Cannot download caches after installing new map

I have used my etrex30 without any trouble for several months, just using the base map. Today I downloaded a map from Garmin onto a microSD card and now my etrex is 'not found' and it's all very frustrating. Have spent hours fiddling with drivers, etc, no luck. what am I doing wrong?

Peedieduchess

Does it work if you remove the SD card?

Are you using Internet Explorer?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=457

I have used my etrex30 without any trouble for several months, just using the base map. Today I downloaded a map from Garmin onto a microSD card and now my etrex is 'not found' and it's all very frustrating. Have spent hours fiddling with drivers, etc, no luck. what am I doing wrong?

Peedieduchess

Does it work if you remove the SD card?

Are you using Internet Explorer?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=457

Thanks, good idea!

I just tried that, and it's back to working ok

I don't use IE, I have Firefox and Safari, same problem with both.

So, is it just a matter of downloading caches with the SD card removed?

Peedieduchess

If it works, yes.

Could just be a bad connection on the card -does the map work with the card inserted?

(I presume it does, otherwise you would have said.)

The card might be making a connection and the map showing, but the connection is upsetting the GPS, so files don't load? :unsure:

Thanks, good idea!

I just tried that, and it's back to working ok

I don't use IE, I have Firefox and Safari, same problem with both.

So, is it just a matter of downloading caches with the SD card removed?

Peedieduchess

If it works, yes.

Could just be a bad connection on the card -does the map work with the card inserted?

(I presume it does, otherwise you would have said.)

The card might be making a connection and the map showing, but the connection is upsetting the GPS, so files don't load? :unsure:

I've not been out yet with it, but From what I can tell, the map is not what I expected, but I maybe did not order the correct one!

It does look like a map though! After work today I will download some caches and see how they look on the map, thanks for the help

Peedieduchess.

Edited by peedieduchess

Try reseating the card. Sometimes if the card is not seated in the slot properly, it prevents the GPS' USB functionality from working properly. This may be the case, as the GPS started working properly again after you removed the card.

Success!

I think the card was not installed correctly. It's quite fiddly to put the wee card into the slot, there is nothing to attach it, so you have to be very careful when putting the batteries back in

I've now discovered when I load geocaches I am given a choice of putting them onto the Garmin, or onto the card; does it matter which I choose?

Thanks for the help,

Peedieduchess

Try reseating the card. Sometimes if the card is not seated in the slot properly, it prevents the GPS' USB functionality from working properly. This may be the case, as the GPS started working properly again after you removed the card.

Success!

I think the card was not installed correctly. It's quite fiddly to put the wee card into the slot, there is nothing to attach it, so you have to be very careful when putting the batteries back in

I've now discovered when I load geocaches I am given a choice of putting them onto the Garmin, or onto the card; does it matter which I choose?

Thanks for the help,

Peedieduchess

I would put them on the card (\Garmin\GPX). The reason for this is that some have experienced an issue relating to caches not displaying. (I think that's the issue . . I have never experienced it.) The fix is to pull the card and power up the GPS . . essentially powering it up without caches to load. Thereafter, you can power down, reinsert the card with the caches, and power back up to resolve the issue. If the caches are loaded to the internal storage, there is obviously no way to power the GPS up without caches while you are in the field.

Thanks for the help,

Peedieduchess

How exactly are you putting in the card? The card has a cover that locks down to hold the card. There should be nothing you can do with the batteries to affect the card.

Thanks for the help,

Peedieduchess

How exactly are you putting in the card? The card has a cover that locks down to hold the card. There should be nothing you can do with the batteries to affect the card.

I had the same issue with my '30. The clip that holds the card didn't latch firmly and it was easy to dislodge it while changing batteries. A small piece of electrical tape took care of that.

I find that there is no clip or retaining device to hold the card in place, so it can move around quite a lot. There is a little hinged 'door' that covers the card, but it does not seat very well, and indeed the batteries are needed to push it down into position, so I can see it is possible for the card to jump put a little bit.

Thanks for all replies. Very excited......just about to depart from Edinburgh for holiday in Seattle....will be visiting GC HQ!!!

Peedieduchess.

If it's anything like the Oregon units just prior to this, there's a little stainless steel 'cage' that is supposed to lock into place over the card, but is fully capable of coming loose and dropping your uSD card in the grass while you're changing batteries (ask me how I know). Since that event, I have a small piece of blue painter's tape over the uSD/cage so that nothing can move.