Nostalgic

OK. I have to admit it. I wax nostalgic easily. For me I think it's one of the things I like most about Waymarking. Oh, I also enjoy Waymarking new things so that folks can find them, like municipal parks and public playgrounds and boat rams and such.

But I really dig those categories like Worldwide Cemeteries (no pun intended), and especially if they are also Abandoned Cemeteries, which we have a bunch of in my county. I can't resist Former / One-Room Schools. The ones sitting empty and left to the elements are especially melancholy. It's neat when they've been turned into homes, churches, community centers, or even (in one of my WMs) a workshop.

There's even something nostalgic about wandering around the graves in any cemetery, churchyard, abandoned, or whatever, and reading the names. Joseph Suchandso, Born Feb. 18, 1871, Died Feb. 18, 1871. How sad. I take a moment to remember him (or her) even though they only got to spend a day, or perhaps a few days, on this planet. And then there are the homemade tombstones. In some cases they were homemade because the kin could not afford something more expensive. On the other hand some of them are homemade because the kin wanted to take that much more time to do something extraordinary in the deceased's memory.

Country churches, active or standing neglected. Unoccupied shacks, and forgotten places (whoops! that isn't a category yet, but needs to be!). These are a few of my favorite things.

So raise your hand if you are also the nostalgic type. :signalviolin:

OK. I have to admit it. I wax nostalgic easily. For me I think it's one of the things I like most about Waymarking.

So raise your hand if you are also the nostalgic type. :signalviolin:

I'm trying to figure out if you are trying to plug a few of your favorite categories, or maybe you have been sitting in a dimly lit room listening to some old Country and Western music. biggrin.gif

Either way, thanks for bearing all and showing us that you are enthusiastic about Waymarking!

It's funny...

If you compare the message traffic in the Geocaching Forums to that of Waymarking, there really isn't anything to compare. There are a million messages posted in GC daily (slight exaggeration?) and here in Waymarking we can go days without a new message.

I only listed some categories to get you thinking about nostalgia-based categories in general. The ones I listed are some of my favorite things. But there are many more that fit in the attribute.

No dimly-lit room, though I prefer them. Just thought I'd discuss one of the important reasons that I waymark. That's all.

Edited by MountainWoods

I only listed some categories to get you thinking about nostalgia-based categories in general. The ones I listed are some of my favorite things. But there are many more that fit in the attribute.

No dimly-lit room, though I prefer them. Just thought I'd discuss one of the important reasons that I waymark. That's all.

Just giving you a hard time... rolleyes.gif

NP. Only you didn't answer my question. :laughing:

Are you the nostalgic kind. Or are you the kind that says: "Don't look back, Ashley, don't look back. It'll drag at your heart until you can't do anything but look back."

If I had ASHLEY in the car, I would probably be in REALLY BIG TROUBLE....

Seriously though,

Some of my favorite categories are Woodmen of the World Memorials, Handmade Tombstones, and All of the Veteran Memorials. I gravitate to cemeteries and can spend hours reading the different markers. I wonder about the people buried there. What was it like to live back then? I'm in rural South Carolina, so I am sure life was very hard for most of the people who lived in the 1800's. As for Veteran Monuments - My favorite are the ones that list all of the heros by name. If I had a family member who was killed in action, I would stand by the monument and tell each person who came by: "See that name, Joe Smith, that was my uncle, he died serving his country".

The state roadside markers are another favorite. Something happened on this spot and I should know what it was. You can learn a lot about the history of an area just by stopping at a few of the local roadside markers.

Everything has history, IMHO that is what Waymarking is about. Sharing that information with those who might not ever get to visit that spot.

As for nostalgic, you have no idea what a "sentimental fool" I am.