seems many think they're somehow automatically entitled to get em all these days. :blink:

This thread isn't about eliminating a block party on Groundspeaks block. It's about have additional block partys in other locations.

I still think that the resulting events will not be like the block party and so it would not make sense to have the same icon for it.

For members of the Catholic church it might be different than for you. It was just the first example that popped up my head.

As Groundspeak is regarded, they invest money also to send staff to large events around the world.

This pleases a lot of the attendants of such events (as has been stated before in this thread) while cachers who are against these large events (like myself) find it objectionable from their personal point of view to spend money on this.

I do not think that the experience of the block party can be transfered to any other place. They could award the same icon and send a greater number of lackeys away, but they could not possibly send away the whole staff and still you would not meet them in their own area. So even if Groundspeak organized a event somewhere else, it would be way different and the block party icon would not be appropriate in my opinion.

I will never understand how it can have happened that something like icons, souvenirs and numbers have become so much more important than that what I thought geocaching was about when I started in 2002.

Cezanne

So all you're asking for is a Groundspeak organized event near you? Without a special icon?

No, I"m not asking GS to organize an event near me. I'm asking for them to consider sponsoring and attending block party like events in locations other than just Seattle. The difference is that the first would be asking or something the benefits me while the second is asking for a benefit to become more equitable to everyone. And, yes, if GS were to create something like a Groundspeak Party in different places, I think a special icon would be justified.

I'm asking for them to consider sponsoring and attending block party like events in locations other than just Seattle.

Block party like events outside of Seattle are a contradiction in itself from my point of view.

You could have Groundspeak organized events outside of Seattle, but I would not refer to them block party like.

As sponsoring events and sending lackeys is regarded, this is already done.

And, yes, if GS were to create something like a Groundspeak Party in different places, I think a special icon would be justified.

Sponsoring an event and sending some lackeys to an event does not turn it into something equivalent to the block party. This has meanwhile

become the standard for really large events anyway. Duplicating the block party somewhere else is like moving the Headquarter cache

around the world, but even less doable.

It makes much more sense to have local organizers for a event and also have activities like lab caches developped by locals who know the area well.

Except for the icon there would be absolutely no value of what you ask for in comparison to the current state of affairs.

Cezanne

It would be much cheaper to bring in 100 or so NE Ohioans to provide you with 8,067 attended logs. Throw about 150 "caches" 200 feet apart into the deal, and I'm sure they're in. :ph34r:

You know, I'm really OK with the block party always being at HQ. Makes it "special" as others have said.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I'm asking for them to consider sponsoring and attending block party like events in locations other than just Seattle.

Block party like events outside of Seattle are a contradiction in itself from my point of view.

You could have Groundspeak organized events outside of Seattle, but I would not refer to them block party like.

As sponsoring events and sending lackeys is regarded, this is already done.

As I said, I'm not stuck on the word block party. What events, other than the block party does GS sponsor? I know that they'll send some swag for auctions for events (even relatively small events) but even for Mega events and Geowoodstock events all of the planning, hosting, and all other associated costs of holding the event is handled by those hosting the event.

Except for the icon there would be absolutely no value of what you ask for in comparison to the current state of affairs.

Cezanne

When I mentioned the icon I wasn't suggesting the these other events would get the same icon. Since some seem to be caught up with the significance (or lack of) the unique icon, I'll suggest that if something like a Groundspeak Party icon wouldn't be necessary. But I'll also suggest that those attend the blockparty in Seattle shouldn't get a special icon either. I'm not asking for special treatment. I'm asking for equity.

What events, other than the block party does GS sponsor? I know that they'll send some swag for auctions for events (even relatively small events) but even for Mega events and Geowoodstock events all of the planning, hosting, and all other associated costs of holding the event is handled by those hosting the event.

Apparently sponsoring means something different to you than to me. If Coca Cola is sponsor of an event, I do not expect them to take part in the organization.

The same is true with respect to sending representatives.

As I said before, I think that the organization is something that is best done on a local level.

When I mentioned the icon I wasn't suggesting the these other events would get the same icon. Since some seem to be caught up with the significance (or lack of) the unique icon, I'll suggest that if something like a Groundspeak Party icon wouldn't be necessary. But I'll also suggest that those attend the blockparty in Seattle shouldn't get a special icon either. I'm not asking for special treatment. I'm asking for equity.

