Does the NGS still update data sheets?

joshuar9476

I've had conflicting statements regarding this. I enjoy finding marks that haven't been logged (or even better ones marked as not found by the NGS). I want to assist the NGS if they still update their data, but I don't want to waste my time if they're not being updated. Does anyone have a definitive answer regarding this?

I filed some reports with NGS last month. The usual advice is to be a pretty proficient benchmarker on Geocaching.com before doing NGS recovery reports. The language and attitude is different: government database used by professionals vs. a hobby site. That said, NGS is happy to have eyes and ears on the ground to help them keep their records current.

ArtMan

I've had conflicting statements regarding this. I enjoy finding marks that haven't been logged (or even better ones marked as not found by the NGS). I want to assist the NGS if they still update their data, but I don't want to waste my time if they're not being updated. Does anyone have a definitive answer regarding this?

NGS updates data in their database every day. New projects with many new marks and updates to old ones are constantly being submitted by professional surveyors for inclusion into the National Spatial Reference System. Those on this board can provide important updates such as current recovery information, submitting good quality digital images and adding hand-held GPS positions for those bench marks that have only a scaled horizontal position. The best way to do this is to use the DSWorld utility http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/PC_PROD/PARTNERS/index.shtml. Over the past several years I have personally harvested hand-held positions and pictures for more than 60,000 stations from this site. I have often been frustrated when I've seen someone post that the published scaled position for a mark was way off (several hundred feet or more) and then they never provide a more accurate value. While it's a little out of date because the interface as changed there is a nice webinar about DSWorld that can help you step through it's capabilities - it's really pretty easy to use -- My lihttp://www.ngs.noaa.gov/corbin/class_description/DSWorld_0212.shtmlnk

Thanks ... I have logged over 120 marks and for almost each one i include accurate gps coordinates and pictures. I have also found a handful marked as not found by someone at the NGS.

...remember that Horizonal Control stations (such as Triangulation Stations) would not need coordinates in the recovery as they have coordinates which are more accurate than our HH2 units. As DaveD mentioned above, marks with scaled horizontal coordinates are where we can help...