It's September 1st

Roman!

So how come the count of those achieving the achiever souvenir has been going up all day.
Not everyone logs their finds the same day.

I sometimes log my finds the same day. I usually log my finds the same week. But sometimes it takes me longer than that.

I was under the impression that once August was over the achiever souvenir would not be backdatable and available.

1.10. I found all the souvenirs in August, but I didn't log my geocache finds until September. Do I still earn the souvenirs?

You'll be able to receive the first 6 souvenirs by back-dating your logs to the correct date.

However, the Achiever souvenir will only be issued to those who have earned all 6 souvenirs and then visit their Trophy Case during the month of August.

August has ended and, unfortunately, that means the 7 Souvenirs of August are no longer up for grabs. We hope you had fun exploring more of the geocaching world with us this month!

So how come the count of those achieving the achiever souvenir has been going up all day.

Just because it's Sept. 1 in your time zone doesn't mean it's Sept. 1 for everybody.

1.10. I found all the souvenirs in August, but I didn't log my geocache finds until September. Do I still earn the souvenirs?

You'll be able to receive the first 6 souvenirs by back-dating your logs to the correct date.

However, the Achiever souvenir will only be issued to those who have earned all 6 souvenirs and then visit their Trophy Case during the month of August.

My understanding is that, at some point in September, Groundspeak plans to do an automatic batch award of The Achiever souvenir to all those who have received the other six.

I sometimes log my finds the same day. I usually log my finds the same week. But sometimes it takes me longer than that.

There have been a few that I failed to log for a year or more.

My understanding is that, at some point in September, Groundspeak plans to do an automatic batch award of The Achiever souvenir to all those who have received the other six.

At the moment it appears that it still works instantly and automatically.

I guess they might have got too many requests and complaints. Within the last day (August 31 evening local time to Sept. 1 evening local time) the number of achievers increased by more than 10%.

Edited by cezanne

This is one thing that I do not understand. (Mind you, I'm not being at all critical here). I started caching nearly three years ago. My best friend purchased a GPS in a Black Friday sale, explained geocaching to me, and I downloaded the $10 Android app that afternoon. I phone cached for a year before being given a GPS for Christmas the next year. I now cache with both my GPS and my phone, depending on the location and how impulsive my caching expedition is. Even when I cache with my phone now, I do not log from my phone. I'd rather take the time to type up a real log on my computer when I get home, than tap out a few characters on my phone in the field. Even so, I'm never more than about 12 hours behind in logging my caches. I've seen notes from folks on caches and posts here in the forum where folks admit to being months and even years behind on logging their caches. That would drive me INSANE!

This is one thing that I do not understand. (Mind you, I'm not being at all critical here). I started caching nearly three years ago. My best friend purchased a GPS in a Black Friday sale, explained geocaching to me, and I downloaded the $10 Android app that afternoon. I phone cached for a year before being given a GPS for Christmas the next year. I now cache with both my GPS and my phone, depending on the location and how impulsive my caching expedition is. Even when I cache with my phone now, I do not log from my phone. I'd rather take the time to type up a real log on my computer when I get home, than tap out a few characters on my phone in the field. Even so, I'm never more than about 12 hours behind in logging my caches. I've seen notes from folks on caches and posts here in the forum where folks admit to being months and even years behind on logging their caches. That would drive me INSANE!

My husband takes tremendous pride in writing lengthy logs for every cache he finds. We're busy people and sometimes he is months behind. He keeps excellent records of his finds, so it's no big deal. If there's something urgent that he notices about a cache, he'll let the cache owner know right away.

When we're on vacation, it can be days or weeks before I get around to logging.

My husband takes tremendous pride in writing lengthy logs for every cache he finds. We're busy people and sometimes he is months behind. He keeps excellent records of his finds, so it's no big deal. If there's something urgent that he notices about a cache, he'll let the cache owner know right away.

When we're on vacation, it can be days or weeks before I get around to logging.

I have tried to increase the length of my logs (even getting called out by my buddy for the verbosity of the logs on less than stellar caches). I'm really bad at taking notes, other than the ones in my head, so it would be a big deal if I waited a day or two before logging my caches. I also haven't done much caching on vacation (due to a lack of vacations), making it easier to just log my finds when I get home at night.

I'm not being at all critical. I just know how crazy it would drive ME if I didn't log promptly.

