Are attributes officially numbered?

I apologize if this has been asked (and answered), but I searched and couldn't find it.

Are the 66 or so attributes for caches officially numbered? I've seen a couple of lists that have numbered various of them, but they don't match up with each other. Some have tried to use the attributes themselves to obscure the coordinates, but if the att'butes are subjective....?

Ta much/Diolch

I apologize if this has been asked (and answered), but I searched and couldn't find it.

Are the 66 or so attributes for caches officially numbered? I've seen a couple of lists that have numbered various of them, but they don't match up with each other. Some have tried to use the attributes themselves to obscure the coordinates, but if the att'butes are subjective....?

Ta much/Diolch

No, there's no official numbering. They're in unnumbered lists in the Edit Attributes pages, Pocket Query edit/creation pages, and here. I've never seen nor heard of any official page that numbers the attributes. A thought I had was that maybe the image files themselves had numerical file names, but they don't. They're named things like "dogs-yes.gif" and "wheelchair-no.gif".

If this is to solve a puzzle cache, you'll have to think of other possible ways to derive numbers from the attributes. I can think of a few ways, but I won't state them here because they could be spoilers.

Fun fact: If you include the negative attributes (ie. No dogs, etc.), which have their own icon files, there are actually 107 possible attributes.

Actually they are numbered, if you look in the GPX file for a cache you will see the attributes defined thus:

<Groundspeak:attribute id="52" inc="1">Night Cache</Groundspeak:attribute>

<Groundspeak:attribute id="24" inc="0">Wheelchair accessible</Groundspeak:attribute>

Where the numerical ID is associated with the particular attribute, and the inc=1 denotes it's a positive attribute (e.g. Night Cache) and inc=0 denotes a negative attribute (e.g. NOT wheelchair accessible)

This numbering is unlikely to change as it's almost certainly bound to the internal representation of the attributes in the backend database(s).

Edited by MartyBartfast
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

Actually they are numbered, if you look in the GPX file for a cache you will see the attributes defined thus:

<Groundspeak:attribute id="24" inc="0">Wheelchair accessible</Groundspeak:attribute>

Where the numerical ID is associated with the particular attribute, and the inc=1 denotes it's a positive attribute (e.g. Night Cache) and inc=0 denotes a negative attribute (e.g. NOT wheelchair accessible)

This numbering is unlikely to change as it's almost certainly bound to the internal representation of the attributes in the backend database(s).

Interesting. Nice catch.

...although I fear we've been inadvertently giving puzzle help...

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1

Interesting. Nice catch.

...although I fear we've been inadvertently giving puzzle help...

Not anymore so than someone asking a website to decipher a certain code....

Anyway-there is more than one way to use attributes as co-ords.

• Helpful 1

Despite the age of this topic, it was found via a google search for attribute numbers.

Today we tried downloading a GPX of a cache and the attributes were not numbered within the text file. So, does anyone have any idea where there is a publicly accessible list of attribute numbers?? Nothing else on search results seems to point to anything that answers this.

1 hour ago, The_Goldies said:

Despite the age of this topic, it was found via a google search for attribute numbers.

Today we tried downloading a GPX of a cache and the attributes were not numbered within the text file. So, does anyone have any idea where there is a publicly accessible list of attribute numbers?? Nothing else on search results seems to point to anything that answers this.

I see this on a random cache listing I had opened in a tab:

<Groundspeak:attributes>
        <Groundspeak:attribute id="14" inc="0">Recommended at night</Groundspeak:attribute>
        <Groundspeak:attribute id="9" inc="0">Significant Hike</Groundspeak:attribute>
        <Groundspeak:attribute id="8" inc="0">Scenic view</Groundspeak:attribute>
        <Groundspeak:attribute id="32" inc="1">Bicycles</Groundspeak:attribute>
        <Groundspeak:attribute id="15" inc="1">Available during winter</Groundspeak:attribute>
        <Groundspeak:attribute id="23" inc="1">Dangerous area</Groundspeak:attribute>
        <Groundspeak:attribute id="39" inc="1">Thorns</Groundspeak:attribute>
        <Groundspeak:attribute id="55" inc="1">Short hike (less than 1km)</Groundspeak:attribute>
        <Groundspeak:attribute id="19" inc="1">Ticks</Groundspeak:attribute>
</Groundspeak:attributes>

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, The_Goldies said:

[...] the attributes were not numbered within the text file. [...]

Attributes are part of the GPX file:

<Groundspeak:attributes>
        <Groundspeak:attribute id="41" inc="0">Stroller accessible</Groundspeak:attribute>
        <Groundspeak:attribute id="1" inc="1">Dogs</Groundspeak:attribute>
        <Groundspeak:attribute id="7" inc="1">Takes less than an hour</Groundspeak:attribute>
        <Groundspeak:attribute id="13" inc="1">Available at all times</Groundspeak:attribute>

Go to your profile settings and change your GPX settings from 1.0 to 1.01

Hans

• Helpful 1
1 = Dogs
2 = Access or parking fee
3 = Climbing gear
4 = Boat
6 = Recommended for kids
7 = Takes less than an hour
8 = Scenic view
9 = Significant hike
10 = Difficult climbing
11 = May require wading
12 = May require swimming
13 = Available at all times
14 = Recommended at night
15 = Available during winter
17 = Poison plants
18 = Dangerous Animals
19 = Ticks
20 = Abandoned mines
21 = Cliff / falling rocks
22 = Hunting
23 = Dangerous area
24 = Wheelchair accessible
25 = Parking available
26 = Public transportation
27 = Drinking water nearby
28 = Public restrooms nearby
29 = Telephone nearby
30 = Picnic tables nearby
31 = Camping available
32 = Bicycles
33 = Motorcycles
34 = Quads
35 = Off-road vehicles
36 = Snowmobiles
37 = Horses
38 = Campfires
39 = Thorns
40 = Stealth required
41 = Stroller accessible
42 = Needs maintenance
43 = Watch for livestock
44 = Flashlight required
46 = Truck Driver/RV
47 = Field Puzzle
48 = UV Light Required
49 = Snowshoes
50 = Cross Country Skis
51 = Special Tool Required
52 = Night Cache
53 = Park and Grab
54 = Abandoned Structure
55 = Short hike (less than 1km)
56 = Medium hike (1km-10km)
57 = Long Hike (+10km)
58 = Fuel Nearby
59 = Food Nearby
60 = Wireless Beacon
61 = Partnership cache
62 = Seasonal Access
63 = Tourist Friendly
64 = Tree Climbing
65 = Front Yard (Private Residence)
66 = Teamwork Required
67 = GeoTour

• Upvote 2

Here is a more complete list, extracted from my current "My Finds" gpx file. There appear to be two attributes (16 and 45) that are no longer used.  

45 was the old "Lost and Found Tour" attribute; all I can find on 16 is "not used." Does anyone know about that one?

1 Dogs
 2 Access or parking fee
 3 Climbing gear
 4 Boat
 5 Scuba gear
 6 Recommended for kids
 7 Takes less than an hour
 8 Scenic view
 9 Significant Hike
10 Difficult climbing
11 May require wading
12 May require swimming
13 Available at all times
14 Recommended at night
15 Available during winter
17 Poison plants
18 Dangerous Animals
19 Ticks
20 Abandoned mines
21 Cliff / falling rocks
22 Hunting
23 Dangerous area
24 Wheelchair accessible
25 Parking available
26 Public transportation
27 Drinking water nearby
28 Public restrooms nearby
29 Telephone nearby
30 Picnic tables nearby
31 Camping available
32 Bicycles
33 Motorcycles
34 Quads
35 Off-road vehicles
36 Snowmobiles
37 Horses
38 Campfires
39 Thorns
40 Stealth required
41 Stroller accessible
42 Needs maintenance
43 Watch for livestock
44 Flashlight required
46 Truck Driver/RV
47 Field Puzzle
48 UV Light Required
49 Snowshoes
50 Cross Country Skis
51 Special Tool Required
52 Night Cache
53 Park and Grab
54 Abandoned Structure
55 Short hike (less than 1km)
56 Medium hike (1km-10km)
57 Long Hike (+10km)
58 Fuel Nearby
59 Food Nearby
60 Wireless Beacon
61 Partnership Cache
62 Seasonal Access
63 Tourist Friendly
64 Tree Climbing
65 Front Yard (Private Residence)
66 Teamwork Required
67 GeoTour

Edited by The Snowdog
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
10 minutes ago, Team Christiansen said:

Does that mean that 45 has been removed from any cache that may have had it; or, that it is just no longer available?

It was only for 10 Years! events that had a lackey in attendance, like this one at HQ.  At least, it was supposed to be.  There was at least one geocache that somehow had the attribute assigned anyway.  Once Groundspeak caught wind, the attribute was removed, producing some hue and cry from angsty geocachers who had found it specifically for the L+F attribute and were not pleased when it was removed without explanation (see the early 2016 logs on GCHKAY).

2 minutes ago, hzoi said:

It was only for 10 Years! events that had a lackey in attendance, like this one at HQ.  At least, it was supposed to be.  There was at least one geocache that somehow had the attribute assigned anyway.  Once Groundspeak caught wind, the attribute was removed, producing some hue and cry from angsty geocachers who had found it specifically for the L+F attribute and were not pleased when it was removed without explanation (see the early 2016 logs on GCHKAY).

Just so I understand -- the attribute is retained for the events that appropriately had it, removed from caches that didn't appropriately have it, and otherwise no longer available.

1 minute ago, Team Christiansen said:
6 minutes ago, hzoi said:

Just so I understand -- the attribute is retained for the events that appropriately had it, removed from caches that didn't appropriately have it, and otherwise no longer available.

To my understanding, yes, that's accurate.

Also, as far as both cactus and L+F, those don't count toward the GeoAchievement badge on MyGeocachingProfile.

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/343523-how-to-find-caches-with-specific-attributes/&do=findComment&comment=5644204

Edited by hzoi
31 minutes ago, hzoi said:

Also, as far as both cactus and L+F, those don't count toward the GeoAchievement badge on MyGeocachingProfile.

Ahh, but the L+F is included on GSAK's FindStatsGen macro and thereby replicated on Project-GC's stats. Interesting that cactus is not. Until this thread, I don't remember ever seeing cactus before. Maybe I did, but just don't remember. Getting too old.

Edited by Team Christiansen
mistake

Hi all - Cameron from mygeocachingprofile.com here.  I just wanted to confirm that Cactus, Lost and Found, and Partnership caches are all part of the "Cache Attributes I've Found" section on mygeocachingprofile.com but are not necessary to get the 5-star Attribute GeoAchievement Badge.  It's my understanding that Cacti present was available for a time on Event caches but is no longer an option when creating Events.  However, the attribute is still attached to old archived events so some people might want to see it in their stats.  

Maybe I should put these three in an "Archived Attributes" subsection of the "Cache Attributes I've Found" section?  I'm always always open to suggestions about how to organize the site.  If you ever have a question, problem, or suggestion for a new section or challenge to track please don't hesitate to email using the contact form (http://www.mygeocachingprofile.com/contact.aspx) or at contactus@mygeocachingprofile.com.

On 6/19/2018 at 6:56 PM, hzoi said:

16 = the cactus attribute, maybe?  I see that on mygeocachingprofile.com, but per this old thread, it was removed in 2008.

No one could remember back in 2011 if it was #16, though.

With the new Attribute Search (and a bit of URL trickery, since it's not selectable in the form), one can confirm that it is indeed #16: https://www.geocaching.com/play/results/?att=16

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2
On 7/3/2018 at 12:45 PM, Brainzane &amp; Yossface said:

No - I believe the Partnership Cache is a special attribute that only Groundspeak can use when setting up a cache with a corporation.  For example, here's one from a partnership with the Dinosaur Train cartoon show.

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC2AV3J_dinosaur-train-oryctodromeus

Since the recent post directed me back here... wow my caching life has changed since 2018. But the reason I am posting in the thread is to give my (limited) knowledge here: I am maintaining a cache with a partnership attribute, one of the few left! I only realized when people started mentioning it in logs. So I am pitching in to try keeping it alive. I think it was simply set up by someone at WNET with no finds and only the two hides. I'm thinking it was an employee who left eventually? But regardless can't get in touch to adopt so we just need reviewers to continue allowing the community to maintain it. (Oh it's this one: https://coord.info/GC26VRH with 7600 finds... it also eats trackables... ;-))

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
On 4/6/2022 at 9:35 PM, CCFwasG said:

Since the recent post directed me back here... wow my caching life has changed since 2018. But the reason I am posting in the thread is to give my (limited) knowledge here: I am maintaining a cache with a partnership attribute, one of the few left! I only realized when people started mentioning it in logs. So I am pitching in to try keeping it alive. I think it was simply set up by someone at WNET with no finds and only the two hides. I'm thinking it was an employee who left eventually? But regardless can't get in touch to adopt so we just need reviewers to continue allowing the community to maintain it. (Oh it's this one: https://coord.info/GC26VRH with 7600 finds... it also eats trackables... ;-))

I for one appreciate your keeping it alive - it was our first find in Manhattan last week. :laughing:

Edited by hzoi
  • Love 1
On 6/19/2018 at 4:04 PM, The Snowdog said:

Here is a more complete list, extracted from my current "My Finds" gpx file. There appear to be two attributes (16 and 45) that are no longer used.  

45 was the old "Lost and Found Tour" attribute; all I can find on 16 is "not used." Does anyone know about that one?

1 Dogs
[..]
67 GeoTour

Based on the attribute search we can add:

16: "Cacti nearby", #retired, text taken from gpx file of https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC684

and there are a few new ones which could be added:

69: "Bonus cache",
        70: "Power trail",
        71: "Challenge Cache",
        72: "Geocaching.com solution checker",

Nr. 68 seems to be missing, too - the attribute search did not give any results.

Just in case anyone wants to write some code using attributes, this one could save you some editing:

attributes = {1: "Dogs",
        2: "Access or parking fee",
        3: "Climbing gear",
        4: "Boat",
        5: "Scuba gear",
        6: "Recommended for kids",
        7: "Takes less than an hour",
        8: "Scenic view",
        9: "Significant hike",
        10: "Difficult climbing",
        11: "May require wading",
        12: "May require swimming",
        13: "Available at all times",
        14: "Recommended at night",
        15: "Available during winter",
        16: "Cacti nearby", #retired, https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC684
        17: "Poison plants",
        18: "Dangerous Animals",
        19: "Ticks",
        20: "Abandoned mines",
        21: "Cliff / falling rocks",
        22: "Hunting",
        23: "Dangerous area",
        24: "Wheelchair accessible",
        25: "Parking available",
        26: "Public transportation",
        27: "Drinking water nearby",
        28: "Public restrooms nearby",
        29: "Telephone nearby",
        30: "Picnic tables nearby",
        31: "Camping available",
        32: "Bicycles",
        33: "Motorcycles",
        34: "Quads",
        35: "Off-road vehicles",
        36: "Snowmobiles",
        37: "Horses",
        38: "Campfires",
        39: "Thorns",
        40: "Stealth required",
        41: "Stroller accessible",
        42: "Needs maintenance",
        43: "Watch for livestock",
        44: "Flashlight required",
        46: "Truck Driver/RV",
        47: "Field Puzzle",
        48: "UV Light Required",
        49: "Snowshoes",
        50: "Cross Country Skis",
        51: "Special Tool Required",
        52: "Night Cache",
        53: "Park and Grab",
        54: "Abandoned Structure",
        55: "Short hike (less than 1km)",
        56: "Medium hike (1km-10km)",
        57: "Long Hike (+10km)",
        58: "Fuel Nearby",
        59: "Food Nearby",
        60: "Wireless Beacon",
        61: "Partnership cache",
        62: "Seasonal Access",
        63: "Tourist Friendly",
        64: "Tree Climbing",
        65: "Front Yard (Private Residence)",
        66: "Teamwork Required",
        67: "GeoTour",
        69: "Bonus cache",
        70: "Power trail",
        71: "Challenge Cache",
        72: "Geocaching.com solution checker",
    }