None of the icons is really necessary. I do not have an issue with the fact that there is a special icon for visiting the event held at the headquarter of the company that owns this site.

As lackeys are typically sent to giga and mega events and these are also the events for which lab caches are available, I'd say that there exists already a special icon for such events in some sense.

What except for another icon are you expecting from the type of events you ask for?

No, I"m not asking GS to organize an event near me. I'm asking for them to consider sponsoring and attending block party like events in locations other than just Seattle.

That pretty much describes GeoWoodstock, doesn't it?

I believe the Block Party icon should remain reserved for the event held annually at their headquarters. Whether or not they could create "block party type events" in different places and whether or not those events should have a different icon? I'm not sure. In general, I default to not adding an icon unless there is something that makes it truly unique -- I'm not sure what would make these block party type events different enough to have anything other than the basic Event/Mega icon.

No, I"m not asking GS to organize an event near me. I'm asking for them to consider sponsoring and attending block party like events in locations other than just Seattle.

Doesn't that describe pretty much any Mega/Giga?

I haven't been to a Block Party yet, so I can't know for sure, but isn't it like a Mega? To me, the whole "Block Party" part of it is expressly because it's held at GSHQ and has most of the staff there. Once you take that away, which would be the case if it was held elsewhere, isn't it essentially just a Mega?

Basically, I'm wondering what differentiates the Block Party from a Mega. What is it, besides being held at GSHQ, that makes it so different that people want the same experience in other parts of the world?

I haven't been to a Block Party yet, so I can't know for sure, but isn't it like a Mega? To me, the whole "Block Party" part of it is expressly because it's held at GSHQ and has most of the staff there. Once you take that away, which would be the case if it was held elsewhere, isn't it essentially just a Mega?

Basically, I'm wondering what differentiates the Block Party from a Mega. What is it, besides being held at GSHQ, that makes it so different that people want the same experience in other parts of the world?

Yes, you're right, without the Lackeys it's just another Mega.

See my summary that was quoted in the opening post. I've been to two Block Parties plus the HQ "10 Years" event that was very similar. I've also been to seven Mega-Events. So, I feel qualified to describe the differences.

Block Party truly is different because of seeing 50 or 60 Lackeys during the course of the day. They're shaking hands and posing for pictures (Jeremy, Bryan, Signal the Frog), or they're presenting seminars (Moun10Bike on geocoin history, Ben&Jayme on Geocaching 101), or they're hosting the film festival (ScatterMyCaches, reidsomething), or they're selling official merchandise, or they're setting up and running the kids' activities and the interactive lab caches, or they're conducting tours of Geocaching HQ. You would need to transport dozens of Lackeys to make it feel like Block Party in a different location, and you'd need to hire even more professional event staff to make up for the lower numbers of "free" Lackey laborers to put on all the special activities.

A well-run Mega Event also has lab caches, kids' events, vendor booths, food, etc., but all those things are coordinated by the event organizer group. Block Party is different because it's all hosted by Geocaching HQ staff. Asking them to do this in a distant city is a real stretch for both the human effort and the financial budget. I'd rather they send four people to the Munich Giga, two people to GeoWoodstock, one person to the ASP GeoBash, two people to GeocoinFest, etc., as they've been doing.

If the goal is "I want to meet Lackeys but can't afford flying to Seattle for Block Party unless my employer pays for it," then there are plenty of opportunities at a Mega Event closer to home. If the goal is, "I want this special icon without flying to Seattle, and if I can't have it, then nobody else should either" then that is a different thread title.

Edited by The Leprechauns

This is just my perception, but I get the impression that the level of "sponsorship" or support is significantly higher for the block party. They do all the planning, hosting, funding (I don't know if any of their partners contribute though), acquisition of the location where it's hosted, and marketing of the event. Basically every aspect of the event is managed by GS. Mega and Giga events are pretty much exclusively planned, funded, and supported by geocachers. The site is selected by those that host it. GeoWoodstock isn't much different. GS doesn't even dictate where the next GeoWoodstock will held or who will do all the work involved with putting on the event. GS will include these events on notifications but that is about the extent of the marketing done. It's great that they have funds in their budget to send out a few lackeys to some of the more significant events, but I suspect that the process for doing that only happens once the event is published and much of the initial planning has been done. I think the difference between the block party and Mega/Giga/Geowoodstock event goes far beyond just the location.

