Create a Route Problems

vinyrd

Trying to create a route. I started with text boxes then dragged to a different road. When I save it, it save with no distance,so obviously when you run the PQ nothing comes up empty. I can see that I have others out there with distances that I created in the past, but it's been a couple of years since I needed to create a route.

Using Explore and Windows 7 and also Firefox and XP same results.

Thanks

I also have the same problem.

More info (possibly linked):

Creating a new route shows 0 distance

Creating a PQ from an existing public route works fine

BUT

I cannot create a new PQ of any sort, the system tells me that I have not accepted the License Agreement (I Have, many times this evening :angry:)

Edit: Looks like these aren't linked after all. I can create PQ's normally now, but the zero-distance route persists.

Win7 x64

IE 10.0.19

FF 31.0

Edited by Sotonians

As a workaround, what happens if you copy your existing route PQ and modify the heck out of it? Does it seem to retain the necessary info to let you use it?

I believe another existing bug is that once you create a route, you can't modify it. Any customization of the route must be done during the creation.

As a workaround, what happens if you copy your existing route PQ and modify the heck out of it? Does it seem to retain the necessary info to let you use it?

I believe another existing bug is that once you create a route, you can't modify it. Any customization of the route must be done during the creation.

Nope, I can't edit an existing route. It sounds like this was already an issue before though.

Update: Uploading KML file saved from Google maps does create a valid route, so this would seem to be a valid workaround for those who have access to the full Google maps (as opposed to iOS / Android apps).

Sotonians, THANK YOU for this work-around... I'd never tried this method before, but it worked great. Definitely more time consuming, but not by much... and I was getting desperate (leaving town tomorrow! LOL). I really appreciate you chiming in with this advice while the Lackey crew works on the main problem. :grin:

We're glad it has been fixed.

Being about 5200 miles from home it's a nuisance not be able to create a route as before. dry.gif

We didn't have the time to look for a solution on the Groundspeak forum, as finding an appropriate public Route took much time, and had priority.

Luckily there *are* public routes. Thanks to all who made them available! biggrin.gif

It's a shame to pay 30€ per year for a commercial site that is not functioning properly on essentials. mad.gif

Looks like route editing is broken again. Is anyone else able to edit an existing route?

I can't find the export to kml option on Google maps anymore, have they removed it and if so, is there another way to get a kml route from Google Maps in a format that can be uploaded to Groundspeak so as to create a route for a pocket query along a route?

Open Google Maps and log in (need Google account) to My Maps

Create New Map

Select Draw line, then in drop down select add driving route driving route

Draw your route and save it. Give it a name.

Select the three vertical dots at the top and choose "Export to KML" and then "Entire Map". Click "Download".

You will get a .kml/.kmz file in your download folder

If you get a .kmz you can rename it .zip and extract all just like any .zip folder

Go to Geocaching.com and upload the .kml and use it as your route / create pocket query.

I have done this many times and have no issues with it.