Better e30 or 62s for birdseye topo maps?

LucaPCP

I have just bought a subscription for one year of birdseye topo maps, before I knew that I would be able to use it on only one of my devices (...).

So now I have to decide whether to install the topo maps on the Etrex e30 or the Gpsmap 62s.

I wanted to ask: is there any reason I should choose one rather than the other, e.g., better display / download?

What worries me is the super-slow USB 1 of the Etrex : will that be an issue in downloading the imagery?

What about the slower rendering of the Etrex? Is that an issue?

If neither download nor rendering are issues with the Etrex E30, I might prefer to use that...

Any advice?

I have just bought a subscription for one year of birdseye topo maps, before I knew that I would be able to use it on only one of my devices (...).

So now I have to decide whether to install the topo maps on the Etrex e30 or the Gpsmap 62s.

I wanted to ask: is there any reason I should choose one rather than the other, e.g., better display / download?

What worries me is the super-slow USB 1 of the Etrex : will that be an issue in downloading the imagery?

What about the slower rendering of the Etrex? Is that an issue?

If neither download nor rendering are issues with the Etrex E30, I might prefer to use that...

Any advice?

I have the 62sc and Etex 30. I put my Birdeye on the Etrex, it works fine. The Etrex is slow when panning and zooming but fine when navigating on foot because you are moving slow enough for the cpu . The 62s would of course be faster and have a larger screen too. Birdseye imagery V2 quality varies greatly from place to place. Some people say there areas are great, but my area is lousy compared to google earth. I got it for hiking in mountainous areas and the imagery was done when there was still a lot of snow around and so all the ground features are hidden by the snow and the almost white screen is very hard to see in daylight. The overall sharpness is also much poorer than google earth, best in city areas, poorer in wilderness areas.

Sorry about the double post, obviously messed that up.

Edited by Forkeye

I am a bit disappointed in the BirdsEye. I bought them for the USGS Topo option, but they don't show up on my device -- even when they show as "enabled" in the map options. Is there any special trick to get them to show up? Disabling all other maps? Changing some strange setting?

I have the 62sc and Etex 30. I put my Birdeye on the Etrex, it works fine. The Etrex is slow when panning and zooming but fine when navigating on foot because you are moving slow enough for the cpu . The 62s would of course be faster and have a larger screen too. Birdseye imagery V2 quality varies greatly from place to place. Some people say there areas are great, but my area is lousy compared to google earth. I got it for hiking in mountainous areas and the imagery was done when there was still a lot of snow around and so all the ground features are hidden by the snow and the almost white screen is very hard to see in daylight. The overall sharpness is also much poorer than google earth, best in city areas, poorer in wilderness areas.

Sorry about the double post, obviously messed that up.

Thanks for the information... btw my main maps for hiking now are from http://openmtbmap.org/ . I am a fan of open street maps, and the maps from openmtbmap are great, and easy to install.

(I am unaffiliated with the project).

I am a bit disappointed in the BirdsEye. I bought them for the USGS Topo option, but they don't show up on my device -- even when they show as "enabled" in the map options. Is there any special trick to get them to show up? Disabling all other maps? Changing some strange setting?

You need to enable birdseye imagery on your unit

Select map setup then map information scroll to birdseye and enable it, trails ,routes, tracks that are on your map should display over the birdseye, maybe some older topos wont I don't know. Topo Northwest for USA is free and works fine, but I don't know where you live but I think you are in the USA so check gpsfiledepot for lots of free maps.