I'm going to be realistic and acknowledge nothing similar to the Block Party will ever occur anywhere else. There is way too much resistance to the idea and there doesn't even seem even a glimmer of hope that GS will even consider any form of compromise.

Forget about the icons and the souvenirs. What it boils down to for me is a perception to a commitment for public outreach. Yes, they'll send a few token lackeys to selected major events but my perception is that the only real significant investment they have is the block party where the definition of public "outreach" is that you'll have to come to Seattle if you want to shake our hands. Sending a few lackeys to major events is a good start, but that limits outreach to areas which have a geocacher population of size large enough to qualify for mega event status. In other words, the outreach is targeted to areas that already have a vibrant geocaching community. As I see it, very little outreach and development of features heavily marketed is done for those that don't have the luxury of living in cache environments with mature vibrant communities. It's be curious to see a global heat map of where geocachers which obtained the achiever souvenir or those that had a 31 day streak in August last year. I suspect that you won't see too many hotspots in central/south America, most of Asia and pretty much all of Africa with the exception of the large population centers in South Africa.

I asked the question earlier but didn't get a response, but I as serious. For a company that sells a product globally, why *don't* they have regional offices. The fact that the only place in the world which qualified for a Giga event tells me that the European community is extremely large, yet there isn't a regional office in Europe.

While we may get lip service about wanting to improve public outreach, just as the response we get from feature requests on the website forum to three year old threads, it comes across as having all the sincerity as a "your business is important to us" welcome message on a cable service providers automated phone tree.

I asked the question earlier but didn't get a response, but I as serious. For a company that sells a product globally, why *don't* they have regional offices. The fact that the only place in the world which qualified for a Giga event tells me that the European community is extremely large, yet there isn't a regional office in Europe.

As a company that sells (mainly) a service over the Internet, why would they need to have regional offices? As for physical products from their store, it's an extremely small scale compared to most retailers, is only web based, and only ships to the United States, so again, why is there a need for regional offices?

As a company that sells (mainly) a service over the Internet, why would they need to have regional offices? As for physical products from their store, it's an extremely small scale compared to most retailers, is only web based, and only ships to the United States, so again, why is there a need for regional offices?

I work with a partner company in South Africa that has less than 1/4 number of employees as GS, sells online training services, and has three regional offices in other countries in Africa, one in Latin America, and one in India. They're only staffed by 1-2 people but they provide local support and outreach for the institutions in the 80+ countries outside of South Africa. As the developer of a product for which they provide support I'll be traveling to Africa in November to visit several institutions in a couple of countries to provide additional support and outreach.

If the goal is "I want to meet Lackeys but can't afford flying to Seattle for Block Party unless my employer pays for it," then there are plenty of opportunities at a Mega Event closer to home. If the goal is, "I want this special icon without flying to Seattle, and if I can't have it, then nobody else should either" then that is a different thread title.

I have a feeling this is what some are going for here. That icon is very important so they think GS should host a non-block party close to them so they can get it.

I have a feeling this is what some are going for here. That icon is very important so they think GS should host a non-block party close to them so they can get it.

That's pure speculation, as nobody in this thread has claimed that it's the icon they're after. If you don't think the icon is important either than you shouldn't object to eliminating the block party icon.

This is just my perception, but I get the impression that the level of "sponsorship" or support is significantly higher for the block party. They do all the planning, hosting, funding (I don't know if any of their partners contribute though), acquisition of the location where it's hosted, and marketing of the event. Basically every aspect of the event is managed by GS.

That's normal when someone organizes an event. As has been said before, it makes sense to organize events on a local basis and not several 100km away.

Forget about the icons and the souvenirs. What it boils down to for me is a perception to a commitment for public outreach. Yes, they'll send a few token lackeys to selected major events but my perception is that the only real significant investment they have is the block party where the definition of public "outreach" is that you'll have to come to Seattle if you want to shake our hands. Sending a few lackeys to major events is a good start, but that limits outreach to areas which have a geocacher population of size large enough to qualify for mega event status. In other words, the outreach is targeted to areas that already have a vibrant geocaching community.

I started to geocache 12 years ago when there existed less than 50 caches in the whole country. The option to meet lackeys and to attend large events would not have been attractive to anyone from the local community back then.

