2.5k caches in one week...

So you don't like power trails or the people who do them. Fine. Keep it to yourself please. This isn't a thread about whether folks like power caching. :rolleyes::)

For the rest of you, if you were thinking about putting together a team of folks who would meet somewhere, rent a van and go find 2,500 caches in a week, where would you go?

One of my team-mates has likely done most of the AZ - TX 1K trails. We're looking at the Denver area at the moment but could go most anywhere.

Suggestions?

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Don't worry, never been there either. What an impressive cache map though, I think TAR and company should go for it.

The Confederation Trail is actually one power trail I would consider doing, it is strictly a walking/biking trail about 273 km long. I briefly stopped by the Island a few years ago collecting provinces. The Confederation Bridge was impressive (it cost $45 for the round-trip).

The Confederation Trail is actually one power trail I would consider doing, it is strictly a walking/biking trail about 273 km long. I briefly stopped by the Island a few years ago collecting provinces. The Confederation Bridge was impressive (it cost $45 for the round-trip).

Even better - come back out on the ferry from the south of PEI and down to Halifax and there's a big long line of caches all the way down the highway and coast from Halifax to Yarmouth.

PEI looked like it would be a good place to cycle fwiw. Rather Danish looking - and I imagine the Confederation Trail would be best done that way. >7500 caches on the island as well and it's all fairly compact so I reckon you could do 2500 caches in a week there easily on your own.

ET, Eldorado, Route 66 and Heart of Mojave to name a few. ET alone will practically get you there. Do ET and throw in some nvtriker caches and your there.

Edit: Also add in Yerrington, NV.

ET trail and surrounding caches should get you there. I'd do it in October it's cooling down by then

You can go do the geo-art in western Colorado conning 1,250 caches and then you would have to find one more large geotrail or two to hit. I think doing the geoart would be a way more fun way to do it. Also if you complete it the colorado geocaching society gives you some sort of prize I think. Happy caching!

just recently completed the Denver GeoArt...My wife and I did the series in 5 days averaging only about 200 caches a day...no time constraints...If you choose to go to the Denver area make sure that the weather has been good without rain..The dirt roads with high numbers of caches get real slick...real slick...I won't say it again...With a team there are enough caches in the area to get 2500 in a week depending on how the team works together..We have found ourselves now without a 4x4 or high clearance vehicle which is dampening our style...We want to do the run down the road from Earp,California and Eldorado and would love to team up with a group or someone who would like to drive their suitable vehicle...we will be in the area this upcoming October and are very flexable on dates...We live in our RV and tow a Nissan Versa Note which we did use to complete all but two of the Denver GeoARt series...we walked to two caches due to thick sand

My dream would be to bike the Iron Horse Trail up in Canada. You could even get a team, rent some snowmobiles, and do it that way. No cars or vans allowed from what the cache description says....

i'm also surprised that's so underused, only one person has found this cache along the trail in 2014

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC3R10K_iron-horse-power-trail-1143

Edited by gpsblake

My dream would be to bike the Iron Horse Trail up in Canada. You could even get a team, rent some snowmobiles, and do it that way. No cars or vans allowed from what the cache description says....

i'm also surprised that's so underused, only one person has found this cache along the trail in 2014

http://www.geocachin...ower-trail-1143

I'm a one-legged fat man in a wheelchair, with limited mobility on crutches. When I join a cache run team I am a planner and navigator but mostly the driver. Team-mates find and sign the caches. On numbers runs with say five members I drive, three jump out to find the cache while a navigator sets us up to find the next cache. We use a 2-minute rule... if it isn't found before that we're off to the next. The team stays together such that we're only looking for one cache at a time. The most I have done this way was 297 in 24 hours, with a total of 1000 for the next week. That was in 2005 before the proliferation of big-numbers 'power-trails', we found regular caches. I think the biggest series we did was 17 along a bridge. I usually don't log the caches, first because it's too much trouble but mostly because I didn't actually find it. I might log them if they are in sight of the van and I can see where the cache is.

This means that 2500 in a week pretty much precludes biking or hiking or off-roading in mud or snow that would slow us down. It will have to be mostly drive-ups. We're looking at the last week of September and that's risky weather-wise for some areas.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

http://www.geocachin...ower-trail-1143

I'm a one-legged fat man in a wheelchair, with limited mobility on crutches. When I join a cache run team I am a planner and navigator but mostly the driver. Team-mates find and sign the caches. On numbers runs with say five members I drive, three jump out to find the cache while a navigator sets us up to find the next cache. We use a 2-minute rule... if it isn't found before that we're off to the next. The team stays together such that we're only looking for one cache at a time. The most I have done this way was 297 in 24 hours, with a total of 1000 for the next week. That was in 2005 before the proliferation of big-numbers 'power-trails', we found regular caches. I think the biggest series we did was 17 along a bridge. I usually don't log the caches, first because it's too much trouble but mostly because I didn't actually find it. I might log them if they are in sight of the van and I can see where the cache is.

This means that 2500 in a week pretty much precludes biking or hiking or off-roading in mud or snow that would slow us down. It will have to be mostly drive-ups. We're looking at the last week of September and that's risky weather-wise for some areas.

You'd love PEI! Though I think the bridge was $44.50 Canadienne. Seemed a very strange price... But the Power Trails were just starting when we were there, and we had limited time to color in the province. And we had to find an EarthCache for out nephew.

Finding them on PTs like ET HWY, the towns like Rachel welcomes you. But some power trails and GeoArts it is backfiring. When large groups of cachers hit an area with PTs and GeoArts especially new ones, they get noticed and watched by locals. And where the COs may have gotten landowners permission I am guessing some of them are rethinking it. And they get noticed by the other COs. Odd they place them knowing cachers will race through them and then call foul if they swap out containers? It's okay in Nevada but it's not in other places?