Double premium membership

Roman!

Speaking as an owner of a Puzzle cache, I will archive my caches if your suggestion is adopted. I'm one of what I will call the 'silent majority' of Puzzle cache owners who feel the same way. Your disdain for puzzles is well documented in the forums, and you are welcome to feel that way. If your change happens, puzzle caches will become extinct at your cause.

I hope that never happens.

Speaking as an owner of a Puzzle cache, I will archive my caches if your suggestion is adopted. I'm one of what I will call the 'silent majority' of Puzzle cache owners who feel the same way. Your disdain for puzzles is well documented in the forums, and you are welcome to feel that way. If your change happens, puzzle caches will become extinct at your cause.

I do not have a disdain for puzzles. I feel geocaching is an outdoor activity and for the most part puzzles promote the opposite, sitting at home in front of the computer. By eliminating puzzles we'd have a healthier geocaching community and that is very important to me.

I give any puzzle my gratuitous 5 minutes and I have quite a few FTFs on puzzle caches so disdain is the wrong word. A more fair word would be genuine concern as I am very concerned about the negative health benefits of spending hours solving puzzles.

It may seem like tough love but I do care.

Edited by Roman!

I do not have a disdain for puzzles. I feel geocaching is an outdoor activity and for the most part puzzles promote the opposite, sitting at home in front of the computer. By eliminating puzzles we'd have a healthier geocaching community and that is very important to me.

I give any puzzle my gratuitous 5 minutes and I have quite a few FTFs on puzzle caches so disdain is the wrong word. A more fair word would be genuine concern as I am very concerned about the negative health benefits of spending hours solving puzzles.

Putting aside the fact that I know you're just trolling...

Just ignore caches you don't like and stop trying to ruin the game for everyone else. It is exceedingly selfish to want to tailor the game to yourself at the expense of a considerable number of others.

If you want to give a puzzle 5 minutes of your time and then give up and go hike a mountain I say good on you, go for it.

Here's a thought though, how does spending hours upon hours in front of your computer trolling the forums compare with sitting in front of your computer working on a puzzle?

A more fair word would be genuine concern as I am very concerned about the negative health benefits of spending hours solving puzzles.

It's good to someone is looking out for us. And here I thought you just wanted to use the platinum toilet.

Your onto me, they offered me a moderator position on this forum in exchange for my help, I'm thrilled to become a valuable contributor to the geocaching community.

I'm not sure that their saying "Now there's a guy who needs moderating!" is the same as actually making you a Moderator. Just sayin' :o

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Just ignore caches you don't like and stop trying to ruin the game for everyone else. It is exceedingly selfish to want to tailor the game to yourself at the expense of a considerable number of others.

If you want to give a puzzle 5 minutes of your time and then give up and go hike a mountain I say good on you, go for it.

Here's a thought though, how does spending hours upon hours in front of your computer trolling the forums compare with sitting in front of your computer working on a puzzle?

Solving puzzles involves thinking, I have to think enough during the day, last thing I want to do when I'm geocaching is think.

Solving puzzles involves thinking, I have to think enough during the day, last thing I want to do when I'm geocaching is think.

Right, caching has many variations that meet the needs of many people. Let's not effectively eliminate any of the variations. Some people may be retired or not have enough intellectual challenges, so they do puzzles. Others have a desk job and want to get outdoors. Giving mind and body a good workout is important to present and future quality of life, & caching can help with both.

Right, caching has many variations that meet the needs of many people. Let's not effectively eliminate any of the variations. Some people may be retired or not have enough intellectual challenges, so they do puzzles. Others have a desk job and want to get outdoors. Giving mind and body a good workout is important to present and future quality of life, & caching can help with both.

That's why I suggested paying extra, those that still want to do puzzles can save the money.

My mistake. I thought you were concerned about the negative health benefits. Now it's just that you don't want to think. Does trolling the forums require thinking? :)

If done properly it does. :)

My mistake. I thought you were concerned about the negative health benefits. Now it's just that you don't want to think. Does trolling the forums require thinking? :)

Yes. It requires constantly thinking about getting the story straight. ;)

That's why my suggestion is so right, there are many reasons to employ it benefitting geocachers in many, many ways.

