Metal Sculpture other than Car Parts

Somehow I was added as an officer/(dis)approver for the category of Car Part Sculptures. I've seen quite a few Waymarks come in which are obviously not car parts but yet there is no other category for them. I can't very well change the category so I was hoping there was a way to add a category of Folk Art Metal Sculpture O.T.C.P. (other than car parts). Can this be done?

Somehow I was added as an officer/(dis)approver for the category of Car Part Sculptures. I've seen quite a few Waymarks come in which are obviously not car parts but yet there is no other category for them. I can't very well change the category so I was hoping there was a way to add a category of Folk Art Metal Sculpture O.T.C.P. (other than car parts). Can this be done?

jriddell,

Typically, you are invited to become an officer in a category, and when you get the email invite, you accept or decline. Maybe the process was different years ago when the car parts category was created, and someone just signed you up. :rolleyes:

If you want to create a new category, the first step is to ask for feedback on the forums (this thread is perfect!). It's not a required step, but a very helpful one since the feedback provided can give you an indication of the chances of the category passing peer review. If there is enough interest, you can then create a group (recruit others to join you), write-up the category, show it in the forums in this discussion, get feedback again, and then submit it to peer review. I suspect there has already been a discussion on folk art sculptures, and if someone recognizes the subject they can provide us a link to see it.

I would be interested in seeing these sculptures. My guess is that they would all fit into one of our sculpture categories.

1 Abstract - Probably most of the would fit here.

2 Figurative - If they depict something recognizable as a human or animal figure, this is the category.

3 Realistic Object - If they are not figurative but depict another recognizable object, they go here.

4 Silhouette - Could be any of the above, if they meet the definition of silhouette. Sheet metal sculptures often find a home in this category.

There are a few other specialized categories such as Insect Sculptures, Dinosaurs, and even Outdoor Wooden Carvings.

So, I really don't see the need for another category -- unless you can think of one that doesn't fit in any of these, or have an example to show.