As I see it, very little outreach and development of features heavily marketed is done for those that don't have the luxury of living in cache environments with mature vibrant communities. It's be curious to see a global heat map of where geocachers which obtained the achiever souvenir or those that had a 31 day streak in August last year. I suspect that you won't see too many hotspots in central/south America, most of Asia and pretty much all of Africa with the exception of the large population centers in South Africa.

I guess you are right as the numbers are concerned, but what's bad about that? Do you really think that it's Groundspeak's marketing activities that improve the experiences of small geocaching communities?

I'd regard it as a waste of money for Groundspeak to have regional offices. Your example with Africa is not comparable to an activity like geocaching in my opinion.

Groundspeak neither hides caches nor do they train cachers like a training company takes care of training people for their job.

Cezanne

I work with a partner company in South Africa that has less than 1/4 number of employees as GS, sells online training services, and has three regional offices in other countries in Africa, one in Latin America, and one in India. They're only staffed by 1-2 people but they provide local support and outreach for the institutions in the 80+ countries outside of South Africa. As the developer of a product for which they provide support I'll be traveling to Africa in November to visit several institutions in a couple of countries to provide additional support and outreach.

Would you say there is a big difference between the service they provide, and the service that Groundspeak provides? For example, do their customers pay (an optional) $30 a year and use their service mainly for fun?

If you don't think the icon is important either than you shouldn't object to eliminating the block party icon.

It does not mean that I should support the elimination of the block party icon either.

I don't think it is important enough for me to get the icon that I will request for Groundspeak to move their block party to a neighborhood more convenient for me to attend.

Edited by Chrysalides

What it boils down to for me is a perception to a commitment for public outreach. Yes, they'll send a few token lackeys to selected major events but my perception is that the only real significant investment they have is the block party where the definition of public "outreach" is that you'll have to come to Seattle if you want to shake our hands. Sending a few lackeys to major events is a good start, but that limits outreach to areas which have a geocacher population of size large enough to qualify for mega event status. In other words, the outreach is targeted to areas that already have a vibrant geocaching community. As I see it, very little outreach and development of features heavily marketed is done for those that don't have the luxury of living in cache environments with mature vibrant communities.

Personally, I'd be vehemently opposed to any significant investment in sending anything more than token Lackeys around the world. If I heard that some Lackeys were doing a world tour on the company dime for "outreach", that would instantly convince me to never pay another dime to Groundspeak. I pay my $30/year to help support the website, and it isn't even enough to adequately cover that anymore, let alone pay for (IMO) frivolous travel expenses. As I said in an earlier post, I'd fully support cancelling all future Block Parties if it meant those funds could go toward better website support. I would not support Groundspeak spending large amounts of money to bring what amounts to just another Mega to far-flung* locations in the name of spreading the good word.

</soapbox></ledge>

Hmm, I guess I have a pretty strong opinion about this! :laughing:

*compared to a Block Party at their home, which has minimal to non-existent travel expenses

What it boils down to for me is a perception to a commitment for public outreach. Yes, they'll send a few token lackeys to selected major events but my perception is that the only real significant investment they have is the block party where the definition of public "outreach" is that you'll have to come to Seattle if you want to shake our hands. Sending a few lackeys to major events is a good start, but that limits outreach to areas which have a geocacher population of size large enough to qualify for mega event status.

That's a pretty offensive statement if it were read by the Lackeys who pour their heart and soul into interacting with Geocachers in places like Belgium, Australia, Norway, the Czech Republic, Portugal, and Finland. Oh, and that's all just so far this year, and it doesn't include the Lackey visits to more than a dozen other Mega Events so far this year in the UK, Germany, Canada and around the US.

I know they don't consider themselves "tokens" when interacting with hundreds of geocachers at those distant events. I've watched them reach out enthusiastically and personally at many a Mega Event. Had you bothered to ever attend a Mega Event near you, you could see that in action. Why don't you go to ASP GeoBash, just a bit west of you in the Southern Tier of New York? You could've met Moun10Bike one of the times when he was there. I didn't see you at GeoWoodstock in nearby Warren, PA, but I did enjoy my time that weekend with Lackeys MissJenn and Dani. Instead of visitng the GPS Adventures Maze in nearby Rochester and complaining in your log that there was nobody from Groundspeak present that day, why didn't you wait until the published event two weeks later, where you could have met Groundspeak's Director of Marketing?