That's why I suggested paying extra, those that still want to do puzzles can save the money.

I don't buy it - your story, that is. Your neighbor says you've got a zillion other caches to find.

Edited by wmpastor

I don't buy it - your story, that is. Your neighbor says you've got a zillion other caches to find.

Are there a zillion caches out there?

All puzzles, multis and earthcaches, what's up with them anyways, why do I have to learn something and pass a test?

That's why my suggestion is so right, there are many reasons to employ it benefitting geocachers in many, many ways.

You don't lose a beat. You're sounding like a politician. Leadership in GS is ahead.

All puzzles, multis and earthcaches, what's up with them anyways, why do I have to learn something and pass a test?

There was a test?

There was a test?

With earthcaches, yes.

You must really hate D4.5 camouflage caches too then, huh?

For some of us, part of the appeal of geocaching is the combination of physical and mental activity. Please stop trying to break that for us.

Thank you.

For some of us, part of the appeal of geocaching is the combination of physical and mental activity. Please stop trying to break that for us.

Thank you.

If GS decided to implement my suggestion wouldn't that suggest that it was already broken?

Because that would make them traditionals.:rolleyes:

Sure, that is one perception. Cachers pay for the final locations of PMO caches, why should the others be treated differently?

So you are asking why different cache types should be treated differently?

Because they...are different? :blink:

Actually, Roman!'s nefarious plan could.be viable if it was done gradually in increments. The challenge experiment would have worked also, if Groundspeak had not thought ahead several years and jumped to that place right off the bat. People's habits and beliefs change slowly, and trying to jump ahead so quickly is akin to trying to steer a large ship very.sharply, as it will only churn water. Many COs want cachers to solve their puzzles, or to know how they are solved. However simply being handed the final coords is a little obnoxious.

I can project that double premium enacted in its proposed form would result in an overall loss, with cancellations exceeding subscribers. Although gradually, anything is possible. If we go back to 1800 and eliminate slavery, enact women's rights, eliminate child labor and enact minimum wages, there would be widespread anarchy. In 1974 government eavesdropping was not tolerated, but today it is. Anything is possible in time.

Because that would make them traditionals.:rolleyes:

Sure, that is one perception. Cachers pay for the final locations of PMO caches, why should the others be treated differently?

Cachers pay for the location of traditional PMO caches. They don't get the final locations of PMO puzzles or multis just by buying the premium membership.

Your reasoning isn't much different from going into a used car dealership, handing over the money for a cheap car and then wondering why they won't let you drive off in the Ferrari. Hey, you paid for a car didn't you?

All traditional caches, what's up with them anyways, why do I have to get off my rear end and go out to the coordinates to find a box?

There was a test?

Earthcaches often do seem like tests. Email the CO with how the igneous rocks were formed, etc., etc...

Makes sense, as unlike most traditional caches one raison d'être of earthcaches is to teach something. The owner can determine if the site was indeed visited and if the finder learned that something. I would think the former allows the cacher to log the find, the latter gives the owner feedback re how well his listing is written - if finders aren't learning the point of the earthcache he may want to re-write his description (lesson).

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

By asking for the final coordinates of multi caches with the argument that you want to minimize your work, you reduce your credibility considerably.

It's certainly more in the spirit of an outdoor activity to visit all stages of a multi cache that involves a 15km walk/hike than to visit only the final which might be just 300m from the nearest location to leave one's car.

Getting a high number of finds as cheaply as possible is not a matter of caring about the health conditions of the geocaching community.

Edited by cezanne

Your reasoning isn't much different from going into a used car dealership, handing over the money for a cheap car and then wondering why they won't let you drive off in the Ferrari. Hey, you paid for a car didn't you?

Great analogy, if I pay for the Ferrari (e.g. Double Premium) I should be able to drive off in it.

Great analogy, if I pay for the Ferrari (e.g. Double Premium) I should be able to drive off in it.

