Logs not showing on cache pages

Nylimb

Logs are not showing on cache pages; there's nothing between the grey box that tells how many logged visits there are and the "Current time:" line. I can still see the logs if I click on "View Logbook", but only 10 at a time instead of all on one page.

This happens in both Safari 4.1.3 and Firefox 3.6.28 on an iMac running Mac OS X version 10.4.11.

Logs are not showing on cache pages; there's nothing between the grey box that tells how many logged visits there are and the "Current time:" line. I can still see the logs if I click on "View Logbook", but only 10 at a time instead of all on one page.

This happens in both Safari 4.1.3 and Firefox 3.6.28 on an iMac running Mac OS X version 10.4.11.

Are you also using a Greasemonkey script?

New Log Book Feature Added?

You need to expand the log book via the link at the bottom.

Although, I am still missing the map previews as others (IE at work, 9.08 64 bit).

Edited to add that I cannnot update the puzzle coordinates as also mentioned here an in another thread.

208fe00e-2e63-4e6e-8b36-da1e0629e928.png

Edited by MKFmly

I have the problem. No Maps, No Logs. I have to click the "View Logbook" link to see the logs. (IE9)

I'm also seeing logs and maps correctly. I suspect the problem is on the user's end.

Here is the thing. You should really not do changes that will not work for a significant % of customers. User end or not, all the other web designers manage to make their web pages work for me.

Edited by Andronicus

I have exactly the same problems as everyone else here... No logs, No maps and can't edit the coordinates. The problem started yesterday because everything was just fine the day before... I'm almost editing between 5-10 coordinates for mystery caches every night... EDIT : I just noticed that I cannot edit the Personal Cache Note either...

From what I read here... and if I'm not mistaken, we all have one thing in common... --> IE 9 <--

Everything is working fine and as intended under my other browsers... Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Safari...

Edited by Jeehell

I'm also seeing logs and maps correctly. I suspect the problem is on the user's end.

If I were the only person having trouble, that would be a reasonable conclusion. But I'm not.

I suspect that the Groundspeak programmers have decided to use some feature of newer browsers, which mine doesn't have. For Firefox, I tried to upgrade a few months ago and was told that I can't because my computer is too old. I can't afford to buy a new computer, and shouldn't have to just to keep using a website that was working fine until recently. (I haven't checked to see if I can upgrade Safari, because I've seen newer versions on other computers and didn't like them.)

If I were the only person having trouble, that would be a reasonable conclusion. But I'm not.

I suspect that the Groundspeak programmers have decided to use some feature of newer browsers, which mine doesn't have. For Firefox, I tried to upgrade a few months ago and was told that I can't because my computer is too old. I can't afford to buy a new computer, and shouldn't have to just to keep using a website that was working fine until recently. (I haven't checked to see if I can upgrade Safari, because I've seen newer versions on other computers and didn't like them.)

It's NOT user end related. It IS Groundspeak....

This problem has arisen in the past a few other times, and usually sorted itself out within a day.....but not this time. It's definately their website. Since early on Aug. 26th (yesterday) thru entire day today, Geocaching.com has displayed some big problems. Personal Cache Notes cannot be accessed AT ALL, Cache logs are no longer automatically displaying, View Larger Map is GONE, chiefly amoung them, but there are other probs too. Someone is asleep at the program wheel. H-E-L-L-O....Groundspeak! Time to WAKE UP and "flip a switch" or something!! THIS is becoming a real hassle!!

I have exactly the same problems as everyone else here... No logs, No maps and can't edit the coordinates. The problem started yesterday because everything was just fine the day before... I'm almost editing between 5-10 coordinates for mystery caches every night... EDIT : I just noticed that I cannot edit the Personal Cache Note either...

From what I read here... and if I'm not mistaken, we all have one thing in common... --> IE 9 <--

Everything is working fine and as intended under my other browsers... Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Safari...

Well then GROUDSPEAK made an unwanted change, and they NEED to change it back. They collect $$$$Millions$$$$ annually in programming fees to avoid these type of snags.

Add another unhappy customer. <_<

Without any announcement, Groundspeak have 'improved' the service we pay for, yet have introduced a problem for those who prefer to use IE9 (many simply don't get on with Chrome!)

Groundspeak - please resolve the bugs you have introduced so that we can continue to enjoy the experience, rather than being forced to change browsers!

Things were working as normal on my home computer running Firefox. Work is using IE8 and that is where the problem occurs.

I am in the same boat, and do not have the option to change - or even update - browsers on my work computer.

Things seemed to be working fine at home (I use Firefox at home). I did not try to update coords or access user notes at home, though.

Here's hoping that it gets fixed soon!

Things were working as normal on my home computer running Firefox. Work is using IE8 and that is where the problem occurs.

I am in the same boat, and do not have the option to change - or even update - browsers on my work computer.

Things seemed to be working fine at home (I use Firefox at home). I did not try to update coords or access user notes at home, though.

Ditto. Firefox at home and it works fine there. IE9 at work with no option to upgrade or install a different browser...and it's still a problem here. No logs, no maps.

Ditto. Firefox at home and it works fine there. IE9 at work with no option to upgrade or install a different browser...and it's still a problem here. No logs, no maps.