Oh, I forgot. You're stuck on having Lackeys visit places like Tanzania. I hope that the Tanzanian geocaching community grows to the point where it makes economic sense to send a Lackey there. If you're lucky, that will coincide with a time when Cornell pays you to travel there as well. In the meantime, the Lackey who will attend the upcoming South African Mega will have to do. I'm sure she won't feel like her trip across the world is "paying lip service." Had she instead been sent to visit Tanzania, there'd likely be a forum thread criticizing the squandering of membership fees on "junkets" to places where there was very little "return on investment."

You're welcome to your personal agenda about countries where geocaching hasn't matured as a hobby, but when someone who's never attended a Block Party or a Mega Event starts labeling good people as "tokens" who are there to "pay lip service," I'm not letting that pass.

Edited by The Leprechauns

My son and I attended our first Block Party this year and had a great time. We enjoyed getting to meet some of the Lackeys and to sightsee around Seattle. The location is what makes this event special. It’s not so much getting the special icon as it is meeting the Groundspeak people in their home town. You get to see how much this game means to the people that work there. Yes, there are plenty of mega events around the world but what makes this one special is that it is at the Lilypad. It just wouldn’t be the same if it were someplace else.

What it boils down to for me is a perception to a commitment for public outreach. Yes, they'll send a few token lackeys to selected major events but my perception is that the only real significant investment they have is the block party where the definition of public "outreach" is that you'll have to come to Seattle if you want to shake our hands. Sending a few lackeys to major events is a good start, but that limits outreach to areas which have a geocacher population of size large enough to qualify for mega event status.

That's a pretty offensive statement if it were read by the Lackeys who pour their heart and soul into interacting with Geocachers in places like Belgium, Australia, Norway, the Czech Republic, Portugal, and Finland. Oh, and that's all just so far this year, and it doesn't include the Lackey visits to more than a dozen other Mega Events so far this year in the UK, Germany, Canada and around the US.

Frankly I've found a lot of your recent posts pretty offensive as well, starting with the snarky response to the OPs attempt to open and idea for discussion, as well as the obvious stalking you've been doing of my profile, reading several year old logs, launching personal attacks against me and my employer, and questioning the fact that my travels take me to developing countries where I'm not going to play a game, but to help solve real third world problems like helping people put food on the table for their families. Of course, as a mere paying member I have to be careful what I say, while you as a moderator probably won't give yourself a time-out for the personal attacks you've just made.

I know they don't consider themselves "tokens" when interacting with hundreds of geocachers at those distant events. I've watched them reach out enthusiastically and personally at many a Mega Event. Had you bothered to ever attend a Mega Event near you, you could see that in action. Why don't you go to ASP GeoBash, just a bit west of you in the Southern Tier of New York? You could've met Moun10Bike one of the times when he was there. I didn't see you at GeoWoodstock in nearby Warren, PA, but I did enjoy my time that weekend with Lackeys MissJenn and Dani. Instead of visitng the GPS Adventures Maze in nearby Rochester and complaining in your log that there was nobody from Groundspeak present that day, why didn't you wait until the published event two weeks later, where you could have met Groundspeak's Director of Marketing?

The mega event in Warren was the only one that was relatively close to me and if I recall I it was just before or overlapping a business trip or traveling someplace out of town with my family. Perhaps some people feel differently, but to me, my family and my work take priority over a silly game. The thing is, I think that he game has degraded so much over the last few years that there isn't much of attraction to travel even a few hundred miles to attend an event, let alone spend several hundreds of dollars to fly 2200 miles for a hobby (and this thread isn't helping) that I'm finding increasing more distasteful.

I met Moun10Bike during my brief visit at Groundspeak HQ. I really don't recall actually criticizing him specifically, and actually think he's probably the most customer responsive lackey of anyone that participates in the forums. I was a bit surprised when he turned around and said, "hey, you're NYPaddleCacher [apparently he recognized me from my profile photo] I thought you hated Seattle. You're not going to hit me are you?" Is that what you mean by "reaching out enthusiastically"? BTW, I met one other lackey while I was there. You know what her first question was? It wasn't "where are you from?" or "how long have you been geocaching", but "this is so-an-so...she has over 24,000 finds, how many do you have?"

