lol it never fails

larkspeed

I only started geocaching 12 days ago, I was instantly hooked and I have already found 29 geocaches.

But it never fails does it, I was unhappy with the gps on my phone so I went to town and bought a Garmin eTrex 10 to use which I am very happy with.

Only now do I discover that had I bought it from geocaching.com instead of a local shop not only would I have gotten 30 days premium to try it I would have also received 4 travel bugs.

I really hate missing out on free stuff :)

I only started geocaching 12 days ago, I was instantly hooked and I have already found 29 geocaches.

But it never fails does it, I was unhappy with the gps on my phone so I went to town and bought a Garmin eTrex 10 to use which I am very happy with.

Only now do I discover that had I bought it from geocaching.com instead of a local shop not only would I have gotten 30 days premium to try it I would have also received 4 travel bugs.

Small commiseration, but the trail PM is still available > http://www.geocaching.com/garmin/freetrial.aspx

Once running, log out of the FORUMS, and log back in.

As long as you have the receipt, I'm sure you still have time to bring it back and consider it a free rental.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Since you live in the Netherlands there is another way to get a free trackable: move coins that participate in the Dutch municipality race to another Dutch municipality and write a nice log for the coin you moved.

Every month 3 cachers are randomly selected and they receive a nice prize just for moving a racer. And every 3 months the best logs are selected (pre selected by jury and then the winners by readers voting) and they win nice prizes as well. So lots of beautiful coins (donated by generous cachers and companies) can be won, by simply go out caching and making a racecoin owner happy! See for more info (like the current location of all participating coins etc)this website: gemeenterace.

ps: don't know why you write your Dutch cache find logs in English, but I would recommend to write the logs for the racecoins in Dutch so all readers will be able to understand them.

I write my logs in English because I am English and that is the language that I speak, read and write.

I may live in The Netherlands but I do not speak, read or write Dutch. Most people speak English anyway and my wife is Dutch so she takes care of anything that can't be done in English.

Edited by larkspeed

Groundspeak doesn't ship out of the US (unless it is an APO/FPO address). Do the partners offer the free travel bugs as well? Just curious.

And look at the bright side. If you're addicted to the hobby, you'd soon be looking to upgrade the GPS receiver - I upgraded 2 times in the first 3 years, I think :)

That's OK, travel bugs go missing anyway.

On the plus side, you've discovered an excellent hobby that just might change your life.

Double-alaskan-rainbow.jpg

Lovely pic you found there! Yep, TBs go missing, and only very occasionally do they seem to resurface. I always miss out on deals and add-ons...just a fact of life for me. Enjoy your new unit, larkspeed and welcome to geocaching and the forums.

I was gonna send you some new ones I'd bought & never used but now I can't find them.

I did find the copies of the 9 I put out but disappeared between 5 & 10 years ago! :-)

They don't tend to last, that's for sure.

Funny thing is I made a "homemade" one with a laminated tag (no GC numbered tag) years ago & every few years I'll get an email where it's still circulating.

It is fun to follow their trail history though.

Thanks for the thought :)

I did manage to buy one and put it out there it got picked up 3 days later, that was 2 weeks ago and it has not gone back into a cache, or at least it has not been logged into one.

I really hope i'm not unlucky enough to lose it on first hop.

Edited by larkspeed

Thanks for the thought :)

I did manage to buy one and put it out there it got picked up 3 days later, that was 2 weeks ago and it has not gone back into a cache, or at least it has not been logged into one.

I really hope i'm not unlucky enough to lose it on first hop.

The attrition rate for TBs is high, probably not a fun part of caching if losing one is painful. I have had some travel for years but they all eventually disappear. I've lost at least 40. My son's SEC Birmingham Baron's baseball championship ring traveled for six years and thousands of miles before coming back home, but it's more often the story that like my Groundspeak Takes Flight TB, a $100 remote control airplane, it just disappears never to be heard from again when the cacher who has it dropped out of the game. I think the ring traveled so well because it is so garish that folks likely thought it was a fake. It isn't; it's worth about $2500. It traveled via dozens of cachers over the years and accumulated over 20,000 miles and came home safe, so you just never know!

On the OP, I feel you. It often happens that when I buy something I soon see the price drop, and the more expensive the item the more likely it is to happen!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler