Bring pack Mission 9

Roman!

I missed logging the APE cache by a couple of weeks and was saddend when after much discussion the cache was archived, I have a solution that might even turn the APE event into a Giga.

GS has an extra APE container at HQ and with an original container at the original location Mission 9 could live again.

What I suggest is activating and placing the cache just for the Going Ape event in 2015.

This idea has already been discussed with Groundspeak, and declined. As director of the APE event, believe me, I would like to have seen the cache continue, even temporarily, and have discussed various options with them over the past few years. A reactivated Ape cache would benefit Groundspeak as well, in good will and since the Ape event is one of the tent poles for International Geocaching weekend (along with the Block Party).

I agree, we might achieve the first North American giga if the Ape cache were active. However, that's not gonna happen, so no point in beating the horse, it's dead.

However, not having the Ape cache hasn't put the kibosh on the Going APE event. We set a new attendance record this year - 1,440 people (and still counting).

Edited by hydnsek

This idea has already been discussed with Groundspeak, and declined. As director of the APE event, believe me, I would like to have seen the cache continue, even temporarily, and have discussed various options with them over the past few years. A reactivated Ape cache would benefit Groundspeak as well, in good will and since the Ape event is one of the tent poles for International Geocaching weekend (along with the Block Party).

I agree, we might achieve the first North American giga if the Ape cache were active. However, that's not gonna happen, so no point in beating the horse, it's dead.

However, not having the Ape cache hasn't put the kibosh on the Going APE event. We set a new attendance record this year - 1,440 people (and still counting).

GS has been changing their minds and redefining rules for a long time, there is always hope.

I think them stating lab caches are real caches shows a cache can last for one day as well as other fundamentals of geocaching such as online logs not being needed shows rules can be changed to accommodate what GS considers a good idea.

If it would help I'll condemn the idea so GS won't look like they agree with me :lol:

Edited by Roman!

The black helicopters have been all over that area, and I'm afraid the project would be fruitless.

I received an urgent PGP encrypted email today that indicated a Project APE supporter has returned to the Mission #1 cache and restocked it with more clues to alternate evolution.

Hopefully you can get there before the black helicopters do. Good luck.

Jeremy

Why #9. How about one on the East Coast? Spread the joy.

Sure, I'd vote for that too but #9 could turn the block party and going ape event into gigas, it's also the only APE with a souvenir and part of the triad.

Next year will be the 5th APE event, what a great time to do it.

Sure, I'd vote for that too but #9 could turn the block party and going ape event into gigas, it's also the only APE with a souvenir and part of the triad.

And why should the west coast only have a block party. How about spreading the joy to the east coast, Europe, Asia, Australia, and Africa?

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

And why should the west coast only have a block party. How about spreading the joy to the east coast, Europe, Asia, Australia, and Africa?

Ditto.

Understand that GS is in Seattle, but an occasional trip out East (or Central) would be a good thing. And if GS is listening, I have a great place for an East Coast Block Party...let me know and I'll start the ball rolling.

The difference between Project APE caches and the Block Party is that Project APE caches were hidden all around the world, whereas Block Party is location-specific to Geocaching HQ. It would be unfair to Japan -- which had an APE cache that was never found -- if only the Washington APE cache was reinstated. For this reason, I don't forsee an unarchival unless the missing container mysteriously reappears. As for Block Party, if Groundspeak opened a significant branch office in Europe, then that office could host their own Block Party.

So give whichever Mission is brought back the same Souvenir.

I'd like to see it brought back anywhere in North America but Mission 9 is the only location where a mega event is being held and as I suggested it would only be there for 1 day.

And I'm peeved that they did not give a souvenir for Mission 7: Crab Creek.

I'd like to see it brought back anywhere in North America but Mission 9 is the only location where a mega event is being held and as I suggested it would only be there for 1 day.

Why would the Mission 9 cache be more deserving of the extra container than one of the other original planet Ape caches? For example, the Return of the Planet of the Apes cache, in New York is still active even though the original container is gone.

Or how about one of the two original Planet Ape caches in Australia.

