Becoming a GeoLeech!

JPreto

Preto, talk to the Reviewer over a beer. All of you guys want peace in Brazil. He can help patch things up & revive your archived caches.

The reviewers are 8.000km away, remember?

Am I the only one who calculated that out to a bit under five miles?

Google seems to disagree with you by a few miles - about 4,965

There's a difference betwenn a comma and a period. Just sayin'.

It's a language/cultural difference--not an error.

Preto, talk to the Reviewer over a beer. All of you guys want peace in Brazil. He can help patch things up & revive your archived caches.

Irrelevant, really. I understood it to be 8,000 anyway. I'm even sure SBell realized it too. Still funny.

Irrelevant, really. I understood it to be 8,000 anyway. I'm even sure SBell realized it too. Still funny.

There's a difference between between and betwenn. Just sayin'.

More hilarity.

More hilarity.

+1

More hilarity.

+1

Okay, talk by phone while you're each having a beer. Glad I could work that out for you. I know it's rocket science.

More hilarity.

Oh, my aching sides....

More hilarity.

+1

Okay, talk by phone while you're each having a beer. Glad I could work that out for you. I know it's rocket science.

Thanks. You're awesome. Just sayin'. :laughing:

Also between metric and imperial system. We use , for decimals and . for thousands...

Just saying!

I knew that. I was just having fun. That being said, how do you know whether that period is a spaceholder for thousands, or not. For instance, how do you know that 4.999 is a bit less than 5000 or a bit less than 5?

I'm sorry, but those guys are just doing it wrong.

Where is that in the guidelines? :ph34r:

Given that it has nothing to do with placing a geocache, it isn't in there.

I personally almost fell out of my chair laughing at Preto's response. Perhaps I gave too much credit for the self-deprecating sarcasm that I picked up, but I really don't think he was being serious.

I'm sorry, but those guys are just doing it wrong.

Where is that in the guidelines? :ph34r:

Given that it has nothing to do with placing a geocache, it isn't in there.

I personally almost fell out of my chair laughing at Preto's response. Perhaps I gave too much credit for the self-deprecating sarcasm that I picked up, but I really don't think he was being serious.

Perfect word choise! You got it right!!!! B)

We have to play because we love to, not because we need to educate the other geocachers, or to give the example… or anything about everybody else. Just us.

This person really has a double personality problem...

It is the same BRAZILIAN FORUM MODERADOR that in another topic was accusing me of lying and being dishonest... Now he comes here, with his geocaching name (not is Forum Moderator name "Rui de Almeida") and be all sensible and understanding and full of...

Come on man, you cannot please greeks and trojans, take a stand and stop using different accounts according to your needs! :huh:

The prior posts (60, 61 & 62) suggest burnout as the diagnosis. Your post here shows you're on fire. Any thoughts?

"Some people say to fight fire with fire. I think the Fire Department uses water." Steven Wright

The prior posts (60, 61 & 62) suggest burnout as the diagnosis. Your post here shows you're on fire. Any thoughts?

"Some people say to fight fire with fire. I think the Fire Department uses water." Steven Wright

Actually the Fire Department first tries to cut some trails and clean up some parts of the woods before attacking the fire with water... That is what I did! Cleaned up my forest!!!!

Fighting fire with fire would be starting stealing other players caches, the way they did it with me... This is something I will never do!!!!

Also between metric and imperial system. We use , for decimals and . for thousands...

Just saying!

I knew that. I was just having fun. That being said, how do you know whether that period is a spaceholder for thousands, or not. For instance, how do you know that 4.999 is a bit less than 5000 or a bit less than 5?

In the context of this thread someone saying "the reviewers are 8.000km away" probably means eight thousand as opposed to precisely eight. It's extremely unlikely anyone would quote a distance to the nearest metre, and equally unlikely that 8km would represent a barrier to talking to someone over a beer.

If it's truly unclear what is meant you can always ask if it's important.

Just saying!

In the context of this thread someone saying "the reviewers are 8.000km away" probably means eight thousand as opposed to precisely eight. It's extremely unlikely anyone would quote a distance to the nearest metre, and equally unlikely that 8km would represent a barrier to talking to someone over a beer.

Yeah. Did you see in my post where I typed "I knew that. I was just having fun."?

Just saying!

Yeah. Did you see in my post where I typed "I knew that. I was just having fun."?

Yeah, it was right next to the bit that said "how do you know that..."

Just saying!

Yeah, it was right next to the bit that said "how do you know that..."
Yup. That's where I transitioned from joking about the decimal point to asking a serious question to satisfy my curiosity.

<This part of "Let's dissect every typed word rather than just having a simple conversation" is brought to you by the period and the comma. Come back next week when we will discuss the ellipsis.>

Edited by sbell111
- a geocacher that only searches for geocaches and doesn´t own a active cache listing, in a specific moment. This doesn´t exclude geocachers that help the community or in any other way help the geocaching game.