There are many who would say for a geocacher that would be a short drive. A common theme is Geocacher = insane.

But seriousely, there are many reasons for a delay in logging - traveling with limited wifi connections is my most common - even with a evening connection, I don't have the time to keep up with my logging.

Some will get the August souvenirs in January 2015... just log it with a date of August 2014!!!! :P

Does it actually matter?

Yes it does... like a Spanish player said in the Spanish Forum: "Geocaching is a game of cheaters"

Why does it matter? If someone else wants to have some little images appear on their profiles, who cares? It has no impact on you. You know whether or not you legitimately received the August souvenirs. You have the power to delete false logs on your own caches. Other people's profiles are not your concern.

Some will get the August souvenirs in January 2015... just log it with a date of August 2014!!!! :P

Does it actually matter?

Yes it does... like a Spanish player said in the Spanish Forum: "Geocaching is a game of cheaters"

Why does it matter? If someone else wants to have some little images appear on their profiles, who cares? It has no impact on you. You know whether or not you legitimately received the August souvenirs. You have the power to delete false logs on your own caches. Other people's profiles are not your concern.

I don't think there's anything wrong with "cheating" mattering to someone else. The profiles are, by definition, PUBLIC profiles. Whether it is geocaching, football, a book reading challenge, work, whatever-- If I legitimately complete an accomplishment and someone else cheats to claim the same accomplishment, that is going to bother me. Bother me enough to come to the forums and call others out? No, that isn't me. But bother me enough that I can empathize with someone who is bothered enough to vent.

Those who want to cheat can do that already now.

Among those who log much later and have been cachers already in August 2014, there will probably not many cheaters.

By the way, a while ago I logged a find more than 3 months later. I simply did not find the time to write this very special log. I do not care about souvenirs, but I can understand that people can get behind with some (or even all) their logs.

Edited by cezanne
Even when I cache with my phone now, I do not log from my phone. I'd rather take the time to type up a real log on my computer when I get home, than tap out a few characters on my phone in the field. Even so, I'm never more than about 12 hours behind in logging my caches. I've seen notes from folks on caches and posts here in the forum where folks admit to being months and even years behind on logging their caches. That would drive me INSANE!
I almost never use my phone to post logs either. Like you, I save field notes and post real logs when I have access to a real keyboard. And I used to log everything pretty much immediately. But I've learned to relax a bit, sometimes out of necessity. For example:

Sometimes I'm offline for a week at a time. The logs for the caches I find during that week of camping must wait until I get home. And in all likelyhood, they'll wait longer than that, because I'm not going to sit down at the keyboard and bang out a bunch of geocaching logs as soon as I get home. I'll need to unpack, take care of my gear, catch up on mail, etc., etc., etc.

Other times, I've gone on a special geocaching trip, and I've wanted to post a special log (or multiple special logs). It may take a while before I have time to sit down and log that trip the way I think it deserves to be logged.

Edited by niraD

I don't think there's anything wrong with "cheating" mattering to someone else. The profiles are, by definition, PUBLIC profiles. Whether it is geocaching, football, a book reading challenge, work, whatever-- If I legitimately complete an accomplishment and someone else cheats to claim the same accomplishment, that is going to bother me. Bother me enough to come to the forums and call others out? No, that isn't me. But bother me enough that I can empathize with someone who is bothered enough to vent.

"It bothers me" does not mean "It matters."

It might bother you, but it doesn't actually matter.

You can't change what other people do, but you can change how you react to it.

Does it actually matter?

Many caches are logged quite a while after they were found for many reasons. As mentioned in another thread, I've logged some a year or more after they were found. The mere fact that caches were logged at a later date doesn't mean that there was any 'cheating'.

(Then there's the argument that for there to be 'cheating' then someone would have to be 'cheated'.)

Edited by sbell111

"It bothers me" does not mean "It matters."

It might bother you, but it doesn't actually matter.

You can't change what other people do, but you can change how you react to it.

I find it objectionable that you can decree what matters to any other individual. Whether or not something matters to any one person is an incredibly subjective test. For you to declare that something does not matter, not to anyone period, is a tad arrogant.

I find it objectionable that you can decree what matters to any other individual. Whether or not something matters to any one person is an incredibly subjective test. For you to declare that something does not matter, not to anyone period, is a tad arrogant.

In order for it to actually matter, it should have a tangible impact on your own geocaching experience.

While it might *bother* you that complete strangers have undeserved digital images on their geocaching profiles, this has absolutely zero measurable impact on your own profile, or your own ability to hide and find geocaches. It does not actually matter.

It's not cheating unless there is someone losing. Nobody starts losing until someone believes someone else is winning. At that point they are cheating themselves by believing that.

Yes, there are cheaters in geocaching. :P

Some geocachers are cheaters.

I am a geocacher.

Does that make me a cheater?

How do I explain, that even though "cheating doesn't matter" in the game of geocaching that I still play the game with integrity?

It's not cheating unless there is someone losing. Nobody starts losing until someone believes someone else is winning. At that point they are cheating themselves by believing that.

I am a geocacher.

How do I explain, that even though "cheating doesn't matter" in the game of geocaching that I still play the game with integrity?

If you geocache with integrity, it should be self-evident through your actions and does not require explanation.

I am a geocacher.

Why would it?

Integrity doesn't need to be defined by cheating, or lack of. It can exist on on it's own.

I agree that it isn't something that must be prevented or that they must be punished for.

But that doesn't mean that I don't have an opinion about them, and I see nothing wrong with us discussing our opinions using terms like "cheat" if we think that accurately describes what's going on. And laughing about it, if that's how much it matters to us.

I agree that it isn't something that must be prevented or that they must be punished for.

But that doesn't mean that I don't have an opinion about them, and I see nothing wrong with us discussing our opinions using terms like "cheat" if we think that accurately describes what's going on. And laughing about it, if that's how much it matters to us.

There's having an opinion, and then there's starting fourteen different threads about it. :ph34r:

How would you explain it if nobody claimed here that cheating doesn't matter? It would not change what happens out there.

Why do you want to explain someone that you play geocaching with integrity?

In fact it just went up again from 66,172 to 66,173.

I see 66,417 when I visited the page at 11:15 a.m. PDT on Sep 2.

I see 66,419 now.

The link at the top of the page on GC.com is gone but the page is still live.

This thread is just about the achiever souvenir which GS clearly stated will not be available after August 31st but still is.

Edited by Roman!

Definition of Cheat (intransitive verb):

Merriam Webster - to practice fraud or trickery; to violate rules dishonestly

Oxford - An act of cheating; a fraud or deception.

Free Dictionary - To act dishonestly; practice fraud.

So... Cheating is directly related to a person being dishonest. Let´s check dishonest:

Merriam Webster - saying or likely to say things that are untrue; containing information that is untrue.

Oxford - Behaving or prone to behave in an untrustworthy, deceitful, or insincere way; Intended to mislead or cheat.

Free Dictionary - Disposed to lie, cheat, defraud, or deceive.

So, if you say something or do something that you actually dind´t do you are lying and you are being a dishonest person. If you gain anything with it, you are a cheater.

Again confirm what a Spanish player said: "Geocaching is a game of cheaters"

There's having an opinion, and then there's starting fourteen different threads about it. :ph34r:

I see no problem with starting threads to discuss opinions. In fact, that's probably the more common reason to start a thread.

I'm a little bit more puzzled about complaining in 14 threads about people having opinions about other people's actions.

I see no problem with starting threads to discuss opinions. In fact, that's probably the more common reason to start a thread.

I'm a little bit more puzzled about complaining in 14 threads about people having opinions about other people's actions.

+1

I can only imagine two reasons for the existence of forums. The sharing of information and the sharing of opinion. I greatly enjoy both. I'm a much "better" geocacher (really, a better community member. Not one thing on here has ever helped me FIND a single cache) because I started coming and lurking about the forums. Also, I'm greatly entertained. The "Speaking Thread" had me in TEARS.

In fact it just went up again from 66,172 to 66,173.

I see 66,417 when I visited the page at 11:15 a.m. PDT on Sep 2.

I see 66,419 now.

The link at the top of the page on GC.com is gone but the page is still live.

This thread is just about the achiever souvenir which GS clearly stated will not be available after August 31st but still is.

You shouldn't be surprised that yet another thread has completely derailed :)

I don't know if this is some sort of correction going on. What if people earned their other 6 souvenirs before end of August, but didn't click on the banner to get the Achiever souvenir? Will they lose out on the Achiever or is Groundspeak retroactively adding it?

I thought that it was a bit strange that I had to visit a page in order to get a souvenir.

+1

I can only imagine two reasons for the existence of forums. The sharing of information and the sharing of opinion. I greatly enjoy both. I'm a much "better" geocacher (really, a better community member. Not one thing on here has ever helped me FIND a single cache) because I started coming and lurking about the forums. Also, I'm greatly entertained. The "Speaking Thread" had me in TEARS.

Again, there's having an opinion, and there's incessantly starting threads about the same topic.

In the interest of sharing opinions, it is legitimate to wonder what, exactly, is so horrendously bothersome about strangers getting little pictures on their profiles that it warrants numerous, slightly different threads. We're not curing cancer here, people.

WOW, only today I understood why in São Paulo suddenly apeared:

- 2 leterbox hybrid

- 2 Wherigo

- 2 CITO

Before August there was only 1 Wherigo and 1 Leterbox in whole Brazil... It´s all because of the souvenirs!!!! I don´t care about souvenirs so I didn´t even know the requirements of the souvernirs, never read them!!!!

Funny, how a souvenir can change things!!!!

Again, there's having an opinion, and there's incessantly starting threads about the same topic.

In the interest of sharing opinions, it is legitimate to wonder what, exactly, is so horrendously bothersome about strangers getting little pictures on their profiles that it warrants numerous, slightly different threads. We're not curing cancer here, people.

Maybe Groundspeak or some other website in granting souvenirs or badges on the number of threats openned or the number of posts!!!! :ph34r:

- 2 leterbox hybrid

- 2 Wherigo

- 2 CITO

Before August there was only 1 Wherigo and 1 Leterbox in whole Brazil... It´s all because of the souvenirs!!!! I don´t care about souvenirs so I didn´t even know the requirements of the souvernirs, never read them!!!!

It is entirely possible, and even likely, that these caches were published for the primary purpose of allowing others to earn these Souvenirs. Myself, I attended my first ever event (in almost 3 years of caching) so that I could earn the Socializer (and thus the Achiever) souvenirs. The event was a flash mob event, hosted by my best friend, published for the sole sake of allowing folks to get the souvenir. Despite a sudden, drenching rain, I was able to spend over an hour talking Geocaching and football (American collegiate version) with 8 or 9 fellow cachers. Two of these are among the most prolific hiders and finders in my area. It was an awesome experience.

And it was entirely attributable to the doggoned souvenirs.

+1

I doubt that bothersome part is the getting pictures on a profile. I think the bothersome part, (I know for me, I dare not speak for anyone else) is the violation of a community norm. As members of society, we expect others to adhere to certain norms. Rule-followers get very uncomfortable, even bothered, when they encounter rule-breakers. Whether the violation of the norm/rule actually affects me in any tangible way is not at all important. I am part of a community that has certain norms, I do my best to adhere to those norms (for myself and the good of the community), and I am indeed bothered when others do not adhere to the same norms.

As far as the incessant threads? Maybe JPreto (and I'm sorry to make any assumptions) is just compulsive about a thread sticking to a very narrow topic (no matter how related to another topic it may be).

- 2 leterbox hybrid

- 2 Wherigo

- 2 CITO

I do think that it has been intended by Groundspeak to encourage that people who mainly concentrate on traditionals go and find cache of types they have not found before and also that in areas where certain cache type did not yet exist some cache hiders might try out hiding other cache types than the most common ones.

Rule-followers get very uncomfortable, even bothered, when they encounter rule-breakers.

I tend to be a rule follower, and my own personal caching tends to be in line with the more puritanical interpretations of things, but I am not at all bothered by this. I know I can feel good about my own stats and my own profile, and I know who is worthy of my respect as a geocacher.

If anything, these obviously stupid shenanigans just make it easier to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.

I don't know if this is some sort of correction going on. What if people earned their other 6 souvenirs before end of August, but didn't click on the banner to get the Achiever souvenir? Will they lose out on the Achiever or is Groundspeak retroactively adding it?
My understanding is that, at some point in the near future, tptb will run some sort of query to identify those people who have the six and need the seventh and add the needed Acheiver souvi.

I thought that it was a bit strange that I had to visit a page in order to get a souvenir.
That's because the 'Achiever' souvi is strange. It isn't as simple as logging a qualifying cache and earning a souvi like the other six or the location souvis are. Instead, a query must be run to determine whether all six of the other souvis have been earned (or perhaps whether caches for the six other souvis have been logged). Visiting that page, I assume, runs that individual query.