I know that GS isn't going to use that extra container, or reinstate any of the original Ape caches, but if they did, and it were up to me I'd replace the one in the U.K. so that all those geocachers in Europe would have a better opportunity to acquire one of those rare icons.

Why would the Mission 9 cache be more deserving of the extra container than one of the other original planet Ape caches? For example, the Return of the Planet of the Apes cache, in New York is still active even though the original container is gone.

Or how about one of the two original Planet Ape caches in Australia.

I know that GS isn't going to use that extra container, or reinstate any of the original Ape caches, but if they did, and it were up to me I'd replace the one in the U.K. so that all those geocachers in Europe would have a better opportunity to acquire one of those rare icons.

Again, my idea was to have it placed just for the going ape event and then taken back to HQ.

Mission 9 makes sense in this case because there is a mega event already scheduled and it would be easy to do. It would also give the opportunity to make the event a Giga.

It also is the only APE cache with the souvenir and part of the triad.

Based on my suggestions mission 9 clearly is the best option.

Edited by Roman!

[Next year will be the 5th APE event, what a great time to do it.

Actually, this year was the 5th-annual APE event (sez so on the shirts and coins), so next year will be the 6th. The first one was in 2010. :)

Hmmm, I always thought 2011 was the first, oh well, 6 is a great number, upside down it 9, or we could do it for the 9th event or the 10th, maybe 9th sounds best.

Though I too would like to see the APE caches returned, it would be as unlikely as returning Virtuals and Webcams.

If I owned GS I'd seriously think about doing it as an event. There are many new cachers that started caching after mission 9 was archived that would love to find it.

There is no excuse why it couldn't be done and it would be an awesome gift to GS customers but I will not hold my breath as I know we are not the priority.

As I understand it, the only part of the experience missing from the current replacement cache is the cache-type icon. If they're going to give away old cache-type icons, then I'd like the Locationless Cache icon, since they were all archived and locked shortly before I started geocaching. And I got the 10 Years! Event Cache icon, but I'm sure there are others who would want to get it. And for some people, it might be a significant journey to the nearest Webcam Cache or the nearest Virtual Cache, so some accommodation should be made for them. Ditto for Lab Caches and the GPS Adventures Maze Exhibit. And someone already mentioned the Geocaching HQ Geocache icon.

Heck, while you're at it, why not help folks get the other icons, from Traditional to Wherigo™?

As I understand it, the only part of the experience missing from the current replacement cache is the cache-type icon. If they're going to give away old cache-type icons, then I'd like the Locationless Cache icon, since they were all archived and locked shortly before I started geocaching. And I got the 10 Years! Event Cache icon, but I'm sure there are others who would want to get it. And for some people, it might be a significant journey to the nearest Webcam Cache or the nearest Virtual Cache, so some accommodation should be made for them. Ditto for Lab Caches and the GPS Adventures Maze Exhibit. And someone already mentioned the Geocaching HQ Geocache icon.

Heck, while you're at it, why not help folks get the other icons, from Traditional to Wherigo™?

The cache was archived because the container went missing, GS has a legitimate replacement container, I. Not sure what you are suggesting but it has nothing to do with my suggestion.

Methinks you are arguing with me for the sake of arguing with me.

The cache was archived because the container went missing, GS has a legitimate replacement container, I. Not sure what you are suggesting but it has nothing to do with my suggestion.

Actually, Mission 9 APE cache had a few other unique things besides the container, including parts of the movie script and some rare coins attached to the lid. The current tribute cache doesn't (and can't) replicate the full experience of the original APE cache.

Actually, Mission 9 APE cache had a few other unique things besides the container, including parts of the movie script and some rare coins attached to the lid. The current tribute cache doesn't (and can't) replicate the full experience of the original APE cache.

Then done, I agree it can't be replaced. Thanks for the clarification.

Again, my idea was to have it placed just for the going ape event and then taken back to HQ.

Mission 9 makes sense in this case because there is a mega event already scheduled and it would be easy to do. It would also give the opportunity to make the event a Giga.