- a geocacher that is placing FOUND IT logs when he has no active geocache listings.

This could easily be one of the lamest posts I've ever seen here in the forums. We have a plethora of posts in how noobies place LAME caches and now if they don't hide a cache they're leaches? Which is it? It's time for some of you to go get a different hobby.

- a geocacher that only searches for geocaches and doesn´t own a active cache listing, in a specific moment. This doesn´t exclude geocachers that help the community or in any other way help the geocaching game.

- a geocacher that is placing FOUND IT logs when he has no active geocache listings.

This could easily be one of the lamest posts I've ever seen here in the forums. We have a plethora of posts in how noobies place LAME caches and now if they don't hide a cache they're leaches? Which is it? It's time for some of you to go get a different hobby.

I'm just guessing that somebody didn't read through the entire three pages of the thread before declaring it to be among the lamest posts ever in the forum. The above have already been asked and answered, several times over in this thread. I also learned from this thread the differences in usage of commas and periods between the US imperial system and the European metric system.

I'm just guessing that somebody didn't read through the entire three pages of the thread before declaring it to be among the lamest posts ever in the forum. The above have already been asked and answered, several times over in this thread. I also learned from this thread the differences in usage of commas and periods between the US imperial system and the European metric system.

And that some European countries work differently to other European countries.

In the UK we use the comma to separate groups of three digits and the period as a decimal point.

So 1.500 is one-and-a-half and 1,500 is one-thousand-five-hundred.

I agree. There are far more lamer posts in this thread than that one. Many of these were posted by me.

Right. If it ain't fun, quit. You can try to make changes, but be realistic.

Sorry but no matter if I used a . or a , to separate units from decimals.

Fact is, if I wanted to say 8km why would I say 8.000km or 8,000km? Wouldn´t it be simpler for me to write 8km?

In another hand, if I had such a precision in order to say that I lived 8,000km or 8,000km (with 4 significant figures not 7,989km or 7.989km) and I would have to know the precise location of all reviewers and all their houses be equidistant to mine in 8,000km or 8.000km, right?

I thought this was a U.S. forum.....leave that metric stuff to the people who drive on the wrong side of the road.

I would really say more... Geocaching is an americano game!

And there are no other countries in the world. Europe is probably an Island somewhere....

Sorry but no matter if I used a . or a , to separate units from decimals.

Fact is, if I wanted to say 8km why would I say 8.000km or 8,000km? Wouldn´t it be simpler for me to write 8km?

In another hand, if I had such a precision in order to say that I lived 8,000km or 8,000km (with 4 significant figures not 7,989km or 7.989km) and I would have to know the precise location of all reviewers and all their houses be equidistant to mine in 8,000km or 8.000km, right?

Which is pretty much what I said earlier about determining meaning based on context if it's not clear from the numbers. Four significant figures aren't relevant when talking about someone who lives a long way away or a short way away and whether the least significant figure is referring to metres in the context of a few kilometres, or kilometres in the context of a few thousand kilometres, it's still not relevant information.

I thought this was a U.S. forum.....leave that metric stuff to the people who drive on the wrong side of the road.

And there are no other countries in the world. Europe is probably an Island somewhere....

And there are Kangaroos in Austria. :ph34r:

And there are Kangaroos in Austria. :ph34r:

No Kangaroos but they drive on the correct side of the road although you can't read the road signs. Heck, everybody there speaks English just use it for the signs too.

I agree. There are far more lamer posts in this thread than that one. Many of these were posted by me.

Two notes.. I mentioned the lamest post that I'VE ever seen in the forums (I come and go often). And I do admit I didn't read the two or three pages of off topic posts.

First of all, I am in no way promoting the activity of becoming a GeoLeech. I am just expressing my thoughts...

Second, and after searching in the forum for this word, I couldn´t find anything that used it. So I am going to define it:

GeoLeech

Third, I found some topics that relate to this subject, read them and this is probably the most significant:

Seek but don´t hide

I am really in a stand still, regarding this issue. Can you point out more PROs and CONs of being a GeoLeech? I´m sure I am not thinking about all of them, but some opinions would be welcome before making a decision that is now more inclined on becoming a GeoLeech myself.

While I appreciate what you're saying I object to the terminology you're using. Geoleech is unnecessarily negative.

I've been caching for 9 years now (my old account had hundreds of finds) but I have never placed a cache. This is because I move around a lot, so I can't be sure I could upkeep a cache once I'd placed it. But I love hunting caches, should I stop because I don't have the means to place any?

There are lots of reasons people might not place caches. Just because you can and do, doesn't mean every can.