WAITING ON CO TO TELL YOU IF YOU GOT ANSWERS

bamagal1

If you find a virtual cache and it requires that you answer questions and email them to the owner and you do as required but the CO doesn't check their email for a while then how can you log the cache? I found a virtual cache to count for my SEVEN SOUVENIRS OF AUGUST and emailed the answer to the CO but he/she hasn't answered me back so I cannot log the cache as found yet!! What do you do in this case if say, the CO doesn't check their email for say 4 or 5 days? Then I miss the deadline of logging my cache and miss getting my souvenir? Any help on this would be appreciated? I am new to this so maybe I am doing something wrong! Thanks guys!!

I log right away and send the email as soon as possible. Occasionally I know I won't be able to send the email for a while (say I'm traveling and won't be able to send required photos) then I'll log first as a note and change to a Found later to keep the logs in correct sequence. On Aug 17 I found an Earthcache and 3 virtuals; on one of the virts I heard back from the owner the same day, one I heard today and the other virt and the EC I still haven't hear anything--and probably won't ever because the owners don't seem to be active cachers anymore.

You won't miss your souvenir if you log the correct date you found it.

While this is normally true, the "Achiever" souvenir for the current 7 Souvenirs of August promotion works differently. To claim that, you have to have gotten the other six souvenirs, then click on the 7 Souvenirs of August banner that's currently being shown at the top of the webpage. This has to be done by the end of August, and you won't be able to claim it after the month ends, even if you have the other six.

As for waiting to hear back before logging, there's no need to. As has been mentioned, just log your find and the owner can delete it if they're not satisfied with your answers.

Thanks to all of you for your posts to my question! I really appreciate your help!! B) If anyone lives in the Saint Augustine, FL area and is interested in joining a Facebook Geocaching group or knows anyone who is please have them message or email me. I am thinking about starting one for the Saint Augustine, FL area since I don't know too many people here (only lived her a little while) and would really like to meet some new people and possibly some people interested in Geocaching!! I am now officially addicted!! LOVE IT!!! Now IF ONLY I can find a good avatar to match my username I will be all set!!!! Of course it refers to my being from Alabama originally and living there all my life until a couple of years ago but the REAL REASON FOR IT IS BECAUSE OF MY UNDYING DEVOTION TO THE CRIMSON TIDE!!!! IF ANYONE HAS OR KNOWS OF A COOL BAMAGIRL CRIMSON TIDE AVATAR THAT I CAN DOWNLOAD AND USE, I WOULD BE FOREVER GRATEFUL!!! THANKS AGAIN GUYS AND GALS!!!! YOU PEOPLE ARE GREAT!!! :laughing:

Edited by bamagirl1st

As many already stated, I send the email and log the find at the same time. If I somehow got the answer wrong or the cache owner has a question or issue, we can fix it on the back end.

As a cache owner, that's also what I prefer finders to do. That way, I don't have to send the 'You got the answer right. Go ahead and log the find.' email.

Thanks to all of you for your posts to my question! I really appreciate your help!! B) If anyone lives in the Saint Augustine, FL area and is interested in joining a Facebook Geocaching group or knows anyone who is please have them message or email me. I am thinking about starting one for the Saint Augustine, FL area since I don't know too many people here (only lived her a little while) and would really like to meet some new people and possibly some people interested in Geocaching!! I am now officially addicted!! LOVE IT!!! Now IF ONLY I can find a good avatar to match my username I will be all set!!!! Of course it refers to my being from Alabama originally and living there all my life until a couple of years ago but the REAL REASON FOR IT IS BECAUSE OF MY UNDYING DEVOTION TO THE CRIMSON TIDE!!!! IF ANYONE HAS OR KNOWS OF A COOL BAMAGIRL CRIMSON TIDE AVATAR THAT I CAN DOWNLOAD AND USE, I WOULD BE FOREVER GRATEFUL!!! THANKS AGAIN GUYS AND GALS!!!! YOU PEOPLE ARE GREAT!!! :laughing:

Keep an eye out for events in your area. That's a good way to meet other geocachers (for all you socially engaged people which I am not).

Edited by sbell111

I always log them and email them around the same time.

I've only received a reply maybe 20% of the time.

Personally, I'm of the mind that virtuals/earthcaches/webcam caches should only be in place if the CO is actively approving logs. I've said before I'm not a fan of the emailing system and I wish there were some approval system in place. Perhaps if the "found it" log didn't publish until the CO clicked an approval button or something. Whatever...it's not likely to change, so I'm not sure why I keep bringing it up...

I always email, then log. If you do it the other way around and have a particularly nasty cache owner, they may delete your find when the log comes in if the email hasn't come in yet. Unlikely, but I don't want to have to deal with that situation. I do this for all virtuals and earthcaches.

Personally, I'm of the mind that virtuals/earthcaches/webcam caches should only be in place if the CO is actively approving logs. I've said before I'm not a fan of the emailing system and I wish there were some approval system in place. Perhaps if the "found it" log didn't publish until the CO clicked an approval button or something. Whatever...it's not likely to change, so I'm not sure why I keep bringing it up...

How do you know that the cache owner isn't actively verifying the answers, even though you didn't get a reply email?

For my virt, I respond to those people who send an email but do not log and I reply to those who log, but send an incorrect answer. I do not reply if they log and email the correct answer.

How do you know that the cache owner isn't actively verifying the answers, even though you didn't get a reply email?

For my virt, I respond to those people who send an email but do not log and I reply to those who log, but send an incorrect answer. I do not reply if they log and email the correct answer.

That's my point...nobody DOES know. The CO may be there, may not be caching anymore, may not even be alive anymore. I just think there ought to be SOME standard of ownership on those.

That's my point...nobody DOES know. The CO may be there, may not be caching anymore, may not even be alive anymore. I just think there ought to be SOME standard of ownership on those.

There is a standard. The standard is that virt owners should review the answers. There is no requirement is this game that you have to reply to every single email that you receive.