So only make it re-avaialble to those people who are willing to travel to Seattle during a limited time period. That sounds fair.

I missed logging the APE cache by a couple of weeks and was saddend when after much discussion the cache was archived, I have a solution that might even turn the APE event into a Giga.

GS has an extra APE container at HQ and with an original container at the original location Mission 9 could live again.

What I suggest is activating and placing the cache just for the Going Ape event in 2015.

Maybe you should start an online petition to show GS the amount of support this has!

So only make it re-avaialble to those people who are willing to travel to Seattle during a limited time period. That sounds fair.

because the cost of at tank of gas (which, with decent gas milage, should be enough for a round trip between Vancouver and Seattle) would be ~$60US

The cost of a r/t airplane ticket between Europe and Seattle would run about $900US

Sounds "fair" to me.

There is no way I could make it to the APE event and back home for $60 and I do have decent gas milage.

I pointed out many reasons why I chose mission 9 and the only arguments against it are that it's not fair, well, life's not fair either.

There is no way I could make it to the APE event and back home for less than $600. When I went out to Seattle a few months ago for a 1 day meeting and two extra days of vacation time my total expenses were over $1200.

Of course, it's easy to dismiss the inequity in the cost of traveling for some geocaching related activity when you don't have to incur those costs. If it's reasonable to expect that someone from the east coast would spend hundreds of dollars to travel to Seattle to attend a geocaching related event of someone abroad spending well over a thousand dollars then it's just as reasonable to expect that someone living in the PNW could spend spend hundreds of dollars to travel to the east coast for a geocaching related event. Seattle doesn't have a monopoly on mega-events.

I like BB&W's idea about hosting an east coast block party.

There is no way I could make it to the APE event and back home for $60 and I do have decent gas milage.

I pointed out many reasons why I chose mission 9 and the only arguments against it are that it's not fair, well, life's not fair either.

There's an annual mega within a short driving distance of the APE cache that use to be in New York. Maybe that could make the Berkshire Geobash go Giga.

GS could create a souvenir for that APE cache as well.

Since the other Missions went missing long before #9, this would give East Coasters the chance at the same Icon that folks in the Pacific NW had.

It would nice to be able to attend a Block Party without having to fly cross country.

I agree that life is not fair. It is not fair that people have to go to Brazil to get the icon when I only had to make a long drive up the coast with some friends to visit the APE cache. It's not fair that some people can't log locationless caches and get that icon. It's not fair that virtuals are being slowly phased out and someday people will not be able to log those.

Since Groundspeak seems unlikely to bring this particular APE cache back for a day, any more than they have responded to requests to bring back locationless caches for a day, I don't have to address whether it's fair to make the APE experience so different by linking it to an event where people are likely to stand in line to sign a log just to get the icon. But fairness rarely has anything to do with things. So it's nice to find points of agreement.

It would nice to be able to attend a Block Party without having to fly cross country.

You may have missed my post #10 - the sole distinguishing feature about the Block Party cache type vs. a regular event or mega-event is that it's Groundspeak hosting a party on their block. They literally close down some streets behind their office building, and use the plaza directly outside their office building. The uniqueness of the event is the ability to hear presentations from Lackeys who work in the building, buy merchandise directly from the team that handles Shop Geocaching order fulfillment, experience lab caches set up by the creative team, etc. Most important, you get to run into Lackeys all day long as they wander around talking to geocachers. They are hosting a party at "their place." The party is pretty much mandatory for all employees, from the mobile app developers to the marketing team to the customer service representatives. It is unlike any other event, which is why it has its own icon. You can't just pick it up and transplant it to Boston or Bonn, unless Groundspeak chose to open an office in those cities. Without the Groundspeak office, it's just an Event Cache, size "Mega."

Similarly, and to get back on topic, the unique characteristic of an APE cache was the unique container hidden in a designated spot and containing a movie prop as an FTF gift. The decision was made to archive these caches as the containers went missing, because otherwise it's just a Traditional Cache, size "Large." An APE cache is not something to trot out once a year as a temporary event cache. That's now handled by the Lab Cache. Even though I found the Washington APE cache before it went missing, I walked through the tunnel and back last month because there was a Lab Cache on the other end, and good company along the way.

You may have missed my post #10 - the sole distinguishing feature about the Block Party cache type vs. a regular event or mega-event is that it's Groundspeak hosting a party on their block. They literally close down some streets behind their office building, and use the plaza directly outside their office building. The uniqueness of the event is the ability to hear presentations from Lackeys who work in the building, buy merchandise directly from the team that handles Shop Geocaching order fulfillment, experience lab caches set up by the creative team, etc. Most important, you get to run into Lackeys all day long as they wander around talking to geocachers. They are hosting a party at "their place." The party is pretty much mandatory for all employees, from the mobile app developers to the marketing team to the customer service representatives. It is unlike any other event, which is why it has its own icon. You can't just pick it up and transplant it to Boston or Bonn, unless Groundspeak chose to open an office in those cities. Without the Groundspeak office, it's just an Event Cache, size "Mega."

Sounds pretty elaborate. I wonder what percentage of my (and hundreds of thousands of others living on the east coast, Europe, Central and South America Asia and Australia) premium membership fees goes towards marketing and holding this event.

I suspect that BBW did read post #10 and I agree that if an event which has all the same features as the blockparty it would be pretty much impossible to replicate it in Boston or Bonn. So maybe we don't *need* an exact replica. If 10 lackeys got on a plane (sometimes I wonder if Seattlites just don't like to travel) and flew to Boston and helped run an east coast "block party", they could still have lackey presentations, bring along a selection of merchandise from the shop (I've seen it, it's not that big), wander around all day talking to attendees, and so on. The only difference is it wouldn't be on the hallowed ground of a courtyard within close proximity of HQ.

Geocaching is a global game, with paying premium members from around the globe. Why *don't* they have regional offices? Maybe if they did, and lackeys went to some of the other places around the globe more often, those of use that don't have the luxury of living within spitting distance of Fremont might come away with the impression that they actually cared about geocachers everywhere.

FYI, Mission 4: Southern Bowl has qualified for the same souvenir for some time now.

Well, that just goes to show that GS can make alterations to an APE cache if they see fit, not a far stretch to bring back Mission 9.

FYI, Mission 4: Southern Bowl has qualified for the same souvenir for some time now.

Well, that just goes to show that GS can make alterations to an APE cache if they see fit, not a far stretch to bring back Mission 9.

I wouldn't equate setting a flag in the system to replacing and unarchiving a cache after several years.

For the reasons hydnsek mentioned earlier, I doubt Mission 9 will ever come back, nor any of the others for the same reason. They were archived because the original containers and unique PotA movie memorabilia went missing. Unless those magically reappear, nothing will change.

The cache was archived because the container went missing, GS has a legitimate replacement container, I.
Well, I suppose that depends on your definition of a "legitimate" replacement container. In this case, I think Groundspeak's definition will prevail.

Personally, I think Groundspeak should either resume creating new cache type icons for partnership promotions, or they should leave the cache types alone and continue to let the Project APE caches die. I hope they choose the latter.

Not sure what you are suggesting but it has nothing to do with my suggestion.
Well, as I see it, the main part of the Project APE experience that cannot be recreated with copies, and that people seem to be interested in "bringing back", is the cache type icon. Sure, some of the movie memorabilia were irreplaceable, but cache contents do not define a cache type. They're intended to be traded anyway.

If Groundspeak is going to create special situations for the Project APE cache type icon, then why stop there? Why not make it easier for people to get other cache type icons too?

No, I just genuinely think your suggestion is a bad idea. And since you protest that these are "serious" suggestions, I am treating them as such.

And would this conversation exist if there was no unique icon? Whether it's Planet of the Apes, or the block party, all that matters is obtaining the unique icon. I propose a golden calf for the next unique icon. :rolleyes:

Probably not but I'm sure there are many people that would love another shot at the icon.