I had completely forgot about the GPS Maze, but since you must have recently looked at the log I posted over 5 years ago, I'm surprised, since you obviously recently read my log, that you so grossly misinterpreted what I wrote:

"The people running the desk didn't seem to know much (anything) about geocaching and we didn't see anyone near the maze that was representing Groundspeak."

That wasn't a complaint, but merely a statement of fact. I guess I just had an expectation that someone, other than other geocachers going through the maze, might be there as a representative of the game. I didn't include the rest of my log but I though it would have otherwise come across that I enjoyed the maze. Maybe you haven't noticed but I've responded more than a few times in the forums in the defense of reviewers about the timeliness of the review of publications with the reminder that reviewers have real lives. You'd think that a reviewer might consider the possibility that geocachers have real lives as well, and might have plans with their family on a weekend when someone from GS is going to be two hours away. There may also have been the possibility that I wasn't aware that someone from GS was going to be in Rochester two weeks after I had visited,

Oh, I forgot. You're stuck on having Lackeys visit places like Tanzania. I hope that the Tanzanian geocaching community grows to the point where it makes economic sense to send a Lackey there. If you're lucky, that will coincide with a time when Cornell pays you to travel there as well.

Of course, I didn't actually suggest sending lackeys to Tanzania, but I guess that won't stop you from making references to completely unrelated threads I've in which I've posted in the past. You know, some cachers like doing power trails and racking up 1000 or more finds a day. Some enjoy the FTF game, while others make sure to let us know that the streak they started last August lasted over year. There are also some that enjoy "country collecting" and finding caches in places where there are few caches to be found. How come the "we can all play the game in our own way" meme doesn't extend to those that enjoy that aspect of the game?

BTW, with a metropolis such as Dar es Salaam in Tanzania with nearly 3 million people, one of the fastest growing economies in the world, and only one geocache in the entire, it would seem to me that there might be an opportunity there. If I recall, I even saw a Garmin store the last time I was there.

In the meantime, the Lackey who will attend the upcoming South African Mega will have to do. I'm sure she won't feel like her trip across the world is "paying lip service." Had she instead been sent to visit Tanzania, there'd likely be a forum thread criticizing the squandering of membership fees on "junkets" to places where there was very little "return on investment."

I haven't checked the date of the South African mega but remember when there was some initial discussion. If I recall, it was in Durban, and although I will probably be in Johannesburg for a couple of days in November, and South Africa is a pretty big country, and as cool it would be to attend a mega event in South Africa I doubt that my work schedule will allow for it. I think I might have 1 free day on a 12 day trip that I'm not working or traveling.

Since you mention "return on investment" I wonder if you consider public outreach to be for the benefit of the public or the benefit of a business.

Oh, and the lip service comment was more related to the response we get in the feature suggestions forum about caring what we want, while the actions tell a completely different store. I don't think I need to list all the different feature suggestions that we've been told would be implemented or has been prioritize, and 2 to 3 years later, nothing appears to have been done.

You're welcome to your personal agenda about countries where geocaching hasn't matured as a hobby, but when someone who's never attended a Block Party or a Mega Event starts labeling good people as "tokens" who are there to "pay lip service," I'm not letting that pass.

Look. I get it. You don't like me I'll get over it. Can you?

That's pure speculation, as nobody in this thread has claimed that it's the icon they're after. If you don't think the icon is important either than you shouldn't object to eliminating the block party icon.

True, it is speculation on my part. Still, i'd bet money that the icon is the prize that some of the "move it" people have their eye on.

It wouldn't bother me a bit if Groundspeak did away with the Block Party icon. Joining everyone for the party in Seattle is something i hope to experience one of these years. Seeing the sights and having a great time with fellow cachers would be my goal. Getting an icon wouldn't be. :)

and questioning the fact that my travels take me to developing countries where I'm not going to play a game, but to help solve real third world problems like helping people put food on the table for their families.

It becomes a bit off-topic, but let me just say that I did not understand the posting you refer you in this way.

I do appreciate any effort in helping developing countries. However, I need to admit that your statements about equity in geocaching and that Groundspeak should consider to open offices in regions like Africa and Asia irritated me.