Well, i now know this is because of yet another change that GS made. For what reason, i have no idea,,, but i'm not surprised. Unfortunately, my old home computer runs on Vista and anything after IE9 is not compatible.

I know some on here will ask why i don't use firefox or another browser and the answer is, i shouldn't have to. Internet Explorer is still a mainstay of browsers and i figure most websites realize this and therefore try to make sure their sites work with it. Why GS chooses not too is beyond me. :blink:

Well, i now know this is because of yet another change that GS made. For what reason, i have no idea,,, but i'm not surprised. Unfortunately, my old home computer runs on Vista and anything after IE9 is not compatible.

I know some on here will ask why i don't use firefox or another browser and the answer is, i shouldn't have to. Internet Explorer is still a mainstay of browsers and i figure most websites realize this and therefore try to make sure their sites work with it. Why GS chooses not too is beyond me. :blink:

Every time I open GMail or Google Groups at works, I get the nag message about it not being compatible and they conveniently provide a link to install a "Modern Browser" (nice dig, Google!) which is obviously for Chrome.

Thing is, I've seen no problems with functionality on either one of those sites. Gmail and GGroups still work perfectly well for me.

I did notice that the 'Personal Note' section of the page is also unavailable...which is frustrating. I use that all the time - mostly on puzzles or multis - since they load into my app when I'm out caching and I don't need my notebook as much.

Another IE9 user at work with this problem - no maps, no logs unless I click logbook, etc. I'm sure the folks at HQ are nice people with the best of intentions, but geez Louise! Their communication is HORRIBLE!

Mrs. Car54

Yeah...I'm actually pretty surprised nobody has come in to either say "we're aware of the problem and are working on it" or "this is what changed and we can't make it work on your setup anymore for this reason"...or something else.

...and this is where someone comes in to say "yes, Groundspeak reads your comments"...but that is unnecessary because we see that all the time. Instead, it would be great to see some comment on this specific issue since it affects site usability for a large percentage of users.

Yes, I too would like to have some response to this problem. Does no response mean they aren't reading posts, there is no fix, or .... they just don't care that a lot of us find the current cache page set-up VERY user UNFRIENDLY ?

My premium membership fee is due Sept. 1, which is four days from now. I am reticent to fork over $30 for a service that I now find to be just plain frustrating to use.

This issue was just identified yesterday and investigation began immediately. It turned out that a change made to the site to support an update to the /mobile page was not supported in IE9 (and perhaps IE8). This caused all JavaScript below the offending call to break in these browsers. The issue has been fixed and you should no longer see these problems.

This issue was just identified yesterday and investigation began immediately. It turned out that a change made to the site to support an update to the /mobile page was not supported in IE9 (and perhaps IE8). This caused all JavaScript below the offending call to break in these browsers. The issue has been fixed and you should no longer see these problems.

Not to be a smart aleck or anything but does Groundspeak conduct software regression testing (inclduding browser compatibility)?

Comming from a flight test background it is a little more important that planes still fly, but it is industry best practice.

Regression testing is a type of software testing that seeks to uncover new software bugs, or regressions, in existing functional and non-functional areas of a system after changes such as enhancements, patches or configuration changes, have been made to them.

The intent of regression testing is to ensure that changes such as those mentioned above have not introduced new faults. One of the main reasons for regression testing is to determine whether a change in one part of the software affects other parts of the software.

Common methods of regression testing include rerunning previously completed tests and checking whether program behavior has changed and whether previously fixed faults have re-emerged. Regression testing can be performed to test a system efficiently by systematically selecting the appropriate minimum set of tests needed to adequately cover a particular change.

Thanks for fixing it.

Isn't there anything you can do to prevent problems like this from occurring in the future? Like doing extensive testing, using multiple versions of multiple browsers, before you make the changes available to the public? Or making the changed version of the software and the unchanged version both available, with a link in the new version that says "If you encounter any problems with this upgrade, click here for the previous version of the software"?

Edited by Nylimb

Add another unhappy customer. <_<

Without any announcement, Groundspeak have 'improved' the service we pay for, yet have introduced a problem for those who prefer to use IE9 (many simply don't get on with Chrome!)

Groundspeak - please resolve the bugs you have introduced so that we can continue to enjoy the experience, rather than being forced to change browsers!

Yay, problem resolved! It's funny how such a small issue can be so irritating, but hopefully thorough testing will avoid a repeat attack of grumpy geocacher. Thanks for fixing!

Thanks for the quick fix!

Thanks for fixing it.

Isn't there anything you can do to prevent problems like this from occurring in the future? Like doing extensive testing, using multiple versions of multiple browsers, before you make the changes available to the public? Or making the changed version of the software and the unchanged version both available, with a link in the new version that says "If you encounter any problems with this upgrade, click here for the previous version of the software"?

I have no idea what the current version of IE is but personally, when I use IE8 at work (or any other place where I can't control which browser to use) and view gc.com, there is a yellow banner at the top that tells me my browser is out of date and may no longer be supported. If something no longer works, I figure them's the breaks. I wouldn't expect a company to back-test changes to make sure they work in outdated browsers.The onus is on me to use a current browser or if I can't, to live with less functionality.