Let me ask a question: Perhaps there were some terms in the agreement with the movie studio that drove the "Once they are gone, they are gone forever" decision? Maybe Groundspeak didn't really make the decision to not allow replacement APE caches but the decision was made for them. :ph34r:

100% pure speculation...

Let me ask a question: Perhaps there were some terms in the agreement with the movie studio that drove the "Once they are gone, they are gone forever" decision? Maybe Groundspeak didn't really make the decision to not allow replacement APE caches but the decision was made for them. :ph34r:

100% pure speculation...

I don't think so because when mission 9 was stolen they debated for some time before archiving it. As far as I know they do have one extra original APE ammo can at HQ.

And would this conversation exist if there was no unique icon? Whether it's Planet of the Apes, or the block party, all that matters is obtaining the unique icon. I propose a golden calf for the next unique icon. :rolleyes:

Probably not but I'm sure there are many people that would love another shot at the icon.

The icon wouldn't have so much cachet if it was easy to get.

Perhaps Groundspeak could offer the icon for a fee. :ph34r:

No. It means they could give the APE souvenir to cachers who found other APE caches.

If they're going to bring back an APE cache (which they are not), I'd propose the one in Central Park in NYC which had one (?) find before it was muggled. Think that one only lasted a few days?

No. It means they could give the APE souvenir to cachers who found other APE caches.

If they're going to bring back an APE cache (which they are not), I'd propose the one in Central Park in NYC which had one (?) find before it was muggled. Think that one only lasted a few days?

Methinks a giant ammo can would not be a good idea for post-9/11 Manhattan...

Methinks a giant ammo can would not be a good idea for post-9/11 Manhattan...

Perhaps true. But it was the only APE cache without a number!

Special Mission: PLANET OF THE APES Premiere! Put out for the 7/23/01 premiere of the movie! Four finds from 7/19/01 to 7/22/01. Disappeared quickly in Central Park. But to me, that's the sentimental favorite, if one were to bring back one of the APE caches.

Why try to replace the next to last one still out there? That's just entitlement. There's still one out there! (Okay. I was hoping to find 9, so I could beat out my brother who only found that one. I took a special trip to Maryland to find 7.) If any were replaced, my vote would be for Special Mission!

100% pure speculation...

I don't think so because when mission 9 was stolen they debated for some time before archiving it. As far as I know they do have one extra original APE ammo can at HQ.

I recall Groundspeak was pretty quick to announce Mission 9 would be archived and most of the debate was from the forums questioning if it was the right decision or not. :laughing:

(I had to look it up to test my memory. The last Found It was logged on June 9, 2011. Moun10Bike disabled the cache on June 12 and it was then Archived the next day, after "careful deliberation". It appears there wasn't a very long debate from a Groundspeak perspective.

(I had to look it up to test my memory. The last Found It was logged on June 9, 2011. Moun10Bike disabled the cache on June 12 and it was then Archived the next day, after "careful deliberation". It appears there wasn't a very long debate from a Groundspeak perspective.

That's not a very fair characterization. The debate about whether to reinstate missing APE caches came when earlier APE caches went missing and were archived based on the reasoning that it was the original container and movie prop that "made" a large ammo can a Project APE cache. There was a forum debate in 2004 when, if I recall correctly, someone wanted the Atlanta version revived. The 2004 discussion even addressed -- and rejected -- the argument that the Headquarters "museum copy" of the Project APE giant cache box should be put out as a replacement. The debate continued -- and crystallized into a policy -- when the Maryland and Illinois containers disappeared in 2006.

So, when the Washington APE cache went missing, there was all that prior discussion and precedent. The debate was more like, "should we honor our publicly announced policy that was followed as precedent on all the other Project APE caches that went missing, or should we make an exception and treat the Tunnel of Light cache differently because it's near Seattle and has turned into a geotourism destination?" There would be criticism either way, but at least by archiving the Washington cache, Geocaching HQ was consistent.

And, lo and behold, geotourists STILL flock to the APE Cache site regardless of whether they score an icon or not. That's thanks in large part to the WSGA and the terrific "Going APE" Mega-Event. The community has demonstrated why the cache thief ought to watch "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas."