Petition to bring back hamster caching.

T.D.M.22

You know, I have found many types of geocaches. And also owned a few caches. One that I have never found is a hamster cache. Apparently it didn't take off up here in Canada, so there aren't that many around. I've even got a few containers that would be good for a hamster cache. But I mostly just want the souvenir.

Hello T.D.M.22, sorry, but hamster caching is not, was never, a different cache type.

And it's never entirely disappeared either, ie, if you want to "bring back hamster caching", then lead by example, in your area, start doing it. I will say in this era of ever smaller hides, it's certainly tougher to do, harder as a hider, and as a hamster.

For more info see the Read Only Hamstercaching forums, and this thread in the Geocaching Topics forum

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=197288

Hamstercaching went away, and needs to be brought back?

Wow. I guess I need to update my profile page and forum signature line... not to mention my signature item.

Having just come off a streak where I found a cache every day for a year, I'm giving my breeding pairs a break right now. I'll start leaving signature items again in September. Hamsters seem to like autumn the best -- that wonderful time between the heat of summer and the cold of winter, when conditions inside an ammo can lower my LRPL to less than 30%.

.... when conditions inside an ammo can lower my LRPL to less than 30%.

I'm pretty sure someone is supposed to ask, "what's LRPL"? So I'm asking.

In Florida, hamster caching has devolved into cockroach caching. You can't kill those suckers, not with mere weather, anyway.

But the local varieties are big enough to decorate. Makes 'em kinda pretty, as swag in damp moldy caches goes.

I'm pretty sure someone is supposed to ask, "what's LRPL"? So I'm asking.

Sorry. Experienced hamstercachers resort to acronyms and we don't do a good job of updating HamsterLex, the official glossary of hamstercaching terms.

LRPL is "Loss Rate Per Litter," a common measure of success for hamstercachers. Increasing LRPL stats mean it's time to stop leaving sig items until spring arrives. Or to stop finding so many micros.

I suggest Hampster caching. While usually not waterproof or durable in the outdoors, they are large and can hold lots of cool stuff.

I think you mean Hamper caching... :unsure:

AYR-PIC-FS-204-NA%20%20%282013%29.jpg

Which they are durable outdoors, they're just not good at keeping things inside dry.

WOOO FTF. Took the yummy food, left an expired coupon.

Wait, this isn't satirical?

No. However.....it's elitist!

It's a shadowy "in-thing" clique, which thrives on creating an air of mystery. Pretend not to be interested, & the so-called hampsters are quite disappointed, although they try hard not to show it. In an egalitarian club like this, people strive for that extra edge, that bit of cachet (please pronounce it correctly), due to human nature. It's like the talk about platinum memerships (sign me up!).

:anibad:

Wait, this isn't satirical?

No. However.....it's elitist!

It's a shadowy "in-thing" clique, which thrives on creating an air of mystery. Pretend not to be interested, & the so-called hampsters are quite disappointed, although they try hard not to show it. In an egalitarian club like this, people strive for that extra edge, that bit of cachet (please pronounce it correctly), due to human nature. It's like the talk about platinum memerships (sign me up!).

:anibad:

The original post was just so delightfully earnest that I assumed it was making fun of the serious "bring back the thing I want an icon for" posts.

You know, I have found many types of geocaches. And also owned a few caches. One that I have never found is a hamster cache. Apparently it didn't take off up here in Canada, so there aren't that many around. I've even got a few containers that would be good for a hamster cache. But I mostly just want the souvenir.

I, for one, am completely against hamster caching, and I'm glad that this type of cache is no longer allowed.

I've spoken up on this issue before.