Multi Leading back to Stage 1

coodie

Just want to get an opinion. The building where I work has 3 light poles in the parking lot that I can view easily from where I sit. No caches within the 1/10 of a mile from here and I'm thinking of a multi using the usual skirt (at the base) of the light poles. And here's the idea. First stage would be sitting on the base under the skirt, visible as soon as you lift it. This stage has coordinates leading to the next light pole (stage 2). Stage 2 would be coordinates leading to the 3rd light pole (stage 3), and stage 3 would be coordinates leading back to the first stage light pole with instructions telling the cachers to look closer in the skirt of the light pole. Then the actual cache would be magnetized to the actual skirt thing that lifts up.

Is this original? Do people do multi's that lead back to the first stage? I don't want to waste people's time if the consensus is that it would be dumb.

The light poles are just 13 parking spots away from each other.

Also, how do I make it so people don't give it away in the logs? Just put a note in there "try not to give it away when logging" or something?

Thanks ahead of time.

Edited by coodie

At this stage (pun intended), you aren't inventing anything.

Not sayin' that it's a bad idea -- not at all. Might be a real winner, if you do it without light poles, and somewhere outside of a parking lot!

:):lol:

You may want to review the Minimum Distance Guidelines regarding physical stages of placement.

You can ask folks not to create spoiler logs, but that rarely works. Just be ready to encrypt a log now and again.

I question that you can delete a log just because it is a spoiler -- http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=204

According to the guidelines, the stage distances shouldn't be an issue.

"Additionally, within a single multi-cache or mystery/puzzle cache, there is no minimum required distance between physical elements."

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

Thanks for the responses! I may try and go for it. Just gotta get permission from the building owner (I think...or possibly the city?).

I don't see any problem. I've heard of at least one cache along those lines, although it took a longer cycle around a lake, as I recall.

In case someone someone finds the final first -- think of the case where stage 1 gets lost, for example -- make sure to mark the final in a way that allows them to realize what you tried to pull and what they dodged, providing them with an extra dose of satisfaction.

If you want to be really daring, hint at what's going on with the cache title so some people will suspect right away.

... First stage would be sitting on the base under the skirt, visible as soon as you lift it. ... Then the actual cache would be magnetized to the actual skirt thing that lifts up.

What if I walk up to the first pole from the back side, and when I lift the skirt I don't see your first stage? My next action will be to lower my head down, and look up into the skirt, thereby possibly spotting the final.

Not saying it's a bad idea, but you'll need to make dadgum sure that I spot the first stage upon first look. Maybe have several, with them on all 4 sides. That works until someone moves them all to one side. Or wrap the first stage all the way around the post.

I do like the basic idea however. :anibad:

What if you made it a lockbox where the coordinates to stage 2 were on the outside of the box and whatever the penultimate stage is would have have the combination to the first stage. I actually kind of like the idea of returning to the first stage since sometimes multis can end up taking you really far from where you parked.

As for the hiding spots...I think I speak for most everyone here when I recommend you try to find more interesting places than light pole skirts to hide the stages.

I haven't seen this exact variation, but I have seen multi-stage caches where:

• I could touch the first stage with one hand while touching the second (and final) stage with the other
  • the route looped back so the final was very near the first stage
  • all the stages were within a short distance of each other (even within one corner of a parking lot)

My main concern about the design you described is that someone would find the final stage first. Be sure that the first stage is VERY obvious, and/or that the final stage is VERY well hidden.

Great advice here all. I love the idea of a lock box, I may see if I can incorporate that. I was also thinking about how to do stage 1 to make certain they don't look around and find the final. I was thinking a rubber snake with the coordinates to stage 2 written on it. Think that would scare people too much?

Edit* - Just found and purchased a Kidde AccessPoint Stor-A-Key Locking Key Case on Amazon for 7 bucks. Looks to be the appropriate size for what I need! I think I'll go with this for the first/final stage. And I'll put the other stages somewhere other than light poles to make it more interesting, since the consensus seems to be that all light poles is not the way to go.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Edited by coodie

One more thing. I've become a fan of using non-containers for the earlier steps of a multi-cache. If the non-final stages are metal tags or other non-containers, then there's less chance that someone will leave a "replacement" log at an early stage, rather than completing the multi-cache and signing the log in the final container.

One more thing. I've become a fan of using non-containers for the earlier steps of a multi-cache. If the non-final stages are metal tags or other non-containers, then there's less chance that someone will leave a "replacement" log at an early stage, rather than completing the multi-cache and signing the log in the final container.

That's smart! If I did use a container, I'd clearly label it "NOT FINAL STAGE" or similar.

Just want to get an opinion. The building where I work has 3 light poles in the parking lot that I can view easily from where I sit. No caches within the 1/10 of a mile from here and I'm thinking of a multi using the usual skirt (at the base) of the light poles. And here's the idea. First stage would be sitting on the base under the skirt, visible as soon as you lift it. This stage has coordinates leading to the next light pole (stage 2). Stage 2 would be coordinates leading to the 3rd light pole (stage 3), and stage 3 would be coordinates leading back to the first stage light pole with instructions telling the cachers to look closer in the skirt of the light pole. Then the actual cache would be magnetized to the actual skirt thing that lifts up.

Is this original? Do people do multi's that lead back to the first stage? I don't want to waste people's time if the consensus is that it would be dumb.

The light poles are just 13 parking spots away from each other.

Also, how do I make it so people don't give it away in the logs? Just put a note in there "try not to give it away when logging" or something?

Thanks ahead of time.

How about changing it up slightly.

Stage 1: Skirt

Stage 2: Skirt

Stage 3: Flat electrical plate painted to match the pole, put above eye level so it is not readily obvious.

I've found one here which does precisely that - although the final container is a bit better hidden than how you describe - quite an engineer the chap who made it. Quite clever, although I'm sure that if I saw it every other week it'd become boring. Personally I'm not sure it's worth it with a lamp post cache tbh - perhaps save the idea for something cooler?

I think you have to rely on people not giving it away in their logs, yes. And then check them and ask people to change their logs if they are being too specific.

One of my cache ideas was to post a sign at Stage One, where cachers get the first clue. They visit the other stages and then end up at that first sign, which has a hollow space for a cache log. Stage One being the Final would have to be a very uncommon practice, at least in any given area. It could be fun, and even a little mind-bending if done well. And as mentioned, it's probably an idea best saved for a cache that’s not a bunch of lamp skirts. :anitongue:

But as Blur Square Thing mentioned the issue of not giving too much away in the logs (like “I didn’t expect to end up at the start!”), The Cache Owner will also wonder about logs that give too little away (like “Easy! TFTC!”) -- where the CO can’t tell if cachers are in fact doing the Multi or not. If they are, all stages are fine. If they instead are finding the log immediately, the other stage conditions are unknown.

There's a multi with a puzzle nearby me that did something like this. The cache description says "don't let it make a monkey out of you". Some of you know where this is going... The first stage was indeed a LPC with coords for stage 2 in the woods. Stage 2 has the locked container, but also hidden rather cleverly are coords for stage 3. Stage 3 sends you back to 2 where some think they are looking for the key.... to the "puzzle".

What if you made it a lockbox where the coordinates to stage 2 were on the outside of the box and whatever the penultimate stage is would have have the combination to the first stage.

I was going to suggest that. That could be rather neat.

I actually kind of like the idea of returning to the first stage since sometimes multis can end up taking you really far from where you parked.

I haven't seen this with multi stages like this, but I did a "flashlight required" cache (using reflectors on trees) that took me in a circle ending up about 20' from where I started. That was pretty nice.