2008 Waymarking Year in Review

Lat34North

At the end of 2008 we have seen some impressive growth in the number of active listings on the Waymarking site.

Waymarking represents almost 18% of all active listings across all three Groundspeak games. We have passed 150,000 listings and have well over 800 unique categories to choose from. The Community Server forum software was restored to proper functionality as well.

2009 promises to be a big year for Waymarking with an anticipated new search engine, continued growth and enjoyment for everyone. Keep those cameras clicking!

Posted on 12/28/2008 7:05:00 AM by Checkmark

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder what the number of "active listings" Waymarking is in 2014??

Edited by Lat34North

At the end of 2008 we have seen some impressive growth in the number of active listings on the Waymarking site.

Waymarking represents almost 18% of all active listings across all three Groundspeak games. We have passed 150,000 listings and have well over 800 unique categories to choose from. The Community Server forum software was restored to proper functionality as well.

2009 promises to be a big year for Waymarking with an anticipated new search engine, continued growth and enjoyment for everyone. Keep those cameras clicking!

Posted on 12/28/2008 7:05:00 AM by Checkmark

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder what the number of "active listings" Waymarking is in 2014??

Okay, I'm stumped. Obviously Waymarking.com and Geocaching.com, but what's the third?

Anyway, if you use Waymarking and Geocaching, Waymarks make up 18.5% of all listings as of this post, so there's been very little change in the last 6 years. I guess both have been growing at the same rate, although one clearly gets far more support than the other. If Waymarking.com got the support it needs, it probably would have grown much more.

Edit: I guess Wherigo is the third, though there's a lot of crossover between that and Geocaching.com. I'm not sure how to account for that. Compared to the other two sites, though, I think Wherigo is statistically insignificant (gut feeling), and it's more difficult to get a total number of those, so I'll just ignore that. :grin:

Edited by The A-Team

I thought that Wherigo might be interesting. But the fact that it uses specialized hardware that I don't have, and am not likely to get, kinda does that in for me.

Through the years the GPSrs added geocaching support, and they already have waypoints - which is all you really need for Waymarking. But I doubt that the below-the-top-end units (entry level to mid level) are ever going to add Wherigo capability. I could be wrong. But I don't see any trend toward adding it to the new low to mid-level units.

It's kind of like video phones. No one bought one because no one had one because no one bought one. Geocaching took off so extremely (like basic telephones versus video phones), that it warranted adding the capabilities to the most basic units. But Wherigo ... ? (WheredItGo?)

Edited by MountainWoods

waymarks by year via archive.org

1/29/14 - 591137 66.0k

1/18/14 - 525134 78.0k

1/14/13 - 447166 72.7k

1/12/12 - 374472 82.5k

1/13/11 - 291921 67.5k

1/12/10 - 224415 69.5k

1/17/09 - 155147

Must say, it's been very consistent since 2009 although a small ststisical drop over the past year