• Upvote 1
On 4/6/2022 at 6:35 PM, CCFwasG said:

Wow! I found that one back in 2011. When I read the description I remembered it clearly. Thanks for keeping it going!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, hukilaulau said:

Wow! I found that one back in 2011. When I read the description I remembered it clearly. Thanks for keeping it going!

Happy to do so - it continues to be found very frequently, occasional mention of the attribute, but the TBs still disappear regularly! :-) 

On this same note, I've been wondering if it would be possible to get more caches set with the partnership attribute. Are there specific rules or parameters listed somewhere? It should be easy enough to get an entity (anything from a state park, where I hope to set a cache, to a company - just takes persistence or a connection IMHO). We really do need more "partnership" caches I believe!

2 minutes ago, CCFwasG said:

On this same note, I've been wondering if it would be possible to get more caches set with the partnership attribute. Are there specific rules or parameters listed somewhere? It should be easy enough to get an entity (anything from a state park, where I hope to set a cache, to a company - just takes persistence or a connection IMHO). We really do need more "partnership" caches I believe!

I think that would bump up against the "agenda" and "commercial content" guidelines.

On 6/21/2022 at 6:42 PM, barefootjeff said:

I think that would bump up against the "agenda" and "commercial content" guidelines.

But what is not commercial? I was thinking state park, for example. (If they have "partnership" surely they have guidelines it fits in? A non-profit, presumably?!)

1 hour ago, CCFwasG said:

But what is not commercial? I was thinking state park, for example. (If they have "partnership" surely they have guidelines it fits in? A non-profit, presumably?!)

There are currently only 9 caches worldwide that have the Partnership Cache attribute and about half of those are part of a Dinosaur series that appears to have been a commercial collaboration between HQ and The Jim Henson Company. This attribute can't be set by a CO so my guess is it's reserved for such special collaborations with HQ.

On 6/19/2018 at 6:04 AM, The Snowdog said:

1 Dogs
 2 Access or parking fee
 3 Climbing gear
 4 Boat
 5 Scuba gear
 6 Recommended for kids
 7 Takes less than an hour
 8 Scenic view
 9 Significant Hike
10 Difficult climbing
11 May require wading
12 May require swimming
13 Available at all times
14 Recommended at night
15 Available during winter
17 Poison plants
18 Dangerous Animals
19 Ticks
20 Abandoned mines
21 Cliff / falling rocks
22 Hunting
23 Dangerous area
24 Wheelchair accessible
25 Parking available
26 Public transportation
27 Drinking water nearby
28 Public restrooms nearby
29 Telephone nearby
30 Picnic tables nearby
31 Camping available
32 Bicycles
33 Motorcycles
34 Quads
35 Off-road vehicles
36 Snowmobiles
37 Horses
38 Campfires
39 Thorns
40 Stealth required
41 Stroller accessible
42 Needs maintenance
43 Watch for livestock
44 Flashlight required
46 Truck Driver/RV
47 Field Puzzle
48 UV Light Required
49 Snowshoes
50 Cross Country Skis
51 Special Tool Required
52 Night Cache
53 Park and Grab
54 Abandoned Structure
55 Short hike (less than 1km)
56 Medium hike (1km-10km)
57 Long Hike (+10km)
58 Fuel Nearby
59 Food Nearby
60 Wireless Beacon
61 Partnership Cache
62 Seasonal Access
63 Tourist Friendly
64 Tree Climbing
65 Front Yard (Private Residence)
66 Teamwork Required
67 GeoTour

Very Helpful. I wondered if they were numbered.