What to log on a nano run.

coodie

That's why it's a Note rather than a Found. A few times I've been to GZ, realised what the search involved, and cycled on past without even slowing and then written a Note to just say I can't be bothered with an endlessly repetitive search.

I'd rather just ignore them than write snarky comments in the logs. Maybe on one of them, but logging multiple notes saying "this is tedious, I'm not going to search" seems excessive.

Right. The CO put out at least *some* effort. *Some* people like them and want them. No prob if you don't - few people like all cache types equally. Ignore those you dislike - avoid snark.

In fairness I'd only write a note on the first one I didn't bother with.

If a cache is the kind of endlessly repetitive search I'd post a note to serve two purposes.

Firstly it warns other people who might feel the same way as I do that they'll regard it as a waste of time. If people like looking for nanos on guard rails they can ignore my log, if they hate them they may be saved a wasted trip.

Secondly it lets the CO know that some people don't like that kind of search. They don't have to do anything in response but at least they know that some people prefer an inventive hide to the kind of thing where you are just trying every possible one of many hiding places, and the addition of thorns or stinging nettles makes it less likely people will bother to look at all.

And the cache owner has to spend two extra seconds of his life deleting your snarky notes. Good job.

The cache owner doesn't have to do anything of the sort. If they don't like my comments they can delete them but nobody is forcing them to do so. If they don't want comments on what people thought of their caches they shouldn't hide caches. If all people want is unadulterated praise they should go cry to their mummy.

Leaving a snarky note on a cache page that you didn't try to find because it was a nano isn't helpful to anyone. It's just you trying to be snarky and amusing yourself by being mean to others. As such, the note should be deleted. In my opinion, a person leaving such notes should also be sanctioned, but I'm not in charge of those things.

Of course it's helpful to people. It's helpful to anyone else who might find a succession of nanos uninspiring, or who finds looking for a nano on a guard rail or a long metal fence (as opposed to a nano in a location that doesn't require such an endlessly repetitive search) sufficiently tedious that they wouldn't bother going out.

I wouldn't leave a note if I hadn't even bothered to head to the coordinates but if I got the coordinates and found it was going to be the kind of search where the nano is in one of 100,000 functionally identical hiding places (e.g. a very long fence made of metal uprights with horizontal metal supports) I'll unashamedly write a note to say I got to GZ and couldn't be bothered to search. I've seen others do it too, so I'm clearly not the only one who dislikes that kind of thing.

See...that right there - the part I bolded - that's the unecessary snark and rudeness. How quickly this game would lose its appeal if people did that regularly..."oh no, not another stupid ammo can tied to a tree" or "I can't be bothered to inspect every branch to look for your ridiculous bison tube". Instead, you are making the COs bother to read your pointless comments that neither help nor enhance the game for anyone.

Leaving a snarky note on a cache page that you didn't try to find because it was a nano isn't helpful to anyone. It's just you trying to be snarky and amusing yourself by being mean to others. As such, the note should be deleted. In my opinion, a person leaving such notes should also be sanctioned, but I'm not in charge of those things.

Of course it's helpful to people. It's helpful to anyone else who might find a succession of nanos uninspiring, or who finds looking for a nano on a guard rail or a long metal fence (as opposed to a nano in a location that doesn't require such an endlessly repetitive search) sufficiently tedious that they wouldn't bother going out.

I wouldn't leave a note if I hadn't even bothered to head to the coordinates but if I got the coordinates and found it was going to be the kind of search where the nano is in one of 100,000 functionally identical hiding places (e.g. a very long fence made of metal uprights with horizontal metal supports) I'll unashamedly write a note to say I got to GZ and couldn't be bothered to search. I've seen others do it too, so I'm clearly not the only one who dislikes that kind of thing.

So far it has been my experience that if you're heading to a series of nanos hidden in the same style, you will have a pretty good idea from the cache write-up, the location on the map, and the logs of others. And the snarky log will quickly get buried under the subsequent logs, unless you continuously create new logs or edit your note to give it a new date, something that I doubt anyone would seriously recommend. So I don't think it's particularly helpful either.

