Photo Competition - September 2014

I!

For September's photo competition, I've hidden a cache in Midgård:

map_of_midgard_by_ullakko-d7jc3p7.jpg

You must guess where the cache is. To be valid, your entry (max 3 per player) must contain:

• A Midgård map reference, as precise as you can make it (e.g. "base of the tree above the M of ROMRIKE"), stating where you think the Midgård cache is hidden.
  • A photo taken at that cache site (just pretending, okay? - so make it visually plausible if you can).

So like this for example:

• fea98ed2-390b-4e25-83e1-eaa6739d4664.png
    taken at GC11WFB, on the rolling hills of Poutakummut; the cache is in the little yellow house on the map

In judging the entries, I will short-list the three nearest guesses then pick a winner based on:

• Plausibility of the Midgård connection. (Photos of urban micros are unlikely to do well ...)
  • Photographic merit insofar as I am able to tell.

That's all. Go for it!

Commit code ----...////001333344555677888999999:aabbbcccccccddeeeefgggghhhiimmnnnoopptt

(please ignore this, it's just for me and is not any sort of hint)

Nice photo! - thanks for getting us started.

I should've said: please also give the GC code of the (real) geocache where your photo was taken.

(shouty red letters only to give others a chance to spot the update)

Cheers.

PS: (edit) - in your case no need to reply - I can see it's GC3018.

Edited by I!

My first guess...

6a872c3d-4cd3-4117-acea-46fff3b00537.jpg

Link to the full size photo

Taken at GC4ZD7V about a half hour before dusk this evening, along a narrow stream just as it joins the River Rykinjoki from the east on the edge of the woods. The cache is wedged tightly in a head height nook of a moss covered tree, the one closest to the building labelled Kilpi on the map.

If you are interested to see what the impressively trimmed hedge that surrounds Kilpi looks like, a photo of that can be seen via GC4ZD7V. I couldn't post that one as xJ had the camera at that point.

Edited by Gackt

I have three entries for this month's competition...

The first is of the terrible beasties that live in the woods to the east of Vargtungen (real cache GC1M56T)

31ae5965-ee1b-4458-85ac-521e869ec138.jpg

The second is the view of the sunset from the little hut on the west coast, just underneath the Viking ship (real cache GCK09Z)

5f4b8beb-5ae7-4a0b-9db6-15cf19307f69.jpg

The third was taken on the shores of the lake just east of the white stag at Heinmork (real cache GC2N2NP)

608ee656-b5e5-4f9b-a4af-af72716f3f3d.jpg

Great idea for a topic!

The impressive looking building at Karlaberg is not in fact a castle at all but a rather quaint little pub - where on most nights of the year you can sit and sup your pint of Karlsberg in peace, while admiring the view of the distant Keihann-Karki penninsula.

Don't be tempted to venture there in late October however. The locals are rather odd, and at Halloween they indulge in some very strange and unusual rituals:

ff153f62-a37e-434b-bff4-e324e9dd3332.jpg

Real cache: GC4ZEVH

With a couple of bonus caches: GC4Q1K8 and GC4Q1K7 thrown in for good measure... B)

My second guess. You'll have to use a lil bit of imagination for this one...

8231364e-111d-4131-aec4-af44855f2dd8.jpg

Link to full size photo

The long YLÄMAAT Canal Tunnel opened for business on 20th April 1789 after 5 years of construction and provided a much easier method of transporting goods between POHJOISET MANNUT and HEINMÖRK than trekking with horse and cart over the almost impassable mountain ranges that separated them previously. It is now disused, the last commercial passage being in 1911. The tunnel is falling into disrepair and has been impassable by any floating craft for many years as a number of collapses block the way.

The tunnel stretches from the river alongside the mountain range named HUKANSELKA, just north of the mountain range TRAAKINHARJA, and follows an almost straight path under the mountains surrounding YLÄMAAT to emerge into the north-east most fork of the river in HEINMÖRK. It is just inside this southern portal that this picture was taken on Saturday, about 50 metres from GCGNBE.

Knowing a few of the CO's caches, I do not believe the cache to be hidden in this dangerous tunnel. However it's not far from this portal. On the map between the name HEINMÖRK and the mountain range there are four trees. In the centre of those trees are the remains of an old cottage, not much more than the stone wall foundations which rise to about a few feet high at most are left. Tucked into one corner under a couple of the fallen stones is a solid built 50cal ammo can.

Cool idea for a photo competition. As frequent visitors to Midgard, here are our locations of the missing cache...

1. In the tiny settlement in the snowy wasteland of Norrsken with the mountain peaks in the background, the locals use the bell tower to warn of possible attacks on their community. (Real cache GC3FFHD Haglebu mountain church)

aaa.jpg

2. Above the region of Phjoiset Mannut lays a sheltered inlet that only freezes during the harshest winters allowing access to the northern mountains of Sami, where the cache is hidden in the treeline around the edge of the water. (Real cache GC3E8EJ at Lake Haglebu)

aab.jpg

Legend speaks of the mysterious "geøcåcher" and his moveable cache, tempting adventurers to a fruitless mission for hidden treasure, ultimately slaying the unwitting saps as they searched, leaving nothing but a pile of bones and a smashed GPSr ...

616c8547-a73c-453e-81b5-3b4c61a067b8.png

Keep trying! :)

Edited by I!

It was with much angst that my journey East was to pass through Lukinsola.

A place renowned for it's legions of giant venomous Arachnids.

I travelled with haste and was lucky indeed.

I only came upon this one scout which I disemboweled with my trusty sword.

1472cdc3-d23a-43d7-b98e-1f6e9635fbd3.jpg

Then it was a few hours uneventful walking to the lake at Sysi-laakso, where I met my fellow companions.

GC code GC3PM7Q

ba6244de-40bc-49de-b5dc-5ad712e9950f.jpg

Third and final guess. Photo taken at GC1NNHH.

3d4121b6-c36d-4b01-8088-6fe0e66a72b6.jpg

Link to full size photo

It was a clear day at Appeldal today. The photo was taken near on a bit of high ground at the most impressive building of the settlement with good views over a couple of other settlements to the north-east, with even SAMI to be seen across the waters in the far distance.

My final guess id that it is a small container under the skirt of the flag pole at Appeldal next to this building.

The cache was in the mountains of Isgrind:

b098919d-67cb-4e59-b335-04e83785399f.png

There were good guesses from milvus-milvus, Gackt and Clue-72 ...

• ff153f62-a37e-434b-bff4-e324e9dd3332.jpg6a872c3d-4cd3-4117-acea-46fff3b00537.jpg31ae5965-ee1b-4458-85ac-521e869ec138.jpg

... but the closest, and by virtue of the photo my winning pick, was from Yetidave and Elyz:

• aaa.jpg

:) :) :) Well done :) :) :)

Thanks to everyone for playing. Now over to the winners to set next month's competition ...