You already can, if you pay for the premium member caches you get to see them. But just like you can't pay extra for your Ferrari and be spared the traffic jams that everyone else gets stuck in, so you can't pay extra for your premium membership and be spared the requirements to jump through a few extra hoops to get to the final stage of a multi or puzzle.

I do not like most puzzles for the same reason I do not like chess... no patience..however theres more than enough caches around that I merely the puzzle or challenge caches. Why get so upset about it? Are you one that just has to have every find in an area?

You should have to meet the requirements of the CO to get the find... no paying to cheat as what would be the point... you could always offer to pay the CO directly...

Edited by sholomar

It's more like that there are a few people in first class who want to pay double so they could obtain all of the images from the NSA body scanners of everyone on the plane. This is after everyone has boarded of course, that the announcement is made.

All traditional caches, what's up with them anyways, why do I have to get off my rear end and go out to the coordinates to find a box?

You wouldn't if we could get tptb to adopt my cache delivery service. ;)

I need to get off my duff and launch DroneCaching.

That's an idea, send a drone to GZ, completely destroy everything within 100 feet of the posted coordinates, then log NM saying the area is totally trashed. And the obligatory Find because you'd made the effort and it's not your fault the cache wasn't there.

... although I occasionally wonder if some people have already implemented this idea.

I quite like the walk to the cache site but really can't be bothered to look for boxes. To minimise my effort maybe all caches could be equipped with a loud beeping beacon so that those who have paid a bit more can activate it and then just home in on the beeping.

Finding caches involves looking for stuff. I have to look enough during the day, last thing I want to do when I'm geocaching is look.

I quite like the walk to the cache site but really can't be bothered to look for boxes. To minimise my effort maybe all caches could be equipped with a loud beeping beacon so that those who have paid a bit more can activate it and then just home in on the beeping.

Finding caches involves looking for stuff. I have to look enough during the day, last thing I want to do when I'm geocaching is look.

Garmin has you covered.

Edited by GeoBain

I need to get off my duff and launch DroneCaching.

That sounds like too much work. I'm just going to use astral projection to get to GZ while my rear end is very firmly planted to a chair or bed. Then I'm going to use telekinesis to sign the log.

There you go, not using the logic you want others to use. Your suggestion would cause a whole lot of puzzle and multi caches to be archived - how is that "benifitting geoachers in many, many ways"? I see it benifitting Roman! in that there wouldn't be so many caches that are too much effort for him to get and his knickers wouldn't be so twisted.

Edited by The Jester

Thank you.

If GS decided to implement my suggestion wouldn't that suggest that it was already broken?

That's one big if. But anything is possible in 'Roman!'s Fantasyland'. Do keep in mind that fantasy is not reality, and if you try to live in said fantasy there is a name for that in psychology (most of us not having degrees in it might use the general term "nuts" but that's beside the point).

Thank you.

That's one big if. But anything is possible in 'Roman!'s Fantasyland'. Do keep in mind that fantasy is not reality, and if you try to live in said fantasy there is a name for that in psychology (most of us not having degrees in it might use the general term "nuts" but that's beside the point).

We have someone in this thread talking about astral projecting himself to a cache and signing the log with telekinises and you're calling me nuts?

Thank you.

We have someone in this thread talking about astral projecting himself to a cache and signing the log with telekinises and you're calling me nuts?

Makes about as much sense as your idea.

I still prefer a cache delivery service, personally.

Thank you.

And yes, I am nuts.

Thank you.

My idea breaks no laws of Groundspeak or laws of physics.

Thank you.

Do you know astral projection breaks the laws of physics? Perhaps we just haven't tapped the full potential of the human mind. From the contents of the this thread, it appears with haven't come remotely close.

Thank you.

Do you know astral projection breaks the laws of physics? Perhaps we just haven't tapped the full potential of the human mind. From the contents of the this thread, it appears with haven't come remotely close.

So now I'm nuts and stupid?

Thank you.

I'd have to defer that question to someone more sane and intelligent than me.

Thank you.

I'd have to defer that question to someone more sane and intelligent than me.

Than I.