That's why it's a Note rather than a Found. A few times I've been to GZ, realised what the search involved, and cycled on past without even slowing and then written a Note to just say I can't be bothered with an endlessly repetitive search.

I'd rather just ignore them than write snarky comments in the logs. Maybe on one of them, but logging multiple notes saying "this is tedious, I'm not going to search" seems excessive.

Right. The CO put out at least *some* effort. *Some* people like them and want them. No prob if you don't - few people like all cache types equally. Ignore those you dislike - avoid snark.

If a cache is the kind of endlessly repetitive search I'd post a note to serve two purposes.

Firstly it warns other people who might feel the same way as I do that they'll regard it as a waste of time. If people like looking for nanos on guard rails they can ignore my log, if they hate them they may be saved a wasted trip.

Secondly it lets the CO know that some people don't like that kind of search. They don't have to do anything in response but at least they know that some people prefer an inventive hide to the kind of thing where you are just trying every possible one of many hiding places, and the addition of thorns or stinging nettles makes it less likely people will bother to look at all.

And the cache owner has to spend two extra seconds of his life deleting your snarky notes. Good job.

The cache owner doesn't have to do anything of the sort. If they don't like my comments they can delete them but nobody is forcing them to do so. If they don't want comments on what people thought of their caches they shouldn't hide caches. If all people want is unadulterated praise they should go cry to their mummy.

I do a pretty good job of avoiding caches I don't like through my own recon -- Google Earth & the cache page including logs, for starters. If I chose the wrong cache, I wouldn't go around blaming and berating the CO.

I do a pretty good job of avoiding caches I don't like through my own recon -- Google Earth & the cache page including logs, for starters. If I chose the wrong cache, I wouldn't go around blaming and berating the CO.

Where did I berate the CO in saying I (note, that's me, not the CO) couldn't be bothered to search for their small cache on a very long metal fence?

Some people like searches like that, others don't. It's funny how some people complain about "TFTC" logs and others complain about honest logs. If I'd bothered to take the time to find it would the people who say I shouldn't be writing "really couldn't be bothered with this" then be complaining about a log that said "found it but really don't know why I bothered, it's not a fun search and not a nice area"?

Which goes back to my original assertion, if all people want is unadulterated praise they should go cry to their mummy.

Which goes back to my original assertion, if all people want is unadulterated praise they should go cry to their mummy.

We're not talking about giving unadulterated praise to COs who hide caches that one finds undeserving of such. We're talking about the etiquette and usefulness of leaving snarky comments in their logs. There is a very distinct difference between these two actions.

Edited by Chrysalides

It is suprising how many people equate rudeness with honesty...

"found it but really don't know why I bothered, it's not a fun search and not a nice area"

These caches are not my cup of tea although others do enjoy them. Thanks

Not sure a cache log is the proper place to forward a personal agenda at the expense of other cache owners.

Where did I berate the CO in saying I (note, that's me, not the CO) couldn't be bothered to search for their small cache on a very long metal fence?

Some people like searches like that, others don't. It's funny how some people complain about "TFTC" logs and others complain about honest logs. If I'd bothered to take the time to find it would the people who say I shouldn't be writing "really couldn't be bothered with this" then be complaining about a log that said "found it but really don't know why I bothered, it's not a fun search and not a nice area"?

Is there a middle ground of a "diplomatic" log? Honest but not too harsh? Maybe??

I always write individual logs that address my experience at the individual cache. That's why I don't do many power trails. I think my max has been 10 on a power trail. I would never do a nano power trail - unrolling and rolling the tiny scrolls would drive me nuts. Maybe I'd right about how the tiny scrolls drove me nuts and say it slightly differently each time.

Nano 1 - Man that tiny scroll was hard to get out of the button nano.

Nano 2 - I had a hard time writing in tiny print on this log.

Nano 3 - These tiny scrolls are driving me crazy.

Nano 4 - I was surprised that this one wasn't on the left side behind the sign, but rather on the right side behind the sign. I'm starting to get carpal tunnel symptoms in my hands.

Nano 5 - My fingers are going numb.

many thanks for my daily chuckle... :laughing: