TBs Held for More than a Year

shellbadger

I have finished another report on some of my travel bugs. It concerns 152 shellbadger TBs held by 136 different cachers for more than a year. It contains profiles of the cachers holding bugs and the results of sending an email query to each of those cachers. The chief findings are: (1)the vast majority of the bugs are held by short-term cachers and(2)emailing the cachers will not get much of a response. Details are at

http://handsofcachers.weebly.com

Did I need to do it? Absolutely not! But it gives me pleasure to convert the anecdotal "what most people know" to a quantified "what is known." I keep records on my travel bugs and few other people have time and sample size to definitively address some of the questions that arise on this forum. For example, everybody knows bugs are treated better in Europe (move more frequently, last longer)than in the US, but I will soon be able to state how much better. Hey, I am retired, I can't play golf all day, every day.

Did I need to do it? Absolutely not! But it gives me pleasure to convert the anecdotal "what most people know" to a quantified "what is known." I keep records on my travel bugs and few other people have time and sample size to definitively address some of the questions that arise on this forum. For example, everybody knows bugs are treated better in Europe (move more frequently, last longer)than in the US, but I will soon be able to state how much better. Hey, I am retired, I can't play golf all day, every day.

Have you considered a different hobby? Perhaps Geocaching would be fun.

I am not sure you need to do such a detailed study since the results showed what most people kind of knew.

No, sorry, I disagree. I think some of these elements most people probably suspected, at best. And some of the other information probably came as a surprise to most of us. For example, I assumed people would just keep quiet rather than lying about putting a TB back into circulation.

Regardless, I think it's often fun to come up with hard numbers to check on "what most people kind of knew". When he started, for all he knew, what he'd find is that what he kind of knew wasn't actually true.

The truth is I spend way more time on my travel bugs and maintaining my caches than playing golf. But then again, I understand why those activities wouldn't be considered geocaching in the usual sense. It is, however, how I choose to spend my time.

The truth is I spend way more time on my travel bugs and maintaining my caches than playing golf. But then again, I understand why those activities wouldn't be considered geocaching in the usual sense. It is, however, how I choose to spend my time.

It was just a joke. One would assume that since you are playing the travel bug game that you are a geocacher.