Somehow the way you argue contradicts in my opinion your belief that I share that there are many things in life that are way more important than geocaching. It's unfortunate that so many people on Earth do not have enough to eat while others suffer from affluence. This is really an issue. I do not regard it as an issue however that not everyone can get/afford to travel to Seattle or attend large events at all. When reading your arguments I rather feel that you belittle the serious topics you deal with in your work when applying arguments that I would expect in a discussion about the distribution of wealth and not in a discussion about geocaching/geocaching events. There will never be equity in geocaching, but do you really think that equity is something one should fight for as it comes to geocaching?

Do you really think that such large geocaching events are what countries with almost no caches at all need in their development? I have no issues at all with the fact that you like to collect a cache in every new country you travel to and that you try to optimize your travel itineries along these lines if possible. SOme of your statements in this thread however are pretty exxagerated in my opinion.

I'm very critical about Groundspeak and personally I would prefer if they never ever had created mega events (and even less giga events) and I also would prefer that they did not spend money at all to send lackeys around. I need to acknockledge however that I'm belonging to a minority and that the majority of attendants of such large events is very happy if they can meet representatives from Groundspeak.

I share your opinion that geocaching has developped to the negative within the last years. The gigantism and number orientation has contributed to this in my personal opinion. I'm really astonished that you apparently think that having large Groundspeak organized events worldwide would be a step forward.

Cezanne

I vote for Munich.

Rotate, like the Olympics?

Just throwing my two pence opinion in...

So far I've been to 3 Mega events plus the Block Party. I loved them and plan on going to more. All four so far were very different to each other, but all four were simillar, and each had their own "unique and great" thing about them. My opinion is that I'd say the Block Party is tha joint best of the Mega events I've been to (the other is the UK Halloween Mega). The unique thing about Halloween was the decoration (people caching in costume and spooky caches), and the unique thing about the Block Party was the GCHQ being right there.

You ask that Groundspeak publish "regional Block Parties" for people that can't make it to Seattle. I absolutely agree with you. Luckily for us, they already do that. They are called Mega/Giga events. You ask that they have their own unique icon to differentiate them from normal events. They already have those as well. There's also the GPS Adventure/Maze events too.

We all need to live with the fact that unless you've been caching since 2000 and were very dedicated, you'll never have all the icons or all the souvenirs. The HQ and BP icons/souvenirs are for those willing to travel to Seattle. The Giga icon/souvenir is for those willing to travel to Germany. The APE icon/souvenir is for those willing to travel to Brazil.

Those are all there to commemorate unique experiences. I'm proud of the ones I have. I have a little list of ones I'd like to get, and a much longer list of ones I know I'll never get.

If I had my way, there would be a unique icons all over the place. It's not about completeness, it's about achievement.

I vote for Munich.

Rotate, like the Olympics?

Sounds like a cool idea! But be sure to make it an event where getting together and socializing with others interested in geocaching is the main objective. A special event icon is not neccesary. ;)

Edited by Mudfrog

I met Moun10Bike during my brief visit at Groundspeak HQ. I really don't recall actually criticizing him specifically, and actually think he's probably the most customer responsive lackey of anyone that participates in the forums. I was a bit surprised when he turned around and said, "hey, you're NYPaddleCacher [apparently he recognized me from my profile photo] I thought you hated Seattle. You're not going to hit me are you?" Is that what you mean by "reaching out enthusiastically"?

My apologies. I should have known better than to attempt to inject some levity into a conversation with a known curmudgeon who seems to enjoy interpreting everything in the worst light possible. rolleyes.gif

I met Moun10Bike during my brief visit at Groundspeak HQ. I really don't recall actually criticizing him specifically, and actually think he's probably the most customer responsive lackey of anyone that participates in the forums. I was a bit surprised when he turned around and said, "hey, you're NYPaddleCacher [apparently he recognized me from my profile photo] I thought you hated Seattle. You're not going to hit me are you?" Is that what you mean by "reaching out enthusiastically"?

My apologies. I should have known better than to attempt to inject some levity into a conversation with a known curmudgeon who seems to enjoy interpreting everything in the worst light possible. rolleyes.gif

No worries, I actually took your comment with the levity in which it was intended. To be fair though, we had never met, and it can be sometimes difficult to determine if a comment like that was just a friendly poke from someone you've never met.

"known curmudgeon who seems to enjoy interpreting everything in the worst light possible"....that's a good one. you're funny